Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight lost? - Formula

I know this is somnething many have asked.... but when I had my first consult the surgeon said I would loose about 73% of excess weight.....

The 2nd surgeon said he works on a formula which blows all the % out of the scale, as it takes everything into consideration, height, weight and BMI..... he is one of the leading surgeons inthe world on sleeves and is actively teaching/lecturing worldwide as well as operating.

He reckoned, after researching all his prior patients (including DS as well) that you take the pre op BMI divide by 3 and add 14. That would then give you your new BMI after weightloss.....

Sounds a bit weird I know, but with me that would make my BMI 25.7.

I wondered for those of you who are post op and maybe at goal..... how does this theory work for you?

Kathy

That's interesting, but it didn't work out for me??? I don't think there can really be formula because there are so many variables involved.

Thanks deedee - it'll be interesting to see what others say, I think he worked thru with a mathematician taking all of his case historys into play....so as a rule of thumb it could be this......but with no guarantees.....

I'm ever hopeful tho!!

You should be ever hopeful and should make it to your goal with the help of this wonderful tool. For me I've actually lost more than that formula says and I could lose even more if I worked at it, but I'm very happy in present weight range. Good luck!

With that formula, I would end up with a BMI of 27, which is still considered overweight for my height. My doc wants me to have a BMI of 23-24, and I think that weight will be good for me. I'm almost there...I can see that light at the end of the tunnel.

I don't even know what my bmi is.

I had a pre op bmi of 40 and now I weigh 133 (or at least I did before my cruise,:thumbup1: will weigh when I get home)

I know I am a size 8 now and at 57 years old, I don't want to weigh any less than I do.

I think it's pretty easy to lose 100% of your excess weight, and I know many people that have done that!

Interesting formula, but it didn't work for my stats.

My surgeon's goal weight for me was 150 with a BMI of 27.4

My current weight is actually 132 with a BMI of 24 just barely normal.

With that calculation, my BMI would be over 29 kicking almost back into the obese category.

I worked that formula and it says I should end with a BMI of 27 or 28. Interesting because my surgeon said that he would consider my surgery a success if I got to 30 BMI and fantastic if I got to 25. So this calculation is right in between!

I'd personally like to get closer to 25. :)

Well guys I've lost 10 more pounds this month. . . total is 63 lbs in 11 weeks. . . not too shabby

You fricken rock chickee ! ! ! I wish you could come to the Dallas meet up.

I'm below that BMI right now by 2 pts. so it's sort of right. I'm not done losing, but it's coming off SLOW now. What I was told, the lower your BMI the slower you lose. Tiff, that true for you now that you're below your goal weight?

I'm below that BMI right now by 2 pts. so it's sort of right. I'm not done losing, but it's coming off SLOW now. What I was told, the lower your BMI the slower you lose. Tiff, that true for you now that you're below your goal weight?

I honestly think I'm the oddball sleeve patient. Because I'm having to snack, and eat more carbs to maintain my current weight. If I were to go back to VSG dietary guidelines for losing, I could easily drop another 10-15lbs pretty easily. I promise I'm not trying to brag, but it's just how my body is working right now. If I don't eat 1200-1300 calories with 60-80gr of carbs, and 70+ Protein a day, I lose weight. I've also had to add in more veggies/fruits, and even fruit juice. Regular Gatorade instead of the low cal stuff, and the like. This is to help combat the loss of good fats, and higher complex carbs that are now difficult for me to digest due to the gallbladder removal. I really hate not being able to eat avocados, nuts, and other "healthier/good" choices, but I kept losing, and was having major diarrhea that was compromising my hydration. It's been a weird balance for me.

If I do anything other than toning and weight training, I lose. So, I've had to cut cardio out completely.

I just don't think I'm normal. I've only lost about 25lbs from late December to late February. But, it's dropped in large increments, like 5-7lbs in a week, then I'd hang onto that weight for a couple of weeks, and wake up and have dropped another 5-7lbs.

Maintaining is definitely more difficult than losing for me. I've struggled more with maintaining, and trying to make the best choice since deciding that I am happy at 130lbs. My surgeon is in agreement that I'm at a good weight. He said if I lost a few more pounds, not to fret, but I toyed with 129 for a week or so, and I just felt uncomfortable because I really didn't see my loss stopping.

OK, you're obviously the WRONG SKINNY B to ask! LOL!!:):)

I think Mac and Wasa and there's a couple others on OH that had or are currently struggling with the same issues of maintenance.

It's weird, that's for sure.