Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved yeterday and feeling bad

I have suffered terribly with gas from the CO2. I've only been sipping Water and even the smallest sip hurts going down. Is this normal?

Yes, this is normal. Just remember walk, walk, and walk and small sip even though it hurts. I thought I was dying the second day, but I would get up and walk the hospital hallways every 15 to 30 minutes and I notice a big difference. Hope you feel better soon. keep us posted.

One thing I would do immediately after sipping is raise my arms above my head while sitting up I'd do it while walking too. Also tap lightly on the esophogus area to help the burps along. It's just a matter of getting the gas/air bubbles out but don't let it put fear into you like it did me. The severity you are experiencing will subside in time.

Tennessee, after my gallbladder came out last November, I used a product called Carbo Vegitabilis - it's a homeopathic remedy. I took it twice a day and only once felt a twinge of pain. I just took another dose and never suffered a bit. My surgeon has cleared it for use after the Sleeve. I'm sure you could find it at any health food store or Whole Foods type store. Homeopathic remedies are tiny balls that you put under your tongue. It comes in a little clear vial with blue writing or black writing on the container. You can also add some to the Water you're sipping.

I hope you feel better.

I have suffered terribly with gas from the CO2. I've only been sipping Water and even the smallest sip hurts going down. Is this normal?

Yep, normal. Congrats on joining the loser's bench. Just keep on with tiny sips, burp between each sip if you can, to relieve the pressure. Your tummy has been cut on and it will be objecting for a few days...just be kind to it and it will get better real soon. Warm liquids sometimes feel better than cold ones.

I remember sucking on ice cubes, felt good to me. Just depends what does it for you Your tummy is swollen and sore and won't feel good for a day or two. It does get better! Please make yourself walk, it moves the gas. Dr. Campos kept asking me if I had passed gas and if I had he high fived me. Never was glad of that bf!!

One thing I would do immediately after sipping is raise my arms above my head while sitting up I'd do it while walking too. Also tap lightly on the esophogus area to help the burps along. It's just a matter of getting the gas/air bubbles out but don't let it put fear into you like it did me. The severity you are experiencing will subside in time.

Raising the arms does seem to help. Have you tried the chewable/dissolvable GasX stuff? This kind of helps a bit... I had the same problem for the first day, but then it has started to slowly subside... sip, sip. This means, to me, sip like it's scorching hot coffee and anything other than a drop would burn your mouth. That's the only way I've been able to get in the liquids so far... One "big" sip almost did me in the other day.

Hope you're feeling better!

Yup you betcha its normal. . . it hurts your throat from the intubation and hurts your tummy cause its sore, swollen and hurt itself. . . just take it easy, do the best you can and walk, walk, walk, to help with the gas. . . i was up and walking within 5 hours of my surgery and have never stopped since. . . just walk alot, it really helps. . .

Hey Tennessee, I was sleeved 5 days ago, and feeling so much better now. Unfortunately I really want a Sonic hamburger,, but I know that would be sleeve suicide.. Just do as your doctor instructs you and the recovery is pretty quick. (pending any complications out of your control). I fee so good and have so much energy. My problem is now is that I can go to sleep for a couple hours then wake up and can't go back to sleep. I can live with that,, for the time being anyway.

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery and many awesome 'sleeve moments' to come.

One of the great side effects for me after the sleeve is that I sleep soundly (no longer with a cpap machine) for about 7 hours then I wake up and am WIDE AWAKE. Never used to do that. I'd wake up groggy and putter around, drink some coffee and try to get my brain in gear. Now I wake up rested, alert, and with a fully functioning brain/energetic body. Don't even need the caffeind fix anymore How great!

Thanks Cajun. That sounds great. How long before you were able to hang up the cpap machine. I am 9 days out and look forward to the day. THX

Hey Tennessee, I was sleeved 5 days ago, and feeling so much better now. Unfortunately I really want a Sonic hamburger,, but I know that would be sleeve suicide.. Just do as your doctor instructs you and the recovery is pretty quick. (pending any complications out of your control). I fee so good and have so much energy. My problem is now is that I can go to sleep for a couple hours then wake up and can't go back to sleep. I can live with that,, for the time being anyway.

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery and many awesome 'sleeve moments' to come.

You make me laugh!

I was sleeven on 1-28-10 and I am craving a Turkey Burger soooooo bad!!!

:(

soothing hot tea helped me with painful sipping. Heating pad helped with the gas pain. Honestly, I didn't walk much and rarely needed anything like gas x or anything like that. But I don't think I had a cold drink until I was maybe .....3 weeks past my surgery date? ... I just kept sipping all kinds of hot tea with half portions of Protein Powder in them.