Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey all, I just got sleeved Monday and then last night (Tuesday), went to bed at 9p.m. I woke up at 12:45 a.m. and had to puke. It's now 4:30 a.m. and I've been dry heaving on and off with a little Fluid ever since. My fiance called the on-call doctor (not my surgeon) around 2a.m. and he said to make an appointment with my surgeon as soon as I can for this morning. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and knows WHY? I'm supposed to be drinking 48-64oz. of fluids and today I think I probably only got in 30 oz. because I didn't get home from the hospital until after noon. I also took about 3 gas-x strips since I got home. Also, I've been burping a lot with the dry heaves so I was wondering if maybe it's caused by the gas in my body?? I walked a lot at the hospital but not much since I got home just because it's below 0 degrees outside and we live in a small 1 bedroom apartment. I'm going to get in to see my surgeon ASAP, but was hoping someone could tell me why...and how long it lasts. :crying:

Midwest Girl -

I'm so sorry you had a rough night. I would definitely go in to see your surgeon this morning. It could very well be all the swelling in your stomach - some people swell more than others. But for me, I would want to be checked out. Let us know how you're doing later.

They don't call week 1 Hell Week for nothing. :crying: Day 3 post-op was the worst day for me. Day 4 was soooo much better!

Watch out for dehydration. Early on in your recovery, that can be one of the greatest causes of nausea. Sip, sip sip and walk. Try some green tea. Not too hot, just warm.

With the weather bad, you might have to go walk in a mall or gym, or anyplace that is heated. If you are dehydrated now, you might try Gatorade for 2 or 3 days to help you get re-hydrated. Also, didn't your doctor give you anything in the way of meds for nausea? If not, you might give him a call. Hang in there, it's all worth it!

I had a lap band to sleeve revision and dry heaved for the first 3 days afterwards (stayed in the hospital to keep hydrated) the area of my stomach where my lap band was removed was swollen shut, it was a nightmare. I suspect you have some swelling as well, definitely get with your doc, it will get better SOON!

Day 3 and 5 were really rough for me, MidWestGirl. Really. I was deep into buyers remose at those days. I only had the dry heaves twice, but that was more than enough. I hope and pray your visit with the doc goes smooth today. Hang in there. I am 8 days out and still feel super "sore" in the whole ab zone, but I absolutely feel so much better each day. I have not had the nausea meds in 3 or so days, and no pain meds in the last 4 days. I still take pepcid and GasX though.

I also had bad nausea day 2 and was still on IV fluids I think with some strong meds for nausea. The only time I dry heaved was with the blue dye since I didn't want anything to pass my mouth! Thank God for meds. Then day 3 was so much better! I'm glad you are going in to your surgeon and get some meds. This will pass...

Didn't get in to see my surgeon today as he is in surgery all day. I talked to my nurse at the clinic & she got ahold of him and he has now prescribed me two nausea medications (I didn't have any before aside from what I got in my IV at the hospital). Stopped at the pharmacy but the prescription hasn't been called in yet. :crying: Too scared to drink anything (including my pain meds) before I take the nausea stuff because I REALLY don't want the dry heaves again. Guess it's just a waiting game. :001_tt1: Thank you all for the responses, glad to know I'm not alone! I guess I kinda came into surgery with no expectations one way or the other so it's neither better nor worse than I imagined - so good news there! The dry heaves stopped around 5 a.m. today, so I'm really happy with that, just don't want them back. And I think most of my pain now is from sleeping upright in the chair! Haha. :001_smile:

Wow...called my clinic & they called in the prescription to the pharmacy...called the pharmacy and told them I had two prescriptions left on their answering machine and they were so rude about it. :001_tt1: Days like this I don't even want to get out of bed. Wish people in the real world were as nice as you all.

definitely use Gatorade if you aren't getting in the proper amount of Water. At least then you're getting a balance of electrolytes, Vitamins and carbs. I remember an episode of dry heaves while I was still in the hospital...day 3 if I recall. I felt very "loopy" and a bit spacey on day 4....glad I was able to just stay in the hotel bed and sleep away most of day 4. By day five I was flying cross country to get home...no issues.

Dehydration can cause nausea...so try to sip something all the time.

I hope the meds help you out. =) I had some dry heaves the first couple days too. Day 3 was my worst day. I did not get in much of any liquids the first 5 days. Take care!