Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need to quit drinking!

So I'm about 5 weeks out and am having a REALLY hard time doing the "no drinking" rule with my meals. I've lost a bit over 25 pounds the first 4 weeks and now at week five...nothin....seems to be at a stall---could this be the reason why? I am SO THRISTY all the time. It's so hard to get in our liquids so I just thought..."I gotta drink whenever I can!"...I've been having the feeling that I'm sabatoging my weight loss. I've noticed that I can eat a small portion and then in like an hour or so will go back for more of my protien...maybe this is detrimental too. Any thoughts??? I may just throw my scale out and weigh at Dr. appt's like some of you do so that I don't worry about it so much.....

Take the glass off the table before you eat.

It can flush the food through faster and that may lead to you being able to eat again within an hour. It takes me about 3 hours to be able to eat again at 11 months out.

You won't get the satiety level if you continue to eat and drink at the same time especially this early out. I still wait 30-45 minutes after a big meal to drink. I sometimes take little, tiny sips just enough to wet my whistle if I'm eating something super spicy or salty.

I had a hard time too going from sipsipsipsipsipsip all day long then transitioning to real food and "poof"! no drinking around meals to what adds up to be hours of the day... What works for me and hasn't hurt the weight loss at all is this: I don't worry about not drinking before a meal, in fact I drink right up until the food is on the table, not a lot but a few sips of Water or whatever. During the meal, I drink, like Tiff, only if my mouth gets really dry or over spiced and then only a tiny sip. I try to avoid drinking with meals. After the meal, I found by accident that it hurts like hell if I try to drink a normal drink right afterwards and for 30 minutes or so after the meal. After that time frame of 30 minutes, give or take, I'll start working sips in again if I feel the urge. Hasn't affected my hunger or weight loss "rhythm" at all. I did quit wasting $$ on beverages in restaurants because of this routine. Sometimes I'll take the Water, have my sips and give the rest to my husband or it just sits. Don't beat yourself up, you'll figure it out. Good luck!

C

I'm wretched at not the not drinking when eating cuz that makes me totally throw up! But, its the all day sipping. Today I've been setting the timer on my phone for 15 minutes and then taking a sip. Then resetting...then sip and so on. I'm feeling so much better today. The hydration thing is super important! One of the symptoms of dehydration (which I think is messed up!) is nausea and vomiting. Hang in there. We will get this and have cute little butts soon enough.

I'm worried about this, too. I live in the desert and already drink all day long, and not in little sips! What am I going to do when every mean means 1 1/2 to 2 hours of no drinking? AUGH! I get dehydrated overnight, and I only sleep three hours at a time a drink in between! **breathe, Kaitey breathe**

I've been having trouble with this one also. I also find that I BURP BURP BURP. When I'm eating I frequently have to burp to get the food like out of my throat. Its not annoying, but could be embarrassing if I ever eat out again. Im 5 weeks out also and that not drinking thing is a beast. I wish someone could just slap my hand everytime I do it wrong...LOL:001_smile:

I adhere to the no drinking during meals or for 30-45 mins after a meal. I do, however, drink right up until I eat. I havent' had a problem doing this & it gave me more time early out to get in more fluids. Now, at 9 months out, I have no trouble getting in enough liquids. I actually can't drink right after a filling meal b/c it is very uncomfortable for me. Depending on what I ate I *must* wait 30 mins to an hour before I can resume drinking without causing discomfort.

What helped me in the beginning getting in the habit of no drinks during a meal? (BTW, I was one that would go through 5-6 glasses of tea or coke during a meal pre-op! So this was a HUGE change for me.) Early post-op, I wouldn't even have a drink around me when I sat down to eat. If we went out to eat, I'd order me a drink & ask for it to be put in a "to go" cup. Then I'd scoot it over where it was out of reach.

I think the main reason for the no drinking during meals rule is to prevent the liquid from flushing the food through too fast causing you to eat more & more frequently. It's best to try very hard to make this rule a habit. I know it's hard, but believe me...if I can do it, then anyone can do it!

Thanks you guys...all the advice really helps! I think I will get the hang of it. It's just one of those things that is so automatic that it's hard to break the habit. I haven't even tried soda yet...which I'm not much of a soda drinker anyway...but do any of you have problems with soda? How about wine or cocktails? We had friends over at the pool last night and had some beer and wine and I didn't even indulge because I forgot the rule about alcohol~ plus I didn't get IN the pool because #1...I have'nt lost THAT much weight lol and #2 I don't know when we can go in pools or jacuzzi's and the such?? I'm sure at 5 weeks out it's fine though right?~? LOL I used my incisions as the excuse although it was more due to my #1 reason!!! :biggrin2:

I was cleared for alcohol around 3.5 months post op. I drink soda occasionally now that I am further out. It's empty calories, and it may cause a lot of discomfort for you since you're so early post-op.

I wasn't allowed to get in pools/ocean until all my incisions had healed completely. I couldn't take baths either, it had to be showers only.

You can break that habit. It may just take some time.

Thanks you guys...all the advice really helps! I think I will get the hang of it. It's just one of those things that is so automatic that it's hard to break the habit. I haven't even tried soda yet...which I'm not much of a soda drinker anyway...but do any of you have problems with soda? How about wine or cocktails? We had friends over at the pool last night and had some beer and wine and I didn't even indulge because I forgot the rule about alcohol~ plus I didn't get IN the pool because #1...I have'nt lost THAT much weight lol and #2 I don't know when we can go in pools or jacuzzi's and the such?? I'm sure at 5 weeks out it's fine though right?~? LOL I used my incisions as the excuse although it was more due to my #1 reason!!! :crying:

No soda (or coke as I say :biggrin2:) for me. I stick to Propel & unsweet tea. I can't stand Crystal Light anymore & regular Water seems to upset my tummy for some reason. Propel or G2 Gatorade (if Propel isn't available) is my go to drink.

I was told no baths, pools, etc until all incisions were healed completely. I waited a month & was fine.

keep the liquids away from you when you eat. eat slowly. set a timer for a half hour or longer. when i eat my stomach is full, and I mentally check on it still feeling full. usually i am not so full after 30 or 40 minutes, that's when i begin drinking again. It's just a new habit you will need to create. As for alcohol, I read that you should wait 4 or 5 months, and then be careful because your new stomach will get you plowed 3 or 4 times faster than before surgery. Good luck

I adhere to the no drinking during meals or for 30-45 mins after a meal. I do, however, drink right up until I eat. I havent' had a problem doing this & it gave me more time early out to get in more fluids. Now, at 9 months out, I have no trouble getting in enough liquids. I actually can't drink right after a filling meal b/c it is very uncomfortable for me. Depending on what I ate I *must* wait 30 mins to an hour before I can resume drinking without causing discomfort.

What helped me in the beginning getting in the habit of no drinks during a meal? (BTW, I was one that would go through 5-6 glasses of tea or coke during a meal pre-op! So this was a HUGE change for me.) Early post-op, I wouldn't even have a drink around me when I sat down to eat. If we went out to eat, I'd order me a drink & ask for it to be put in a "to go" cup. Then I'd scoot it over where it was out of reach.

I think the main reason for the no drinking during meals rule is to prevent the liquid from flushing the food through too fast causing you to eat more & more frequently. It's best to try very hard to make this rule a habit. I know it's hard, but believe me...if I can do it, then anyone can do it!

I went to my pre-op class and this is actually the way my Doctor's office teaches thier drinking rule. You can drink until the first bit of food hits your lips, and then 30 mins after the meal. I was pleased to hear that.