Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here, new choice!

Hello everyone!

I had a surgery date with the gastric band on May 27th, paying cash. Looks like an omen as I just got a new insurance card in the mail and it turns out that United Health Care/Oxford bought my insurance company and they cover the VSG 100% with a $250 deductible. Of course I was jumping for joy because at the bariatric seminar last month, I was very interested in the sleeve but I knew I could not afford it. It was around $6,000 more than the band (about $24,000). I am so so exited now, I can't sleep! I will have to wait til July for my new insurance to become effective but the benefits were already quoted to the surgeon's office. It takes less than a week to get approval as long as BMI is over 40.

I cannot believe this as my luck is never this good. My luck usually would have been to get banded end of May, then get the new insurance card in the mail AFTER...lol Unbelievable!

One thing I wanted to ask opinions on is how long after surgery did it take you to be able to function? Also, how many days is average hospital stay? I will probably have the surgery on a Thursday and will most likely have to be back at work on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Does that seem possible? I am the only one in the office so it's hard to get coverage for many days plus summer is VERY busy, so I'm hoping I won't be down for long.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Lori

Hello everyone!

I had a surgery date with the gastric band on May 27th, paying cash. Looks like an omen as I just got a new insurance card in the mail and it turns out that United Health Care/Oxford bought my insurance company and they cover the VSG 100% with a $250 deductible. Of course I was jumping for joy because at the bariatric seminar last month, I was very interested in the sleeve but I knew I could not afford it. It was around $6,000 more than the band (about $24,000). I am so so exited now, I can't sleep! I will have to wait til July for my new insurance to become effective but the benefits were already quoted to the surgeon's office. It takes less than a week to get approval as long as BMI is over 40.

I cannot believe this as my luck is never this good. My luck usually would have been to get banded end of May, then get the new insurance card in the mail AFTER...lol Unbelievable!

One thing I wanted to ask opinions on is how long after surgery did it take you to be able to function? Also, how many days is average hospital stay? I will probably have the surgery on a Thursday and will most likely have to be back at work on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Does that seem possible? I am the only one in the office so it's hard to get coverage for many days plus summer is VERY busy, so I'm hoping I won't be down for long.

Thanks,

Lori

Hi, Lori! Welcome to VST! That is so great that your new insurance will cover the sleeve. Woot! I took about a week before I was really feeling back to myself. After 4 days I was off pain meds and it was more uncomfortable than anything, and that same day we actually went to a movie so I was a little more normal. I'm a college student & had my sleeve done over Christmas break so I really can't say on how long it take to go back to work. I had a good 13 days before I needed to come back to school so I got to enjoy being lazy & having my fiance take care of me. :blushing:

This forum is a great place to find both information and support. Love this place!

I had my surgery a week ago today I have short term disability through my work I am still off but depending on what you do the pain is less every day. If your are a person that does not lift anything an your can get up anytime then you should be good I woke up today better than any

Hi all,

Thanks for the quick responses. I should have mentioned that my job is a desk job so I wouldn't have to lift or move anything at all.

I am just so darn excited!!

Lori

Hi Lori! You should be excited, this thing ROCKS!!! You should also be able to go back to your job fairly quickly....at a week out, unless I looked at my scars or pushed on the largest one (where the stomach comes out), I literally couldn't even tell that I'd had anything done. I'm in physical therapy and went back to work at 10 days with no problem, so you'll probably be fine in your job, although you may get a little pooped out before the end of the workday!

Oh, and welcome! :blushing:

Hello everyone!

Thanks,

Lori

What great luck!! It couldn't have turned out any better. July will be here before you know it. I took two weeks off of work, but I honestly feel like I could have easily come back to work after a week. I did feel a bit tired by the end of each day right after surgery, but that quickly goes away. Best wishes to you!

I noticed some people talking about a pump post surgery? What is that?

Congratulations! That is great! I have United and mine was covered also. They said initially that my BMI had to be over 40 and that was all. Then after being denied they said I had to have psych eval and nutrition visits 4 timesafter and 1 before the surgery. So just double check that you need nothing else. But then it was approved quickly and I'm already scheduled. I'm so excited for you and we will just be a couple of weeks apart.

I have a desk job in the medical field and I wondered about going back to work also. Someone replied to me that they were okay on day 5 for our type of job. I'm hoping that's true because just like you it is hard to get coverage when I'm out. Good luck to you!

Congrats, and good luck! Everyone is different when it comes to this procedure. I could not have gone back to work. I felt real crummy (like flu symptoms), tired and weak for about a week and a half. But, so many people here have had no problem. I think it's easier the younger you are are. I am 59, so it took me longer to feel better. But feel better you will! You won't regret getting the sleeve. I almost went with the banding, and I am so glad I didn't do that now.

I had revision band to sleeve surgery on a Friday, went home on Sunday, and was back in the office (I work from home) part of the day on Monday. I only took pain meds for a few days. I also had my gall bladder removed and a hiatal hernia repaired. The hardest part of sitting at my desk was that my back got tired pretty quickly. So just take lots of breaks if you can - get up and walk around, etc. They'll have you up and walking in the hospital a few hours after surgery, so this is something you're supposed ot be doing anyway.

As for a pump - my doc gives an automatic pain pump that you wear on a halter that lasts about 3-4 days post-op. It had 2 tiny tubes running out of it that went directly into my abdomen below my breastbone. When it was empty I pulled out the tubes myself and tossed it all in the trash - easy breezy!

And thank goodness you aren't having a band! Those things are a pain the booty!

I hope everthing goes well and I wish you luck.

Congratulations on being able to have the WL surgery you prefer! Now you have time to prepare yourself. This message board is a very good venue to explore and ask what you may about the sleeve. I was in the hospital for 4 nights. I left the evening of the 5th day. I hadn't any serious complication just was given a blood transfusion. Most people are in the hospital approx. 3 days and a few have actually gone home the same day...(something I can't personally fathom).