Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Need encouragement

Hello,

Where do I start. I was skinny thru school, got married, had 2 children, gained alot of weight. I now have 2 beautiful granddaughter's. I'm considering the vsg. I'm thinking of going to Mexico & using Dr Almanza. I've read alot of good things about him from all the postings. Two factors for me are safety & price. I'm scared of the unknown, going to a foreign country & being put under. I've been put to sleep before, but still get nervous, My insurance won't pay the surgery.

I have high blood pressure, stress incontinence, bad knees, sleep apnea & diabetes runs in my family. I can't even remember what I used to look or feel like.

Know that I have the opportunity to have the surgery I'm scared to make the decision. Do I deserve it! To be healthy and thin again. I just want live a longer healthier happy life and be there for my kids & grandkids. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Texasgirl

Do a lot of research on any of the surgeons, and the facilities that they practice out of.

As for the surgery, you listed many of the reasons many of sought out WLS to begin with: Living longer, healthier and happier.

You deserve it, and no one should tell you any different.

Best wishes in your research, and research, research, and when you think you know everything, research some more.

I'd have to agree with Tiff, research until you become comfortable with the decision. You sound like you have great reasons for getting healthy again, but at least for me, my head had to be completely into it so that I could make the right decisions and lifestyle changes post-op. Just remember it's only a tool, but a darned good one that makes this journey so much easier.

I agree with Tiffy & DeeDee...research is key. I know I did, for almost a year before I chose my surgeon. I had 2 surgerys in Monterrey, Mexico. One for lap band, the next, after 3 years, to remove band and revise to VSG. I stayed at San Engracia hospital both times, so I can only speak about that one. It was IMMACULATE. The cleanest, I've ever seen and I've had 3 kids, 3 other surgery's in the U.S. It is a private hospital. The nursing staff was unbelievable, tended to my every need. (and I had a lot of 'em...the first 3 days I dry heaved non stop) My doc answered his cell every time I called him (even at 10 pm at night!) My coordinator was awesome. When my daughter lost her purse (with her passport in it), she got on the phone and within an hour security brought it to our room in a plastic bag, not a thing missing. The hotel we stayed at was a Marriot, which was also immaculate. Nothing at all bad to say about my experience. Hope this helps!

It looks like you live in Texas. I've seen some pretty amazing deals from there, but I don't know about surgeons. Any Texan sleevers out there that might be able to provide some local or somewhat local options?

I have been to Dr Almanza twice and I love him! He does a great job and he is not bad to look t either.

I had the band for 9 months until it started causing problems. I had mt band out and th sleeve done on Dec 30th 2009. It was the best thing I could ever don for myself, the sleeve make eating easy.

Good luck to you! Bernadette

Hello,

Where do I start. I was skinny thru school, got married, had 2 children, gained alot of weight. I now have 2 beautiful granddaughter's. I'm considering the vsg. I'm thinking of going to Mexico & using Dr Almanza. I've read alot of good things about him from all the postings. Two factors for me are safety & price. I'm scared of the unknown, going to a foreign country & being put under. I've been put to sleep before, but still get nervous, My insurance won't pay the surgery.

I have high blood pressure, stress incontinence, bad knees, sleep apnea & diabetes runs in my family. I can't even remember what I used to look or feel like.

Know that I have the opportunity to have the surgery I'm scared to make the decision. Do I deserve it! To be healthy and thin again. I just want live a longer healthier happy life and be there for my kids & grandkids. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Texasgirl

I agree! I would never have expected to have surgery out of the country. My insurance wouldn't cover sleeve surgery, and based on what I read here and a local gal I met who went to Mexico, I did it!

I did go to Dr. Alamanza. His staff was great! The clinic isn't big and fancy but it was clean and efficient, and that's what counts. The recovery house was great too.

If you want more info about that experience, let me know.

Good luck with your decision!

How long did it take and what research did you do to make your decicsion to go to Dr. Almanza. I just don't want to make the wrong decision.

Thanks for all of your input!

Edited by Texasgirl
wasn't through

I spent about 3 days immersed in reading info online, emailing coordinators and clinics for info, and reading about experiences on this website. At first, I was sure I was going to do the lapband, primarily because it was reversible. I think that would have been a huge mistake based on what I have read about complications and revisions. I happened to meet a gal thru work who had surgery in Mexico a year ago so was able to talk to her face to face.

As you research, you will find that many clinics have several coordinators working for them. Think of it as a salesperson representing the service. As I found out while in Mexico for surgery, these coordinators are not all equal and I was very fortunate to have hired a good one. I don't think I am allowed to post her info but can send you a personal message. She is usually present for her clients' surgery and recovery. Others are not.

I am usually very frugal but I told myself this wasn't the time to pick the cheapest option out there. I based my decision on the coordinator who communicated with me the quickest with the least amount of pressure. I also based my choice on airfare. It seemed a couple of clinics were receiving equally positive reviews and were similiarly priced, so I calculated airfare in as well. For me it was less expensive to fly to San Diego and go to Tijuana, and I have been to Tijuana so was familiar with the area. I was also able to book a Southwest flight which is a huge advantage. They are one of the few airlines who allow you to change or cancel your flights without penalty. The unused funds are available for another flight within one year or you can rebook immediately at the going rate but without a penalty. My concern was if I wanted or needed to extend my return flight home. I did change my flight, but flew home earlier in the day! :(

I was very happy with my surgery experience in Tijuana and would go back for other procedures if necessary or elective.

Thanks for the info my email is sharon8524@embarqmail.com I haven't told my husband that I'm considering this. Having to get up the nerve. He just wants me to be happy, healthy, safe and what's best for me. I don't have any idea of what he'll think when I tell him that I want to go to Mexico for the surgery.

obesity help also has a listing of all baritric surgeons w/ lots of patient comments on each, and unlike here negative comments don't get deleted.

I have your email address if you want to edit and remove it. Ya never know who's out there lurking : )

I have used Dr. Almanza twice in fact!! I would trust him with my life, I did! Now if you need a lot of hand holding and a big hospital you will not find it here, it is a surgery center, not a hospital. I was totally OK with that because I have had surgeries in clinics before. Dr. Almanza is an excellent surgeon, don't let anyone tell you different.

If you have anymore question PM me I will be happy to answer any and all questions!

Bernadette

I used Dr Kim in Dallas. There are several providers in Dallas area with reasonable pricing. I am 10 days post op and everything is going well. I am recommending it to my sister.