Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

I'm Spaz. I'm a 30 year old woman living in Los Angeles, CA. My weight loss story is similar to most. I've been obese most of my life including my childhood. food was always a comfort to me in the worst times of my life. I have also been at the other end when I starved myself in high school and actually fit into a size 2, which didn't last for long.

I met my surgeon for the first time about six years ago. That's when gastric bypass was still the only surgery out there. I got frightened, felt I was giving up, and told myself I can do this on my own. Two years later I was back at his office hearing about bypass and the lap band and again got those same feelings and never did anything about it. Then came the end of 2009.

I was staring 30 in the face and still had not lost any weight and only put on more. I decided in December that I was going to have WLS because it was my only chance to get healthy. I met for the third time with my surgeon in January of 2010. At that point I was at my highest weight ever, 302 pounds. I didn't falter this time. I made an appointment for my pysch evaluation before leaving and did that in just a couple of weeks. I'm currently involved with a six month nutrition class that is required by my insurance.

I'm hoping to have surgery in June. I have thought about the lap band but after all the stories I'm considering the sleeve very heavily. I am getting more information at my next meeting so I can read more about it, but I think it is the one for me.

I will keep you all posted on my journey.

Also, I managed to lose 7 pounds between January 8 and my second nutrition appointment. I gave up my affair with Diet Pepsi cold turkey and haven't missed it since.

Spaz you are not alone.

Good for you in making your decision!!

I am new to the board myself, but I find the love and support here invaluable!

Looking forward to getting to know you!

Hi, and welcome to VST.

The sleeve is fabulous, I've had the band, it was deplorable. Research, research, and we'll all be here to help as much as we can for you during this time.

Spaz, I went through a similar journey for about 8 years. I actually had everything ready to go and my insurance denied me the first time around (I was 25 then). Appeals did no good, so I gave up. Then I lost weight with a hospital liquid weight loss plan - 115 lbs! I gained it all back and more as the story usually goes . Finally, I started researching WLS again but did nothing for 3 more years. Then one day, my friend told me she was having bypass and I thought - that's it, I'm not living like this anymore (age 32)! I cashed out my IRA, went to Mexico, got the sleeve, and I haven't had a regret in the 8+ months since my surgery. For me, the sleeve was the best option - less "rearranging", fewer complications, and less long-term maintenance.

Keep your focus, do your research, and go with what you think will be best for you. Don't let fear or other's opinions steer you away from enjoying the rest of your life as a healthy person! You are worth it! Good luck with your journey and keep us posted on how things are going.

Thanks for the support. I found this website through LapBandTalk which I have been quite a bit. I'm very happy to be here and I'm reading everything as quickly as I can. My surgeon actually said that bypass was my best option but I don't want that and think I can do well with the sleeve.

I was 302 on the day of my surgery and so far I've done great. I'm glad I didn't go with the bypass.

Thanks for the support. I found this website through LapBandTalk which I have been quite a bit. I'm very happy to be here and I'm reading everything as quickly as I can. My surgeon actually said that bypass was my best option but I don't want that and think I can do well with the sleeve.

I wouldn't trade my sleeve for just 2 years of malabsorption with the RNY, and a lifetime of possible Vitamin and nutrient deficiencies. That was a huge reason why I refused to revise to RNY when I got my band out.

Not to mention, the regain stats, and number of patients that seek revisions due to complications or weight regain just kept me away from RNY.

I have a friend that is considering getting RNY b/c her insurance will not cover the sleeve. She has BCBS if anyone has suggestions. I told her to fight it, but I dunno if she will.

I wonder what is the UPSIDE of getting RNY over sleeve?

Great use of your IRA Carrie! :thumbup1: If my insurance hadn't just started covering the sleeve, I would be cashing out any and everything I could to pay for the sleeve.

I have a friend that is considering getting RNY b/c her insurance will not cover the sleeve. She has BCBS if anyone has suggestions. I told her to fight it, but I dunno if she will.

I wonder what is the UPSIDE of getting RNY over sleeve?

I honestly can't see one upside to RNY over the sleeve considering that all the published studies show the EWL with sleeve is extremely close with RNY initially.

The revision rate for VSG is less than RNY, and the complications with nutritional and Vitamin deficiencies are definitely higher with RNY.

Welcome to VST. I too found this website through lapbandtalk. What a lucky day that was for me!

Spaz80, Welcome to the forums!

Welcome Spaz80. You will find a lot of good information here on this site that will help you make your decision. You are on the right track.

I saw my PCP last night at a meeting she was having for her patients and we got to talk a little bit. She told me in no uncertain terms was I to get a lap band. Most people don't lose all the weight and we talked about the complications of it. I told her I was thining about the sleeve and she kind of had a funny look on her face almost like she didn't know about it. I explained it to her a little and she's going to do her own research and get back to me. Either way she's thrilled that I'm moving forward and doing what I need to do to get healthy. :crying:

My pcp had never heard of the sleeve either, but when explained to her, especially that I could have similar results to the bypass without the risks of malabsorption she was incredibly supportive. Good luck!