Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just been sleeved

Thanks Barbara. I am not anxious to try this ago soon. LOL Its the first thing that really disagreed with me. I can sure live without it.

How have you been. I am not real sure why I haven't been posting but I haven't. :thumbup:

I've been walking and in a little while am going to Curves for the first time since surgery.

Well dont' stay a stranger. At least post now and then so we can see how you are doing. Curves should be great. I hope you do ok. I started working out as well and I'm definitely feeling it. :(

I've just been sleeved as well. Surgery was 23rd Feb 2010 so am now 11 days out. The surgeon said I should have 2-3 yoghurts and a good bit of Soup before they would let me out of hospital. They forgot this bit and let me out after 1 yoghurt, which took about an hour to eat.

I am just able to sleep on my stomach now, thankfully but not sleeping great anyway. Up til stupid oclock in the morning as just not tired. The acid reflux was horrendous at first and could not be controlled but now it has gone completely and it appears so has all the very uncomfortable gas.

I am a little concerned as don't really know if i'm eating enough/too much. Not had any discomfort, should be on liquid for 14 days but was told to eat yoghurt, custard, Soups etc from day 1, but after 15 days of pre op liquids couldn't stomach any of these except the custard. I have been living on fruit juice and apple sauce with custard (without limit) and have had some ready brek for the last couple of days. I have never really had a "full" or heavy feeling. I am not making huge quantities but worried that this is not normal. I haven't felt hungry but do get an empty feeling. I am supposed to start mushies on Tuesday which I am pleased about as I think I am ready for some variety now.

I am feeling a bit worried as I don't "feel" any different really. I did the first couple of days as it took about an hour to eat a yoghurt but now, no problem. I am also concerned that I lost 14lbs the first week after surgery and then...Nothing.Nada, Zilch. I have only been to the bathroom once since I had surgery as well (despite taking lactulose) Is this normal :wink0:

Hi Nicolab.. Welcome to VST!

It all sounds normal to me! I'm a few days ahead of you. My surgery was on the 17th. I didn't move to the yogurt stage until Day 5. I use myfitnesspal.com to track my food. That gives me an idea about calories, carbs and Protein consumption. I moved to pureed foods on day 15. It felt great to get a little more Protein in.

As far feeling different, me neither! Some days I wonder if I really had the surgery. That said, it takes very little food now to make me feel satisfied. On pureed foods I'm getting in 2-3 oz of ground turkey or ground salmon with a little sour cream or Fluid to puree it. My plan is strict with three meals a day, 4-6 hours apart, no snacking. I've been getting in 64 oz of fluids a day in addition to my three meals. I can eat and drink easily. When I'm getting full when eating, I tend to get these dainty little hiccups. That tells me I'm done!

Keep asking questions and please post often how you're doing!

:thumbdown:Hi Lee,

Thanks for that. You have got a lot more weight loss than me for being only 6 days ahead. Well done you.

I can't tell you how much better your post has made me feel. I am in a support group in the UK but they have not emailed me back from last week and the next meeting is not for at least another week. The VSG is not very common here and there are no people in the support group that have had it, only bands and bypass. I found this site by mistake and have never been on any forum sites before. Hence why I just replied to someones post as I don't even know how to post my own lol.

Thanks again for replying x.

Hi Nicola,

My facility didn't start doing the Sleeve until last November so my support group is mostly RNY with a few bands. There's only one other Sleeve that goes to the meeting.

So to start your own thread, go to the particular forum that you are interested in. At the top of the page on the left side you will see a button that says "New Post". Click that and you can start another thread. I'll look for you!

PS.... I think we're in the lucky bunch if we have to wonder if we've had the surgery. Many people suffer in the beginning stages or have complications. Each time I wonder... I remember to appreciate the feeling.

:thumbdown:Hi Lee,

Thanks for that. You have got a lot more weight loss than me for being only 6 days ahead. Well done you.

I can't tell you how much better your post has made me feel. I am in a support group in the UK but they have not emailed me back from last week and the next meeting is not for at least another week. The VSG is not very common here and there are no people in the support group that have had it, only bands and bypass. I found this site by mistake and have never been on any forum sites before. Hence why I just replied to someones post as I don't even know how to post my own lol.

Thanks again for replying x.

There is much support and sound advise here so welcome. It's the same situation here for me...where there are support groups they are mainly people with the Lapband or who've had the gastric bypass...very few if any sleeves. :crying: This place is a very integral part of my support system. I am also going to a local 12 step group (OA) Over Eaters Anonymous since being near the 6 month out mark I can now eat and nibble more I am seeing my old self defeating patterns once more and need support to handle that part of the equation.

Lan, I was in OA for 18 years, if you ever want to talk program. I think it's a great organization. Gave me a wonderful roadmap for life. Most of my closest friends all were/are in program so we talk gratitude a lot.

Lan,

Good luck with the OA, There is nothing like that in the UK that I know of. There is loads of support and advice on here, been on here all day and have no intentions of logging out yet. Love to hear all the success stories and see the tremendous strengths of character of some of the people that have posted their stories. Truly inspiring x.

I was sleeved a week and one day ago. I have the opposite problem. I feel great and now I am worried that "it hasn't worked" I am not hungry, but have no problem eating or drinking or holding down pills. My biggest challenge is making 1/4 cup of cream Soup last 30 minutes. Please tell me if this is normal. I am going by guidelines and eating according to plan, I am just so worried that my stomach is still there. I know this sounds crazy. And I have lost 15 pounds this week. Crazy. I am scared.:crying:

Mamab3,

I thought it was just me, I can relate to every word you just said. I have no trouble drinking regular sips of tea, coffee, Water juice or anything either. It had crossed my mind that they hadn't really done anything to me, the only thing I have to go on is that my surgeon said I left you with a very thin sleeve only. ..oh and about 5 surgery marks lol. I haven't lost anything since the first week, so really starting to worry now.

The guys on here seem to know what they are talking about, hang in there i'm sure we're not alone and someone will offer us their pearls of wisdom from their experiences.

Nicolab3ll-Thank you for responding. It helps to know i am not alone. Hope I learn how to use this sight more efficiently soon.

Lan, I was in OA for 18 years, if you ever want to talk program. I think it's a great organization. Gave me a wonderful roadmap for life. Most of my closest friends all were/are in program so we talk gratitude a lot.

For me I think the 12 steps are the missing link. I circumvented much of the self reflective work by having this surgery and when I was obese I'd not the patience to endure the 12 step commitment. I now feel compelled to work through my issues and feel fortunate that I've the sleeve as a tool to keep me in check. This is a way for me to find myself anew, sotospeak--something I have avoided my entire life with food as my solace and self as my worst enemy. Having this procedure has not only forced me to consume less but it has compelled me to learn about my nature and potential. Better late than never. I've been fortunate to have always looked younger than my age. People like to say it's never too late however eventually it is. In considering how quickly time passes I think now is the time.

Mamab3, when is the last time you shed 15 pounds in a week? Hmmmm... that should be evidence enough, not to mention lack of appetite, that you've been Sleeved! :crying:

I wasn't hungry until day 10 and by day 5 I was consuming 64 oz of fluids and walking on the treadmill.

Consider yourself lucky!!

Thanks, I know i sound crazy. I am worried about stretching my sleeve because I can eat and drink.....is that possible at all sipping fluids and eating 1/4 cup portions.

Thanks, I know i sound crazy. I am worried about stretching my sleeve because I can eat and drink.....is that possible at all sipping fluids and eating 1/4 cup portions.

Not possible. You may not have as much swelling as other patients post-op. Keep sipping, drinking fluids, walking, and resting when needed.