Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

so lost, what do you do?

I read this site right now with envy and tears in my eyes. I just came back from GYN and was informed that I have endometreosis and will have to have hysterectomy. At 42 yrs old, infertile my whole life, I am now just being told this- why now? It took me forever to finally come to the decision of the vsg! This stops everything, do I continue with my bariatric surgery & hold off on the hysterectomy? I am so lost. I've been so looking forward to my new life. If I go ahead with the hysterectomy I wonder how long I would have to wait to get the go ahead for the vsg. I think if I wait on the hysterectomy & I lose the excess that when I do go in for it, it would be easier surgery/recoup. Has anyone had these two surgeries somewhat close together? What would you do? I have my first consult next week for the vsg, and surgery consult with GYN in two weeks. I just dont know what to do. I need other peoples opinion.

I'm so sorry. I am not experienced at all, just wanted you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Are you in a lot of pain with the endometriosis? Will it be an elective surgery for you that you can wait until later after your VSG? If you lose the weight first I would think it would help with the GYN surgery as long as you are able to wait. Usually endometriosis causes scar tissue in your pelvic area from endometrial tissue implantation and can damage the fallopian tubes, ovaries and also be very painful. I would be very interested to hear what your VSG surgeon says, who should be able to help you make that decision. I'm sorry for this news from your GYN, and surprised at the recent dx after all this time.

Good Luck

I'm very sorry determined1, I agree with "Itstime". I would be sure to inform both surgeons and get professional advise as to the order of the surgeries. If possible get second opinions. My prayers will go out for you. Please keep us informed. As difficult a time this may be remember to be patient and be strong, your still young and in time these issues will resolve.

My 2 cents worth . . .

I had a vaginal hysterectomy at 42, had a very easy recovery and was on vacation in 3 weeks. I was careful not to overdo it but other than being a little sore, it wasn't bad at all. Everyone is different tho; just wanted you to know that it doesn't always take the 6-9 weeks to recover.

Good luck! I hope the doctors can provide you with enough info to make a good decision.

I feel so bad for you. I too suffered with endometreosis...and it's so painful. On top of which you were not diagnosed properly until now. My question is the same as well...is the hysterectomy elective? Mine was not..and I had a complete hysterectomy at 31. The surgery itself was painful but I overdid it and was back at school fulltime one week later so I believe that set me back further. There are so many variables that come with both surgeries to consider...the hormonal changes that come with drastic weightloss as well as a complete hysterectomy. Besides the infertility are you in physical pain? Because mine interfered with my daily life. Once you've done your research as well as consulted with your Drs I feel you will be more informed because ultimately both surgeries will add benefit to your life. I can tell you from experience it took me at least 6 months to feel normal again after the hysterectomy and I have to use bio identical hormones now as well. In the scheme of things how will waiting 6 mos (although I would lean more toward 1 yr) between surgeries hurt you in the long run? In the end, only you will know what's right for you. Please be as informed as possible...you can never do too much research. Good luck and God bless you!

Thank you everyone for your kind words, thought I'd give you a little more backround of me (wonder what the heck i did in my past life to deserve this!).

I've been in SO MUCH pain with periods since I was 15. Dr after Dr told me to just take Ibuprofen or naproxian sod. so I did.

I fought infertility (self pay) for many years even sold my house to pay bills only to be told that I had 'mysterious infertility' (all six of my sisters had children-including my younger who has 14 kids ugh!!) very long story short-My neice commited suicide and her children were put up for adoption, we adopted her 3 kids who are a BIG blessing to me but I still longed for a bio child (even to this day).

During the same week I was told that we have exhausted all we could for infertile treatment (finanically) , I caught (in the act) my dear husband cheating on me (weve been married at this time for 23 yrs). That same night I took the kids and moved 7 hrs away, a city that I knew only one person. I just couldnt be in the same surroundings with this going on. The kids and i have adjusted well 4 yrs now and I believe I did the right thing. enough of my life!

Pretty much ALL of 2009 I bled so December 09 I went in for the ablation (novarsure), I knew that I had a cyst on my left ovary and dr said we would just keep on the birth control to try to disolve it during the next yr and but 8 weeks later I'm told that not only have the cyst not disolved but more grew just in 8 weeks! That brings me up to now, NO Dr has ever told me that I had endometreosis but now it makes sense looking back. I'm not upset that I will lose my overies just why does this have to happen right at the same time that I am planning on WLS? I feel so beat up.

I am going to go to my wls consult next week to see what she says, and week after go to my surgery consult with gyn. not sure right now if its elective but the way the nurse pract. was talking, if i waited the cysts woud only multiply but I SO dont want to put off the wls.. sorry this is so long... i will keep you posted, and thanks for all your prayers.

Determined1, your name says it all. It seems when life gets difficult, someone always says: God won't give you more than you can handle. And there are times when I have thought that I was gonna lose it, and prayed "really God, that's enough! You have more faith in me than I do!" : )

All I can say is one hour at a time, one day at a time. Stress will kill you as fast as almost anything else, or at least ruin your life. I try so hard not to worry about the deadline I have to meet tomorrow, and just take care of what needs to be done today. Easier said than done, I know.

I hope you get the answers you need soon. Please let us know. Stay strong.

Edited by pnw218
typo

It sounds like your endo is very advanced and is a pretty serious case, based upon the bleeding you're describing.

Unfortunately, the symptoms of endo could be other things and without a laparoscopy most women aren't diagnosed.

I had different symptoms from age 15 out and it wasn't diagnosed until 2008. It's a shame they weren't able to catch it sooner - suffering from infertility it should have been one of the things the doctors were looking for.

Infertility is a struggle and I'm sorry that you're having to deal with not only a surgery but the emotional difficulties that come with facing the end of your opportunities to have a biological child.

I did read some interesting information about hysterectomy not necessarily curing endometriosis. It does in some cases, but not all. For me, the lesions are worst on my bladder and pelvic/back wall. I am able to *mostly* control my pain and have a normal life with birth control, but in my case a hysterectomy would only resolve the issues regarding my ovaries and fallopian tubes (where most of the other cysts/lesions are located).

Please do some research on hysterectomy and endometriosis before you opt to do this. Make sure you're more comfortable with the procedure and that you understand what it will do.

On a more positive note, my dear friend had a simliar issue. She had female troubles her entire life, but the final straw was when she bled for fourteen months and finally had to have a full hysterectomy. She, too, was holding out because she still really wanted children with her husband. However, she recovered from the operation very quickly and actually lost almost all of her excess weight in the year following surgery. Her cysts were causing massive amounts of hormones to be pumped into her body, and somehow once everything was regulated she dropped the weight quickly.

I wish you the best. Please do some research before you opt to do this.

Determined1,

I had a complete hysterectomy at the age of 29 and this was after I had already had 3 laparscopic surgeries to remove the scar tissue. I will tell you that removing the ovaries reduces the chance of the endo growing any further. There is alot of pain involved with endo and I completely sympathize with what you are going through. I would definitely do the hysterectomy first to allow your body time to adjust to the lack of hormones or artificial hormones if you are planning on taking any. I personally have chosen to deal with the hot flashes and night sweats versus the side effects of the artificial hormones. As everyone else stated, get a consult from your doctor but having gone through this, I can tell you that your body has a big adjustment ahead of it. You sound like a strong brave woman and I am sure that you will chose what is best for you.

Good luck!

hi just thought I would update. After being obsessed with this site and very determined to get it done ~and now obsessing over sites on hysterectomy alternatives (HERS foundation has alot of info). Dr and I decided to go in and 'take a look around'. Dr says she'll clean it up (?) if all possable and if she has to, take one ovary but if she has to take both, she wants to do a total hysterectomy :( ((I havent agreed to that yet~ thinking if that is the case, I want a second opinion)) I am totally against a total hysterectomy after reading MANY sites, dont think many women who get it, dont need it. I know for some its needed, but hoping I can hold onto my parts. My surgery is April 6th, outpatient, so wish me luck! Dr says this shouldnt interfere with my vsg surgery. I just want both surgerys behind me. Again thank you for your kind words and caring thoughts. God bless!

hi just thought I would update. After being obsessed with this site and very determined to get it done ~and now obsessing over sites on hysterectomy alternatives (HERS foundation has alot of info). Dr and I decided to go in and 'take a look around'. Dr says she'll clean it up (?) if all possable and if she has to, take one ovary but if she has to take both, she wants to do a total hysterectomy :scared0: ((I havent agreed to that yet~ thinking if that is the case, I want a second opinion)) I am totally against a total hysterectomy after reading MANY sites, dont think many women who get it, dont need it. I know for some its needed, but hoping I can hold onto my parts. My surgery is April 6th, outpatient, so wish me luck! Dr says this shouldnt interfere with my vsg surgery. I just want both surgerys behind me. Again thank you for your kind words and caring thoughts. God bless!

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you're doing what is best for your overall health. My mom fought for her ovaries when she had to have a partial hysterectomy.

Determine - I don't know anything about endometreosis but just want to add a note of support. Information is power so you are on the right track on getting as much information as possible and seeking second opinions. Hang in there I'm sure you will find your way.

Kat - I too suffered greatly with hot flashes and did not want HRT. I was able to have my GP do blood work including estrogen, progesterone and testrosone levels and take it to a compounding pharmacy where they wrote a prescription that my GP approved for biodentical hormones. It is a cream I rub in my arm each morning. They are great!