Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's a go but have some mental issues

It has been hell of late, 11 days to be exact. Bad stress test, then cardiac cath and there is nothing wrong with me, just a false reading. UGH! So I see the Psych next week which I am NOT worried and I have approval for surgery. YIKES. I still have some mental issues though I did not want to bring up at the Psych. I thought it would be better to hear from all of you. In my mind, I think about "Will this work for me", Will I be able to follow the plan" Will I be unhappy that I can't eat the things I want", "will I still want to eat them?", What if it doesn't work". Going to Mexico in November to an all inclusive which we do every year, will I be so "on the program" by then that it won't phase me?:001_tongue:

So from all of you, I need some in sight. Am I the only one who thinks these things. I see so many success stories that it should lift me up but I am so scared I will be different. Will I be hungry? Will I be full? Can I g et all that Protein in? I don't work so I get up about 10:30 and eat and then don't eat lunch because I have dinner at 5. So about 4 I get really hungry. DoIj ust drink a Protein shake at 4 and hold me over. What if I don't get 60gm of protein in, will my hair fall out. I am 60 so my hair is thinning anyway. I have not seen the nutrritionist yet, they said 2 weeks before surgery. I guess they will answer some questions but I really need to know "Am I the only one who thinks these things?":ohmy:

I think all the emotions and thought processes you are having are normal for a lot of pre-ops. For so many years, we diet, we lose, sh*t happens, then we gain and feel like a failure. The one thing to keep in mind during this times is that you have to wrap your mind around your success. Positive breeds positive. Don't dwell on the negatives right now. Remember, the post-op diet is only temporary. In a few weeks to a couple of months, you'll be able to enjoy your favorite foods again. Grant it, the portions will be smaller, but you will be satisfied eating what ever your little heart desires. If you eat something, just count it in your daily intake, and enjoy it once you are off the post-op diet. I indulge in some very naughty foods that most people would never allow themselves to enjoy. It's a slippery slope, but at the same time, I know what happens when I deprive myself too long of something I want. I end up binging on it, and then all my hard work goes out the window. In my opinion, I never felt like I had control of my eating. I could diet, and lose then I would gain it all back plus a few more pounds. I never thought I stay on plan until the sleeve took away the hunger, and I changed my relationship with food. I never have the strange desire to just go to the fridge and gorge myself like I did pre-op. I still love food, I still love being able to have a few bites of white-chocolate raspberry swirl cheesecake, the very best part of all of it is, that I know when to stop. I can't remember a time when I split a dessert with anyone. A couple of weeks ago, I split a dessert with 2 other friends. It was great to feel like for the first time that I could push the plate away, and not want one last bite or huge slice of dessert.

On the hair loss, getting 100 grams of Protein a day isn't going to stop the Hair loss. There's members on here that got their Protein in the first weeks after surgery, and they lost just as much if not more hair than I did, and I didn't start getting even close to 60 grams of protein a day until I was nearly 2 months out. Start taking Biotin now, that will help with new growth. But, the hair loss is temporary, and guess what, it grows back. I promise :001_tongue:

I don't eat Breakfast either. So, I have to eat a little bit later than other patients. I hate most traditional Breakfast foods. I hated them pre-op, and it just didn't change for me. You may have to eat every 3-4 hours like I did to get in your calories, and protein. I set a reminder alarm on my cell phone to help me remember to eat.

By November, you should be in a routine, and living life fairly normally. I honestly don't feel like I had surgery most days because I just order what I want, and bring the leftovers home then eat a little more a couple hours later.

This will work if you want it to work. The sleeve itself is only part of the equation. Remember, you always have us to lean on. When you have a bad day, blog about it. When you aren't sure what to do next, post a thread for us to help you through it. You aren't alone, and we'll do our best to be your biggest cheerleaders.

Tiff, does Biotin require a prescription or is it over the counter?

OTC, I got mine at Wal-Mart. I never took it on a regular basis. I also used Folicure extra care Shampoo that I read about on OH. I picked up a bottle at Sally's beauty supply for about $6-$7. I started getting new growth even when my hair was falling out by the handfuls. I had super thick, coarse hair, and I lost half of it. I only used the Folicure every other day because it can dry your hair out. I also used Nexxus Dualiste Anti-Breakage shampoo and conditioner on the opposite days of the Folicure. I had a lot of dead hair at the ends, and didn't color, highlight, or use my flat-iron during the losing stage. I rarely used my blow dryer, and was extremely gentle when washing, brushing, or doing anything with my hair. I wore a ballcap A LOT when the occasion permitted.

Tiff-Thank you thank you thank you!!!!! Your response made me feel so much better about things. I never was a gorger, more of a grazer because I don't work. On a nice day, not a problem, I amout of the house! When it is pouring or 3 feet of snow, I tend to graze more. I also lose no problem, but then get too comfy and gain it back. I am looking forward to the smaller portions acutally. My daughter wanted to go to Applebees the other nite because she is on weight Watchers (she weighs about 130 haha) and they have a new WW menu so I thought I would be supportive. So we both order WW Entrees and it came and I laughed for 5 minutes. The steak was maybe 3" diameter, 3 small new potatoes and a handful of brocolli. I was like "so this is correct portion size?" My stomach actually was satisfied after but it took my brain to get it. I look forward to the restriction but it is just so new and different from anything I have obviously ever experienced. I know I will very excited when I get a date. I weighed 143 in 6th grade, 185 when I got married 37 years ago and about 230 now so it is all I know. Again thank you for your constant support to everyone on this forum! Carol

Carol...I am having my band removed and sleeve done on July 2. The questions you asked were some of the same ones I also was wondering about. Even after a year I wonder do you still have good restriction or when they cut the hunger horomone out ( the hormone that your stomach puts out that is at the top part of the stomach, that is removed), does that always help you to not even wanting to eat?? I worry because of so many gastric bypass people end up gaining their weight back?? Go luck and thank you. Sharon