Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well as of Friday I have been officially downsized from my job of 11 years!! Been a very tough weekend to say the least! My job required all white tops and blue pants, well I just finished cleaning out my closet. I have to say that it took out over half of my closet to get all of those clothes removed. Before this I had alreday removed 18 bags of clothes that were too large, but I still had MANY bags to get rid of.

I will never understand the fact that seniority means nothing anymore! My manager had reminded me many times that he does not believe in seniority!! So what good is it to stay at a job for a long amount of time?? I do have a lot of vacation coming to me and my retirement! WOW who gives a crap! I would rather have my job! I get max unemployment so no need to worry but I'm still just PISSED!!!

Thanks for letting me vent!

Bernadette!! I'm so sorry to read this! Are you in a profession that will be easy to find a replacement job? I worry about this because I'm in a specialized profession. I've been with the same company for 16 years and out of 800 employees I'm #12 for seniority. As head of my dept I feel pretty secure, but the world is crazy right now. I just want to make it to retirement.

How can we keep you cheered up? Can you take a vacation? We're all here for you. Heck, if you're in the Bay Area, I'll feed you dinner. Hah! I just realized what a cheap date you'd be so I guess I'll make that Breakfast, lunch and dinner.< /strong>

when God closes one door, He opens another : )

It truly has become all about dollars and cents. Seniority and loyalty mean nothing anymore. You truly have to watch out for yourself because no one else is gonna.

I gave up on the corporate world many years ago. I have been self employed since 1991. My husband lost his job due to city politics after 14 years of employment, promotions and obtaining a hard to get speciality license. He has been self employed, in the same field, since 1999. There have been some very difficult times due to the economy after 9/11 and the current downfall, but at least we are able to make our own decisions.

We have been fortunate to currently have a great group of employees. They are thankful to have a decent job when so many are unemployed and we are grateful for their hard work and flexibility. We can't always keep them busy full time and haven't done raises in over a year, but we did add health insurance for them and their families, and try to do extras, like lunch, frequently. We have only had one out of seven take advantage of the situation, so not bad.

Sounds like this could be a great time for you to find a job that is fun rather than dollar focused?? I actually love little specialty retail stores and would love to get back into that : )

Good luck with your transition! Turn it into a positive :thumbup:

Hi Lee & Janet!

First of all let me start by saying thank you, for being there! It has been such a crazy few days! You know I was in management for 20 years, made VERY good money and decided that I wanted a life! I took a job thatI absoltely loved, it paid well and had a great retirement. Well here I'am after 11 years and i find myself out of a job. You know if it were not for the fact that I just turned 50, I don't think it would bother me near as much!! It is tough finding someone that wants to take on someone who is "OLD' LOL

Lee I'm looking forward to taking you up on that dinner, you know I'm a cheap date!!

And Janet, we are going to get together!! And soon, I would love to meet you face to face!

Thanks ladies, you mean the world to me!

Hey, the thick and thin (no pun intended) sorts out who among us will create friendships that last a long time. I'm glad you were able to speak up Bernadette!

Bernadette -

I am very sorry to read this. Although I don't really "know" you, I know you based on your many posts since I've been on this board. I can tell that you have a good head on your shoulders and will make the best of this once you get through this tough period. I can't say that I know how you feel since I've not experienced this myself, but I am sending you prayers. Things can only get better, right? I wish you the best:):biggrin2:

Thanks Lee!!

I hope we can stay friends!! I really need the friendship right now!!

Hey VV

Even if we do not "officially" know each other, we can still be friends! Thanks so much for your encouraging words, i know God has something planned for me!! It is just so very hard to see it right now!

Hope you are doing well!

Sorry to hear this Bernadette -

But I fear it every day. And yes... I'm at the "50" age....... and don't think it would be as ez for me to find a job...but I have never been without one.

It pisses me off.. that senority means nothing..loyality means nothing.....pnw said... God closes one door and Opens another.. and I have had this happen soooo many times.. that I am a true believer.... but it is still difficult to go thru.

I wish you the best of luck.. and am sure you will make this a "positive"....

But as

Hey Chancie!!

Thank you for your kind words!

You know I have learned to dread the dreaded 50!! So much has happened in such a short time! I turned 50 in January!

For me this job search thing is new too, I have always had people call me and say "Hey come apply here" I'm scared to death about trying to find a "new" job!! I know that something else is out there for me, I just have not found it yet!

PS you are a true inspiration to ALL of us!!!

B~

I bet you're going to find a job that makes you really happy.

I get it about the 50. I'm about to turn 60. WooooHooo! I mean... holy crap! :biggrin2:

Holy CRAP is right Lee!! This turning 50 stuff is not what I thought it would be!!

you know the good thing about all of this, is that I get good a good amount of money to sit home. I'm going to try my darndest to find something that I really want to do! I have worked hard my whole life, and had decided years ago I would not work past 60. Well time will tell! I will take my retirement money and invest it, or hopefully roll it over into my new company...what ever that might be.

Thanks for the support :biggrin2:

Attagirl B~, great attitude!!

Bernadette, I am sorry to hear this news. It's absolutely ridiculous about the seniority issue.

I hope you are able to find another position that makes you happy. Enjoy some down time, and maybe plan a little vacay. YOU deserve it ! ! !

I know you will be ok.. but am very worried about my job too.

I am threatened EVERY day..... and it's no way to have to live or work.

I'm trying to get my ducks in a row... and a resume... sighhhhhhhhhh........ I like what I do.. but hate the politics!!

But if it happens... I'll try to draw unemployment and go to school for something.......

G'Luck hun!!