Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thought I was off my month long plateau- turns out I am not!

I posted a few weks ago about my weight loss struggle. I had surgery on January 14th- VSG, and lost 14 pounds in the first two weeks. I was nevery put on a liquid diet since my BMI was 'low'. In the following weeks (as of Janaury 28th until last week Tuesday) my weight was stuck at 177 pounds. I have been drinking 64 oz of Water, getting in a minimum of 70g of Protein, and keeping my calories between 800 and 850 a day. I have also been exercising 4 times a week- initially just taking long walks.

Last week I decided to cut carbs down to under 40g a day- I keep it at mostly 20g-30g, but some days I will be at most at 40g, and only get my carbs from protein sources like yogurt. I also got cinnamon pills to regulate my blood sugar (I have not been tested for insulin resistance, but was trying to be proactive). I also started dance fitness classes and try to do those four days a week- an hour long, but they involve vigorous cardio. On the days I work out, I drink an extra Protein shake to balance the calories out.

My weight went down to 175.6- and I was feeling good. Yesterday, I jumped on the scale, and I am back at 177. Today the scale is at 177 as well!!! SERIOUSLY ! It has almost 6 weeks since surgery- and this is meant to be the honeymoon time. What could I possibly be doing wrong? I have spent the last hour crying in frustration because I don't understand why this is not working for me. Even for people who are 'slow losers' at least the scale moves!!!

Odd, it is impossible to beat the laws of thermodynamics ( I know lot's of people like to make money writing that you can magically...) but it is a matter of energy in and energy out. That said, there are a ton of a factors that may be contributing to your stall... a big one would be salt and Water retention... I know that I am craving spices like CRAZY right now and have taken in more sodium than I am used to....

couple that with less calories and maybe you are holding Water.< /p>

Also what was your metabolic rate when you did your test are you within normal range? If so then it is impossble to hold energy when you are expelling 1200 or so a day...

remember too 3600 of calories is a pound the leaner you get the slower you burn (since you don't need as much to sustain you) So if you are only dropping 400 calories a day 1200- 800 = 400 it should take a week before you see a pound... so yu can see how water or many other factors (periods) ..vutualy anything can mess with those numbers and your emotions.

Stay the course... stay focused and watch what happens.

By the way Dr. Diane Schwazbien once wrote that you have multiple set points along the way... you may be at one and it is just your physiology making adjustments before the next round :001_tongue:

Good job, keep up the good work! you will reach your goal!! Take care~Kelly

I posted a few weks ago about my weight loss struggle. I had surgery on January 14th- VSG, and lost 14 pounds in the first two weeks. I was nevery put on a liquid diet since my BMI was 'low'. In the following weeks (as of Janaury 28th until last week Tuesday) my weight was stuck at 177 pounds. I have been drinking 64 oz of Water, getting in a minimum of 70g of Protein, and keeping my calories between 800 and 850 a day. I have also been exercising 4 times a week- initially just taking long walks.

Last week I decided to cut carbs down to under 40g a day- I keep it at mostly 20g-30g, but some days I will be at most at 40g, and only get my carbs from Protein sources like yogurt. I also got cinnamon pills to regulate my blood sugar (I have not been tested for insulin resistance, but was trying to be proactive). I also started dance fitness classes and try to do those four days a week- an hour long, but they involve vigorous cardio. On the days I work out, I drink an extra protein shake to balance the calories out.

My weight went down to 175.6- and I was feeling good. Yesterday, I jumped on the scale, and I am back at 177. Today the scale is at 177 as well!!! SERIOUSLY ! It has almost 6 weeks since surgery- and this is meant to be the honeymoon time. What could I possibly be doing wrong? I have spent the last hour crying in frustration because I don't understand why this is not working for me. Even for people who are 'slow losers' at least the scale moves!!!

Last week I decided to cut carbs down to under 40g a day- I keep it at mostly 20g-30g, but some days I will be at most at 40g, and only get my carbs from Protein sources like yogurt. I also got cinnamon pills to regulate my blood sugar (I have not been tested for insulin resistance, but was trying to be proactive). I also started dance fitness classes and try to do those four days a week- an hour long, but they involve vigorous cardio. On the days I work out, I drink an extra protein shake to balance the calories out.

I wanted to cry with you. I am so sorry. I really don't know what to say - this is a MAJOR bummer. Do you have a nutritionist that you can talk to? It sounds like you are doing all the right things, there must be a trigger that will help you get past this plateau.

I am definitely sending you cyber hugs right now. Just try to keep your head up and keep following your plan. The weight HAS to come off.

oh sweetie that has got to just kill the vibe of everything maybe you should try a liquid phase for a while when the scale not moving that what i would try here a BIG HUG

Thank you guys for all the thoughts- and cyber hugs. In between my crazy crying, I called every endocronologist (sp) in town and have an appointment for this afternoon. If I am weight loss resistant, or have insulin issues, or have hormonal imbalances, I need to know NOW!!! I know I have been following my Doctor's orders to a tee so I am really frustrated. Arrgghhh!

oh sweetie that has got to just kill the vibe of everything maybe you should try a liquid phase for a while when the scale not moving that what i would try here a BIG HUG

Maybe you are not getting in enough fluids...so a liquid phase for 3-4 days to just see what happens might be a good idea. Be sure you are drinking more than the recommended 70 ounces daily if you are exercising...because you are losing a lot of Fluid with your workouts. The body needs Water to dump the excess pounds.

I feel for you... it does get harder to lose the closer we get to target weight and the farther out we get from surgery.

Since you have ramped up your exercise, while you are building muscle, the muscle tears or gets little rips in the muscle tissue as we have to break it down to build it up, and needs Water to repair therefore causing some Water weight/retention. It is very temporary. When I first started lifting real seriously, my muscles burned, and I would go up and down on the scale 0.5-1.5 pounds for a couple of weeks.

You are doing everything right, but your body is so confused, and trying to compensate. It's scientific, you're burning calories, building muscle, burning fat, and your body needs to adjust. I know it's frustrating, but you just have to know that you are doing everything right.

I know advice from a preop probably isn't helpful, but maybe now is a time to focus on all the NSV and stay off the scale until you can see some victories else where as well. I've been tracking your progress and I admire you! Its great that you being proactive, but you will get there. Thanks for posting.

Thanks Wannalise.... I asked my fiance to get rid of the scale. I can't believe a gadget can make you feel so awful about yourself, so I am done with it. (This time for real :001_tongue:

I would suggest you take some baseline measurements ie chest, waist, hips, thighs & arms. Once every wk or two measure again and use this for your benchmark...put the scale away for a while. My mom isn't a WLS patient but she has been battling weight gain for a while and in the past mth she's only lost 7 lb but 32.5 inches overall. You did not do this surgery in vain,you will be successful. I'm believing and agreeing in prayer with you.

Cooper:

You are actually buiding muscle and you think the scale is torturing you, but if you take measurements you ll see a huge diference.

I also had a "low" BMI and its been slow if I compare with the huge portion of the people in the forum. I have not exercise but my Dr. told me once i start i most probably stop loosing at the rate i have been loosing.I know I should start my rotine but i honestly dont like to exercise.

Excuse my broken english!!

Coopersmama, take it easy; one step at a time. I suggest you get a thyroid profile one to rule out any hormone issues. Then take up brosk walking at least 30 minutes a day. The stall has to break and it will break. BTW, while I am losing weight, I am also fluctuating between my weights, a pound or two gets added and lost in a day or two. I have now understood to be a little patient and relaxed. All will be well.