Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i had a colonoscopy & a e.g.d . colons ok , but doc found a hiatus hernia in my esophagus. will this cause problems with my sleeve surgery :001_huh: .............. i see my bariatrix doc next week . ( great guy by the way ) dr paul b. wizman margate florida .:thumbup:

i had a colonoscopy & a e.g.d . colons ok , but doc found a hiatus hernia in my esophagus. will this cause problems with my sleeve surgery :001_huh: .............. i see my bariatrix doc next week . ( great guy by the way ) dr paul b. wizman margate florida .:thumbup:

My test also found a hernia and the dr. said they would not repair it because it looked small. Well, the day of my surgery when he was actually operating he could see it was much bigger and fixed it. No problems, just a 2 of 1 surgical procedure. I was worried when I heard that I would have extra recovery because of it but I noticed nothing.

Good Luck!

Diane

Hiatal hernia repair usually happens during the sleeve surgery. It's not a big deal, just a little more discomfort during the recovery. It's good to get it fixed.

i second the notion of what ouroborous says its not a big deal, my surgery is set for Monday and they are fixing the hernia during the sleeve surgery.

I didn't even know I had a hernia, but Dr. Aceves told me prior to surgery that they are very common in obese people and if when he got in there he saw anything he would take care of it. I really don't know that I felt any different post op then I would have.

My girlfriend had a really sizable hiatal hernia repaired during her surgery. I know how big it was because the surgeon and basically everyone on his team kept commenting on how huge it was.

The only real side effect she noticed during her recovery (which was very, very easy, according to her) was that when she'd take a deep breath there would be a little "hitch" that felt weird (and hurt a little at first). She said it could be alarming if you didn't know what it was. So maybe, if you're aware of it going into surgery, it will help you be prepared for it after the surgery. And honestly, it will really help your quality of life afterward to get it repaired :biggrin0: