Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey guys and dolls, I was just viewing the 100lbs in 4month thread and OMG, I am now salivating. I was wondering what the average man and woman can lose in say 2-4 months? My evil bf's dad lost 62 lbs since mid Jan with the bypass and he is getting no exercise and has a ton of Co morbidities. I am super impressed by his success and am so proud that he is doing so well.

That being said can anyone shed light on what is typical for the sleeve say 4/6/12 months out. I weigh 300lbs and am 5'5. My surgery is coming up soon and I am getting so excited by all of your post. I realize that everyone losses differently and honestly at this stage of the game as long as I am consitantely losing I really dont even care if its 2pounds a week. In a year thats a 100 and would effectively change my life. :(

From what I understand, higher BMI's tend to lose faster than lower BMI's (more to lose). Also, men tend to lose faster than women (I know, it's not fair).

I've seen a pretty consistent trend for men of 40-50 pounds in about six weeks. Of course, your mileage almost certainly will vary. As one of the Y-chromosome challenged set, you may lose a little slower, but I still wouldn't be surprised if you were able to drop 20-40 pounds in a month.

Yay someone responded, thank YOU. Your getting done a week before me, you have to keep me posted on your aches and cramps and such. I might make a thread for those who are being done in may.

Like I said in my post anything would be great since all I seem to do is gain recently, but wow 20lbs in a month sounds unreal.

20 pounds in the first month is not unreasoable at all!! Especially with a high BMI... you will lose faster. I responded to you in the 100 pound thread....

People all lose at different rates, but the higher the BMI I think the fast it tends to come off.

good luck to you and congrats on your upcoming date!!!

Hi there,

I just wanted to 'chime' in on your question about what to expect and of course it does vary from person to person so I'm told....but my experience has been remarkable.

I had my surgery on March 29th and have been on a full liquid diet since the 2nd day after my surgery. My total weight loss from my pre-op appt (which was March 25th) is 24 lbs. I have been keeping pretty strict to my liquid diet and haven't strayed much. :o

I've been told that with the first 6-9 months you are expected to loose the majority of weight and then maintain from there if you stick to the nutritional guidelines. Expected weight loss is 60% of your total weight...for me I have a goal of 160 lb and I have to say I don't expect that to be a problem since I am hardly every hungry but expect in the next few months I will NOT loose as much because more solid foods will be introduced into my diet.

I eagerly await Week 5...mushy solid foods....yeahhhh!

Well, GOOD LUCK and hope to see more posts on your journey! :)

Rav

I weighed 295 when I started my pre-op diet on 3/16. I'm female, 5'4", 29yrs old. I lost 15 pounds with the pre-op diet, and 20 since I had my surgery on 3/30. So total weight loss is 35 pounds. I'm very happy with the results so far!

Edit: sorry this post looks so bizarre. I was responding to a post that was either edited or removed, so now my post looks weird. In that post someone had said that they would lose "60% of their total weight."

If I lost 60% of my total weight, I'd be a skeleton (330 pounds *0.4 == 132 pounds on a 6'1", broad-shouldered, barrel-chested man).

I think that the 60% figure is "EWL" or "excess weight lost." In other words, if you calculate what your "ideal" weight is (for me, it's around 185 per the height/weight charts), subtract that from your current weight (for me, 330-185 == 145 pounds) to get your "excess weight," and then multiply that number times 60% (145 * 0.6 == 87), you get the expected weight lost.

Now, a few things complicate this. First, every single case will vary. Period. Second, this "EWL" figure is a mean, or average among a number of cases -- this means that some people will lose a lot more, some a lot less, but most will cluster around this number.

Finally, if I recall correctly, this 60% figure is the mean from an earlier procedure (which didn't involve resecting, or removing, a portion of the stomach -- just stapling it). Resecting the stomach removes ghrelin secretion, which apparently is another vector for weight loss -- so the "real" VSG produces more significant (and more importantly, more durable long-term) weight loss.

My surgeon told me that the figure they're seeing for the "real" VSG is closer to 80% of EWL, with some people approaching 100% EWL. For me, 80% of EWL is 116 lbs!

Edited by ouroborous

The gal I know locally, started at 280 and a year later, weighed 145. She went from a size 22 to a 6/8.

She has become addicted to her elliptical machine too : )

She really looks great!

I had my surgery 1/25/10 and I am down 52 lbs as of today. I have stuck to the diet and worked my ass off when it comes to working out. (not everyone can though-it is all about what your surgeon will allow) I have found that I enjoy working out, so I run 7 days a week plus meet with a personal trainer twice a week. The key is to really sticking to that diet though. If you stick to it, yes, you will lose. You will lose fast!

You gals and guys are doing so great. Thank you all for your response, it just is getting me more excited for my big day. I really just need to do the right things once I get sleeved and continue to be in the gym.

The problem over the last few years for me in terms of weight loss has been the effects my big body knocking me off my groove. SO I would go to the gym and in my 33 year old mind I would be all gun ho and go in and do the elliptical for 45 minutes and I felt on top of the world until the next morning when I felt sore and had no energy. So even if I lost some weight I would get depressed about the personal obstacles and end up binging and screwing the whole thing up.

I so look forward to having a tool that puts in as much work as I do so that every week I lose it will let my body go further for longer at the gym which will of course assist my weight loss.

FYI ...i hate my band. For the last 3 years I have thrown up almost everyday and sometimes multiple times. When I got unfilled for a month I gained 20 pounds because finally I was able to eat with out getting sick. Sitting on my Doctors table crying he really insisted that I do another surgery (which he had been saying for a year) so I could finally make some progress since having the band for five years and having little results was breaking me down emotionally.

Anyway Sorry for the rant I guess I am just a ball of fear (of failure) and emotional basket case with nerves and excitement for things to go right this time.>>GRRRR lol, thanks everyone for being so open and helpful.

Slow and steady seems to be working for me. I been very consistently losing between 3-5 pounds per week. I'm just not able to eat that much, so it really has not been hard. Just met with the exercise physioligist, as part of our program, so I really haven't begun exercising on a regular basis that much yet. It seems I am only eating about a 1/4 of what I was before. It has felt good to start getting rid of clothes I'll never need again.:001_tongue:

Hey there girl- I had the band to sleeve revision last Friday in Mexico. I started there at 301 pounds. I'm not posting my weight until tomorrow but once thing I would say to you...is if you can start walking BEFORE your surgery. You will feel better and potentially have a better recovery. It really seemed to help me and not moving/walking isn't so unfamiliar. You are a gorgeous girl....regardless how "fast" it comes off...you will be a knock out!

Good luck

Everybody is different, we all lose at different rates. The day of my sleeve I weighed 275lbs, I lost 23lbs in the first four weeks, and have dropped at a steady 3-5lbs a week since. 12 weeks now I have lost almost 50lbs. I can't exercise due to back problems, but my back is already showing great signs of improvement. My friend who had her sleeve operation on the same day as me, has been to the gym three times a week and she has lost 37lbs. But we are both happy with our weight loss so far.

hugs

Sandra x

I'm going to use the 2 week pre-op diet (starting Tuesday!) as an opportunity to start working exercise back into my routine. For me, it's all about habit changes, and exercise is a habit that I really WANT to acquire.