Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can someone analyze what I'm eating pls?

Morning: scoop of Protein Powder mixed w/ 1/2 cup of non fat milt and 1 cup of Sugar Free Chocolate pudding= 220 calories

mid morning: 1 scoop Protein powder, 1 cup clam chowder, 1/2 cup milk=200 calories

lunch: 1 scoop protein powder, 1 cup Soup (butternut squash, potato, clam chowder or brocolli cheese), 1/2 cup milk=200 calories

Snack: lunch: 1 scoop protein powder, 1 cup soup (butternut squash, potato, clam chowder or brocolli cheese), 1/2 cup milk=200 calories

Dinner: scoop of protein powder mixed w/ 1/2 cup of non fat milt and 1 cup of sugar free chocolate pudding frozen= 220 calories

Total Protein: 100

Total Calories: 1040

Any suggestions? Is this too many calories? Unfortunatley for me I think my gherelin still works fine. I was hoping to have NO hunger, but not the case. Any ideas for fillers w/o the calories? How many calories do you eat?

Thanks in advance!!! Smiles, Kimberly

Hi Kimberly!

I am like you I am still Hungry.

I am not sure if its in my head as I am obsessing over food I think or if I am really hungry???

I was sleeved on 1-28-10 in TJ by Dr. Almanza.

I just started eating mushies and have been pretty confused as to what I can and shouldnt eat. I ate steamed zuchini with cottage the other night and it hurt my stomach really bad and up it all came.

I think it was the cold of the cottage cheese?? I seem to not be able to tolerate cold very well yet.

My hospital coordinator sent me this today and I found it really helpful maybe you will too?

It sort of explains a lot of what is and what isnt ok to eat.

http://www.cornellweightlosssurgery.org/pdf/dietary_guidelines_sleeve_gastrectomy.pdf

Good luck!!

Irene

Your going to feel hunger because liquids run right through your stomach, and all the nerve endings of the stomach have been severed so you aren't going to get a full signal just yet. Ghrelin is still in our bodies for a couple of weeks so it doesn't magically go away for some people immediately post-op. It's a hormone that has to run it's course through our bodies.

If your hungry, how many carbs are in those Soups? For some people, too many carbs causes hunger. Are you on an acid reducer? If not, over-production of acid can cause hunger sensations. Once you get to mushies, you'll see a complete difference in fullness and satiety.

How much Water are you getting in? If you're falling short on water/fluids, drink something calorie free when you think you're hungry.

I rarely get in 1000 calories even today. I definitely never got in 1000 calories early on post-op. I was lucky to hit 600 in a given day until I got to mushies and then I was able to have more soft solids that gave me denser calories. You're doing great on Protein.

Hi Tennessee, well I'm out 7 weeks and have about 500 - 550 calories only a day. . .here is what i have

Breakfast: 1 scoop vanilla Protein powder with 8 oz mootopia milk

lunch : 1/4 c salmon or tuna mixed with 1 tsp fat free mayo, or 1/2 c. cottage cheese, or 1/2 c. ricotta cheese.< /p>

dinner : 1/2 c. extra lean ground turkey in broth or 1/2 c. extra lean ground beef, or 4 slices of 98% fat free chicken slices with a piece of string cheese in it or an egg. .

Sometimes I also eat a string cheese before bed, if my hunger is driving me crazy cause my gherlin isn't gone either. . .but that's about it. . .I have about 8 Vitamins and mineral supplements a day as well, and try to drink my Water to the best of my ability. . . 64oz is just too impossible. . . i get in about 40 oz or so but then i have coffee, etc. . . that could end up about 64oz. .

Edited by thinoneday

I am still hungry and I am on my first week of a full menu. Week 5 just ended for me. I eat 3 meals and 2 high Protein Snacks, and have no problem getting 800 calories per day. (I struggle to keep them under 800, and most days have stayed under 800 or maybe 20 to 30 calories more.

I am especially hungry (and bored) in the evening. I don't have problems with acid -in that I am not uncomfortable, but am I meant to be taking acid reducers for hunger?

Also, I heard that at one point you lose interest in food- when is that? I miss food! I don't act on it, but I miss food. and I really want to stop thinking about it.

I'm almost 4 weeks out and have been having a hard time getting in over 500 calories per day. My Protein has been right at 70, and carbs about 20 - 30 per day. A few days I barely made it to 600. I think once I am able to eat a few more things (I'm on mushies) I will be able to do 600 - 800 calories per day which is what my doc recommended. It sure is a learning process isn't it?

At 30carbs or less your body is probably in ketosis which also takes away the desire for food. I think VSG patients should be more advised on what is going on with the carbs and ketosis and the role it plays. I was happy to go into ketosis but not everyone's body handles it well, it seems. Maybe if you have lack of energy or getting sick try a little increase in the carbs to about 60. I think it would be interesting if people would post their carb intake along with the Protein and calories. I have attached this short article on it, but do your due diligence and google it, learn what is going on, so if you get a side effect you may know how to handle it better before it becomes a problem. Ketones, Ketosis, and Ketogenic Diets, Weight Control, Weight Loss, Strategies for Weight Loss, Dieting, Holisticonline.com

Tennessee, look for the BodyTech Protein pudding at Vitamin Shoppe. That's what I'm planning to use post-op. The Ductch chocolate flavor is sweet, so I make it with 3 oz Water and 3 oz unsweeted soymilk which cuts the sweet just fine.

What about putting your Protein powder into Fage zero greek yogurt. Only 8 carbs per cup an you're only eating 1/4 to 1/2 cup at a time. 20 grams of protein per cup as well so the combo of yogurt and protein powder would be a big hit of protein.

I've also made SF Jello using Isopure for the two cups of liquid. The entire body is 160 calories, 40 protein so four cups of Jello would each be 50 calories and 10 protein.

As you can see, I'm testing things pre-op to see what might work post-op. But heck, everyone says taste-buds change so who knows what the reality will be.

Good luck, you're doing great and everyone is giving you great ideas for getting in your protein early out without too many carbs.

Dr Aceves recommended 30-60 gms carbs daily, and 600-800 calories per day, with at least 70 gms Protein and 70 oz fluids, for optimum weight loss.

Call your surgeon's office and ask what he recommends.

yes, you should be on an acid reducer. Acid in your stomach does not necessarily feel like heart burn. It feels like hunger.

When I tried to go off my acid reducer/preventor, I felt like I was starving all the time.

Oh goodie! I'm so glad you like the Fage. It's like eating sour cream except it's loaded with a ton of Protein and is still low carb. I feel like it's the perfect food. I hope my taste buds still love it post-op!