Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just getting my toes wet

Hello everyone! I'm new to the site and WLS all together. After researching all the options I am liking VSG the most. I spoke with my insurance company today and was told that this procedure is covered (does that tell you just how new I am to this game? lol :ohmy:). I was super excited JUST to hear that.

So now I'm off to start my journey to a new and possibly chub-free me (or at least a healthier me that's comfortable in the skin she's in)! I have the support of my doctor, now I just need to find a program/surgeon I like and get started. I've read horror stories about people not being approved, but according to my PCP I am a good candidate. I've been reading a lot of your posts and I feel extra encouraged right now :thumbup:. I'm sure I'll have some questions, and if you want feel free to send me any suggestions/advice you have that might be helpful. Wish me luck - and I look forward to chatting with you all :001_tongue:

Talk to you soon!

Hi! Welcome to VST. And congrats on starting your WLS journey! There is loads of good information (and people) :001_tongue: here.

Welcome to VST! You've found a great place to learn most anything you'd ever want to know about this procedure both pre-op and post-op. If you let us know a little more about yourself (location, insurance requirements, etc.), people might be able to offer information/advice. Or just feel free to ask any questions you have.

Good luck with this research part of your journey!

Hello everyone! I'm new to the site and WLS all together. After researching all the options I am liking VSG the most. I spoke with my insurance company today and was told that this procedure is covered (does that tell you just how new I am to this game? lol :ohmy:). I was super excited JUST to hear that.

So now I'm off to start my journey to a new and possibly chub-free me (or at least a healthier me that's comfortable in the skin she's in)! I have the support of my doctor, now I just need to find a program/surgeon I like and get started. I've read horror stories about people not being approved, but according to my PCP I am a good candidate. I've been reading a lot of your posts and I feel extra encouraged right now :thumbup:. I'm sure I'll have some questions, and if you want feel free to send me any suggestions/advice you have that might be helpful. Wish me luck - and I look forward to chatting with you all :001_tongue:

Talk to you soon!

Welcome to the site. . your really going to like us. . .I was just sleeved about 15 days ago and am still getting acustomed to all this . . . but am liking it pretty well. . . i'm going to the doctor again on february 15th for my 1 month out checkup. . .i'll weigh in at that time. . .i don't like being a prisoner of the scale and only want to weigh in every month or so. . . but your going to do well when your time comes and good luck to you too.

As you can see I'm right around the corner from you. What surgeon are you looking at using. My insurance only covers VSG if MI is 50 or over mine is only 42 but certain problems don't allow me to have bypass so I'm hoping that the insurance will make an exception and allow me to get VSG. So I'm sort of looking at all the surgeons in our area.

Thanks

Hi there, and welcome to VST. Congrats on the insurance giving you approval, and best wishes in finding a surgeon that has the experience, and bedside manner you are happy with.

My suggestion on researching any surgeon is find one that has performed at least 300 sleeves, and one with low complication/leak stats. Low leak stats meaning around 1%.

Find a good nutritionist, and if you have food issues, compulsive eating/emotional ties to food/a history of depression/anxiety, I highly recommend finding a therapist/psych that specializes in bariatric patients and their recovery.

They operate on our stomachs, not our brains, and this journey is full of ups and downs. Grant it, the victories/successes outweigh the bad for most.

If you have any questions, ask away. We'll all be here for you.

Hi and welcome to VST!!!

There are lots of generous and caring people on here that have lots of great information and wonderful support. Feel free to ask any questions you have. I love my sleeve and love my life with my sleeve. Good luck on your journey!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

For now I just know that the insurance covers the procedure, so I'm PRAYING that the requirements aren't extremely complicated (which I'm sure they are). I've talked to them several times and they keep reassuring me that the procedure (based on the code) is covered 100% with no stipulations - and for the most part all I need is the surgeon's approval. Whatever the case may be, I'm trying to be as informed as possible going in.

As for a surgeon, I'm looking around. There aren't many who seem to do it in the area. I've found Temple, uPenn, and Abington Memorial.

What type of insurance do you have? (You don't have to answer if you don't want to) My insurance is covering mine and if we have the same one, perhaps I can help you out with the experiences I have had. :thumbup1: Just let me know!

Hello and welcome to VST here you will surely find all the information you are looking for and some really nice people.

Best of luck to you on your journey keep us all posted.

I have the same insurance and on their web site under policy it is not covered because it is expermental or your BMI has to be 50 or more and it is done as the first part of a 2 step plan. The code is 43775. Just letting you know what I found.

Welcome and good luck on this journey. I am so very happy to have my sleeve "tool". I love my life now. I have so much energy and my poor knees are so much better. I do not have to use the "riding cart" at the stores any more. I can walk.

Take Tiffy's advice she is just the best.

(((((hugs))))))