Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just been sleeved

At 102 Kgs and 40.5 BMI, I got sleeved on the 5th of February, 2010.

This has been perhaps one of the most daring and dragged decisions I have ever taken in my life, which took a lot of convincing of family members, including my husband, in-laws and parents.

Was down 5 Kgs in three days post op and am totally on liquid diet, do not feel like having anything but am going through a fair amount of pain in the stomach especially with a drain still hanging out of my stomach which is oozing liquid (read liquids mix with blood).

While there is no inch-loss to rejoice about :). There are a fair amount of things which are a little inconvenient at this point of time like:

- Pain in the stomach (places of incisions)

- Drain hanging out, a little scandalizing due to the blood mixed liquid oozing out (approx. 50 ml everyday)

- Can't turn in the bed due to pain, have to either sit up right or lie down on my back

- Restrictive movement

- No bowels (only very lose motions...sorry for the grossissity)

- Feeling that I will never be able to eat a plate full of anything

- Medication: have to take crushed tablets mixed with Water which are painfully bitter - any advice of how to better this aspect would be greatly appreciated

Dunno if the above was a somewhat big list of cribs, but I am a mix of elation, pain, amazement that I cut myself up by choice. Just putting it up here for company and words of wisdom (read comfort and company :thumbup:) from my experienced sleeve-mates.

Also, how to get that progress meter into the posts as a sign off?? Would love to put that in.

weight.png

Edited by bitsy11
Adding ticker

Bitsy, welcome to VST! Congratulations on your surgery. I cannot really answer any of your questions, but wanted to let you know that my second week out got SO much better. I've also read accounts of people feeling better after their drain comes out. For your medications, I'd check with your doctor about getting chewable or liquid forms if possible. I really hope you get to feeling better soon...keep us posted.

Bitsy, Welcome!! Please keep us updated on how you're doing!

Bitsy, I'm still not able to swallow pills either. I've found that if I mix them with either Liquid Protein shot, or Crystal light in a small medicine cap it's a little easier to get them down. I too have several that are horrid tasting and it's not very easy to get them down. Hope that helps and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Bitsy my drain was removed but everything else you say I could say. Every last word could have have my words. I had surgery the same day!

At 102 Kgs and 40.5 BMI, I got sleeved on the 5th of February, 2010.

This has been perhaps one of the most daring and dragged decisions I have ever taken in my life, which took a lot of convincing of family members, including my husband, in-laws and parents.

Was down 5 Kgs in three days post op and am totally on liquid diet, do not feel like having anything but am going through a fair amount of pain in the stomach especially with a drain still hanging out of my stomach which is oozing liquid (read liquids mix with blood).

While there is no inch-loss to rejoice about :001_unsure:. There are a fair amount of things which are a little inconvenient at this point of time like:

- Pain in the stomach (places of incisions)

- Drain hanging out, a little scandalizing due to the blood mixed liquid oozing out (approx. 50 ml everyday)

- Can't turn in the bed due to pain, have to either sit up right or lie down on my back

- Restrictive movement

- No bowels (only very lose motions...sorry for the grossissity)

- Feeling that I will never be able to eat a plate full of anything

- Medication: have to take crushed tablets mixed with Water which are painfully bitter - any advice of how to better this aspect would be greatly appreciated

Dunno if the above was a somewhat big list of cribs, but I am a mix of elation, pain, amazement that I cut myself up by choice. Just putting it up here for company and words of wisdom (read comfort and company :biggrin0:) from my experienced sleeve-mates.

Also, how to get that progress meter into the posts as a sign off?? Would love to put that in.

weight.png

I mixed my crushed pill with an ounce of apple juice and had a standby bit of juice to sip along side to wash that bitter taste down. I did that until I no longer had to crush my meds and could swallow them whole. It is no wonder to me that I no longer drink apple juice. I too had that drain with bulb and had to empty it daily and keep a log of the amount of Fluid it contained. I was so worried that when it came time for my surgeon to remove the drain I'd die of the pain. It was painless. Hope it gets easier for you soon.

Bitsy, Congrats and welcome to the loosers bench. What you are going through sounds very familiar. My first few days were no fun for sure. I am in my second week, 9 days post op. I can now sleep on my stomach, almost all pain is gone and feeling great. I had some homemade cream Soup today.

After eating the 6oz of cream soup I was so stuffed and felt bloated. To be honest it felt great, now I know how you feel when you get a full sleeve, the same as a full stomach. You just don't want food, none of it looks good. I actually had concerns about that, I was afraid I would want to eat more even though full. Well, I have drank Water consistantly since about a 1/2 hour after having the soup and I am still full, so all I am craving is water. Don't want to look at any food right now. I tell you this because this is exciting for me, I think this thing will work ..My craving is totally gone for the time being.. So it is exciting and a good feeling once through the first week, as long as no complications develope.

Thanks all you guys for pitching in....cherish this company.

I would surely try the apple juice, hope it works...i tried taking the medicine with milk and almost threw up :001_tongue:

Movement today is much better for me...I could actually sleep on my side for the first time last night - precious!!

I am however noticing two new things:

- lesser control over bladder (need to go to the loo as soon as there is a call)

- slight pain in chest and breathlessness

Also, I have been abruptly getting up from sleep in the wee hours for no reason and it feels like I had never slept...it may be because of the less food intake.

Its been six days to my surgery and am liquid diet comprising of:

• Coconut Water
  • Skimmed Milk
  • Vegetable / chicken Clear Soup
  • Apple Juice
  • and for those who know 'Daal ka paani' (lentils boiled in water)

Day 7 today.

Pain on incisions is much better, I can sleep on my sides with a little more comfort than past days. The eating patterns are changing however, don't really feel like taking any more fluids in.

Can also notice inch loss around the upper part of the body; feel lot less energetic than pre-op days...but as I hear it, the energy levels come back once the regular diet is started.

Drain is still in, and would probably be removed tomorrow or later today. Am looking forward to the drain getting removed and much better agility and movement in the coming days. Don't like being confined to one place for this long.

Rest is cool...was feeling a little cranky yesterday..more because my husband had chicken Curry for a feasty meal when I couldnt even swallow vegie Soup.

Hope its all worth it.

Cheers!!

Welcome Bitsy, the shocking part of it all will soon leave, no you will not be able to eat a plate full of anything ever again, well maybe a saucer full :scared0: . . you will now have to relearn how to eat, drink and live. . . you did your research on the surgery and you wanted it, so now we promise it gets better but you must put all your umph into it as well. . . the tubes, drains, pains, etc are only temporary. . . i was told i could take my pills whole without a problem. . . there is no research that states you must crush your pills. . . you may want to try that. . . if not, then mix it with sugar free puddings. . . that might help. . . good luck and know that this DOES get better. .

Day 8.

Drain was removed. Contrary to some other experiences, it did hurt. The doc cut the stitches first which was slight painful but when the drain started coming out it was one experience. (I did not take any painkiller before getting the drain out, but it would be a good idea to do so). Drain outside was a plain pipe, though inside was a white flat perforated rubber pipe and it did look a little scary.

Felt much better the moment drain came out, but it start hurting immediately after that and the pain still hasn't subsided. Also, I got slight fever after the drain removal and though slept it off and was fine in the morning without any medication. All in all, like other pals said...it is much better after drain removal.

Now the good part, I am down an additional 2 Kgs. Pains are better, slight faitigue is there, heaviness is there in the chest...am off all medication though painkiller is kept for SOS.

Looking forward to losing inches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:drool5:

Thinoneday....thanks for your note....in the shorter term I am just waiting for this thinggy to get over. But do you think the journey therafter is even more painful? Or do you think lost inches and a more beautiful us compensates for not being able to eat a plateful.

Not that anything can be done about it now...just wanting to be better prepared.

Day 9.

Woke up with a pain in the stomach..both in the incision and in the inside of the stomach. Called the doc, he said hang on for a day more and then contact back.

The pain will subside over a period of time but I guess will take a little more time for me.

I want to be able get up and move around as before. Hate having to be confined to the bed.