Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My story with the lap-band is almost identical to Phatcurves.

I lost approx 70 lbs initially, but it has been slowly coming back on.

Barfing almost daily, with runaway hearburn that wasnt being controlled with a combination of script, over the counter meds and tums (all in the same day).

Plus I started having stomach aches..which I think came from the hearburn creating gas(burps) which couldent work their way out. It would go on for hours just to make

me throw up it was so painful. I started making myself throw up to relieve the pain/discomfort. It started a couple of times a month and they went to several times

a week after each meal.

So, I am waiting a phone call from the doc even as we speak to have the surgery

to pull the lap band out, then wait a month and have the sleeve done.

I have been on this board for about a month, and the knowledge here and the people

are UNBELEIVIBLY HELPFUL! Lots and lots of good info.

Make sure you puruse all the boards there are so many!

Good luck on your decision,

Lisa

gatorman, we'll look forward to hearing how your appointment goes tomorrow with your surgeon and whether he suggests the band or sleeve or bypass. Good luck!
Well my surgeons office, said that I can pretty much make up my own mind on which surgery I can do, so needless to say VSG here I come. I met two different VSG patients today at my surgeon's office and they both look great! I can't wait. It looks like I am about 2 months out. I hope to schedule a date within the next month!!!

Very cool. I hope you get your date set up so you can prepare, both mentally and physically. I hope you will keep us posted on how it goes. I'm going to try to give feedback after my surgery on the 28th for those of you who haven't been there, done that, yet.

P.S. My dietician today said that with most sleeve patients they do a very low carb diet for 3 weeks prior to surgery. However for revisions from band to sleeve, it isn't as important. And that's a good thing since I don't have 3 weeks. My BMI is at 35 which is probably lower than for most new sleeve patients.

35 WOW, I wish. I calculated mine last week and I think it was 46.5 or something very close to that. I seriously cant believe I let it get this far. I really need to work on my diet before the surgery so I can feel a little better going into it.

When I got my band done my doctor asked me to do Atkins for a month to shrink my liver and I did it religiously and lost 20lbs in 3.5 weeks. Although my current doctor only wants me to do liquids for two days prior I think I should do low carb again and see if I can drop the 20 I GAINED in 5 weeks while my band hasnt been filled.

BLAHHHHHHH

BJean, I will definitely keep everyone updated on my progress. I hope to get the okay today from my financial adviser and if I do I will start the next step. It was funny yesterday since the doctor said he would never tell a patient to do one procedure over another if he didn't medically have to, but he would always advise a Sleeve if the option was there.

phat, I think the same thing about me and the low carb thing but I'm having a hard time actually getting started!!

gatorman, interesting that your doc advises a sleeve if possible. That sounds good to me!

I am 100% convinced of the sleeve too. I met a lady who had had the LB 10 days prior to me meeting her and she looked great and raved about it. I Q&A'd her and when she showed me where her port was and let me see it, all I could think was "gross"! I didnt want the port! So that did it for me...

My Dad and one of my sisters have both had the RNY and have had success with it. My sister doesnt look really that healthy, but the more research I am doing and the more questions I ask her and others, I am discovering that she is not taking her Vitamins or supplements that she should be taking. She also doesnt do any Protein supplements that I know of. She is experiencing what I believe is "dumping" too. Yuck! I dont want to have to suffer with that just to be thin. So the RNY is not something that I really considered either.

So, having said that, I started researching the VSG and I am sooo ready! My insurance will not cover it, so I am gonna be cash-pay.

I havent discussed any of this with my husband either, because I knew that given the history with my sister, he would NOT be supportive. So I have read, and read, and read....and I have answers to most of the questions I think he will have, or reasons he will come up with.

Good luck to you! This site is an unlimited supply of information!