Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Life without the Scale

I thought people here might be interested in this little tidbit. I was sleeved by Dr. Aceves (The best. The. Best.) on August 4, 2009 AND I have not weighed myself since. Even at the Dr.'s I don't look.

I started out pushing a size 24. Now I am around a size 12 or so. People are constantly asking me how much weight I have lost, but I'm not really interested. It's just one more thing to obsess over. In fact, when I come on the board when I read about people's stalls etc. I get anxious. So I just don't do it.

WOW!! Now that is amazing willpower! I don't see how you do it. Obviously you have lost a tremendous amount of weight though-- I mean size 24 to 12 speaks volumes. The numbers truly don't matter, but what helps encourage me-- ( a new person to the forum) is to see the actual numbers. Whether it be numbers from the scale, or a persons clothing sizes!! Would love to see some pics even if you don't weigh!!! Keep up the great work!! Go sleeve go!!!

Wow congratulations on your amazing losses! :blink: I think that's an awesome idea and even for me personally would relieve a lot of stress. I have love/hate relationship with the scale (but it's getting better!)...but I couldn't do it. I think I'm of the personality where I NEED something to obsess over or I'm not motivated. But wow, that takes a lot of extra willpower. Keep it up, Mrs Sasaki! :biggrin0:

Congrats on your amazing results this far. You've done amazing.

I'm scale obsessed, and have been since coming home. My scale is my adulterous affair that my husband isn't intimidated by. It just works for me.

I just wanted to say, it's not willpower really. I don't own a scale - which led to my being about 22 lbs off in my original "estimation" of my weight on my application to Dr. Aceves. Ha. That was a day. More, that I would feel like I was failing if I didn't keep up with somebody else's loss or if - GOD FORBID - I gained (which I may have since August).

I just feel like maybe after a year or so, when I am stablized, I will see what I should be. It's not hard to not look. It's harder to explain to people why I am not looking.

Mrs. Sasaki, I would definitely call it willpower and say GOOD for you for exhibiting it! We were sleeved on the same day and I managed to stay off of it for a whole 11 days:-) Congratulation on your journey so far! I can't believe February will already be 6 months out.

WOW! I wish I had your restraint. It would help not owning a scale, maybe I'll just put mine away in a closet. Congratulations on your loss and keep up the good work!

Well, my scale has me doing flips in my emotions daily due to its fluxuations.(old scale and horribly in-accurate) SO, I think Mrs Sasaki may be on to something here. I really do want to throw my scale away. I could do that and just use the one at the gym I suppose? But, I like the goal of getting to Onederland. I do not tell people how muxh I have lost. I just say I am working on it. (gym and protein) People just do not want to hear it takes work. hahahah .

Mrs. Sasaki, do you tell people how many dress sizes you have gone down? Have you ever gained a size since you have been sleeved?

Yes, I tell them how many dress sizes I have gone down. I would tell them how much weight I have lost, it's just that I don't know. What's difficult is their reaction - they seem to NEED to know and ask, and ask, and ask.*

I haven't gone up a size. To the contrary, I have consistently gone down. But, I just didn't want to - after spending the money, recovering, changing my body - obsess over fluctuations on the scale.

When I said worry about gaining, I meant like if I gained a pound or something because I ate something salty. I just don't care how much I weigh, I just care how I look and feel.

*I am convinced that overweight people are accorded some of the lowest amounts of respect possible. When I think about the things that people (family, friends, coworkers and strangers) have felt it is acceptable to say to me - it is shocking. You would certainly never ask someone who say had breast implants - how big are they. Or, say to someone who going bald - you should really take care of that.

It doesn't bother me at all for someone to ask- how much weight have you lost? Most of the time my response is......"not enough!" but I don't feel insulted that they asked me

Mrs Sasaki: thank you for your answers. I like your attitude. I will try to incorporate some of that in my life. I agree with you about how rude people can be. When I was fat I heard over and over I could be soooo pretty if I would loose weight. Sheeze people shut up! Now they all want to know what I am doing, and, the VERY next thing out of their mouths is: "don't loose too much weight". Are you kidding me? Good heavens people make up your minds.

I think I am threatening to people now, they cannot put me down anymore. I feel like I have much more power now. Power to speak up and power to walk away from really negative people/things. I know, I always had the power, I just could not use it. Loosing weight is allowing me to use the power better.

Thank you again Mrs. Sasaki.