Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does it mean if food feels clogged in your throat?

I'm so tired of that. Maybe it means I am eating too much, or that I have acid reflux.

I eat cream Soup, for instance, and want that satisfying feeling in my tummy. But all I can feel is it is in my throat for about 30-45 minutes.

I read to only eat 2 oz, hadn't heard that before. But of course with soup they say you can eat 1/2 cup. I'm probably rushing things.

I wonder if I have head hunger. I want to eat big amounts of good food. I am just wanting to RUSH through this whole healing process so bad. It is really hard for me. I don't think I made a decision fully knowing how little I could eat during this time. I paid cash so they rushed me through so fast. So I think a lot of it is my emotions are really having trouble catching up with the physical limitation. I can see most of you don't struggle with that like I am.

The weekends are the WORST for me cause I gotta cook for everyone and there is not enough to do for distraction.

I took a prilosec tonight for the first time. My doctor said he doesn't prescribe an antacid normally unless needed. Am I just as well off with Prilosec as with a prescribed antacid?

Tomorrow is another day, thank GOD it is Monday for me.

I'm so tired of that. Maybe it means I am eating too much, or that I have acid reflux.

I eat cream Soup, for instance, and want that satisfying feeling in my tummy. But all I can feel is it is in my throat for about 30-45 minutes.

I read to only eat 2 oz, hadn't heard that before. But of course with soup they say you can eat 1/2 cup. I'm probably rushing things.

I wonder if I have head hunger. I want to eat big amounts of good food. I am just wanting to RUSH through this whole healing process so bad. It is really hard for me. I don't think I made a decision fully knowing how little I could eat during this time. I paid cash so they rushed me through so fast. So I think a lot of it is my emotions are really having trouble catching up with the physical limitation. I can see most of you don't struggle with that like I am.

The weekends are the WORST for me cause I gotta cook for everyone and there is not enough to do for distraction.

I took a prilosec tonight for the first time. My doctor said he doesn't prescribe an antacid normally unless needed. Am I just as well off with Prilosec as with a prescribed antacid?

Tomorrow is another day, thank GOD it is Monday for me.

I think you may be right...may be swallowing a bit too fast...take a break, about 2 minutes between bites or swallows. It feels like an eternity and is really very hard to do...but it gives the valve at the bottom of the esophagus time to open and let the soup pass through into the stomach, before you take another sip.

Also, I do think you will find the prilosec helps. Acid may be irritating your lower esophagus and making the valve spasm a bit. Let us know how things are doing in the days ahead.

Pumpkin:

You are not alone. I feel the same way regarding not being able to eat yummy food! I was sleeved 2 days after you in Houston, TX by Dr. Miranda. I feel miserable on this liquid diet! I want to at least eat tuna or chicken or even Baby food!!! When I smell food that others are eating around me my mouth waters! I think about sushi (my favorite food) and my mouth waters! I know this is all mental but it is really disturbing me! I have an appt with a doctor tomorrow and I'm going to discuss these feelings with him and hoping that maybe I can join a support group or something because it's worrying me! :tongue_smilie:

How much weight have you lost since your surgery? I've only lost 9 lbs and it worries me as well, don't know If it's ok or too little...

Sury

Hang in there pumpkin. I had that same full feeling high up in my esophagus...I thought that the feeling of satiation or fullness would never again feel normal and that lasted several weeks out. I was really frustrated and now at 5 months (and only for the last 3 weeks) the things I eat (providing I take my time and not swallow things without chewing well enough), I feel full in my tummy and FINALLY, it feels great...like it feels like I ate a whole lot of food even though I didn't eat much at all. I am just beginning to appreciate having the sleeve. It really took a while for me, longer than most. I was encouraged and supported here and I only hoped things would improve and it has so have patience and be encouraged it definately does get better and you will be able to enjoy food again only in smaller amounts. By the time you graduate to that point you will be somewhat conditioned to eat slower and appreciate the food you can eat. I still have to be careful with certain foods, I tried a pork chop a couple of days ago and the meat got stuck in the middle of my chest even though I thought I chewed it well. Sometimes chicken can get stuck there as well but I am not worried there are so many other foods I now can enjoy.