Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When was everyone able to tolerate soft solids? My nutritionist says that from this point on, it will be a trial and error deal. Soft solids are not working for me. I've tried now on 3 seperate occassions trying completely different foods, and I take maybe 4-5 very small bites over 20-30 minutes, and I feel literally like if I open my mouth, I'll see my food. It just seems to fill up in my esophagus. The problem is that there doesn't seem to be any type of warning that it's not getting in my stomach until I feel as if I can't even swallow my spit. I'm looking for hope that I'll be able to tolerate soft solids and get off of purees in the near future.

I was still on full liquids at this time during my recovery, and then to mushies. I don't know how anyone could tolerate soft solids 3 weeks post op. I know it's boring, and mundane, but your stomach is still swollen from surgery. It may need more time to heal. I'm sorry you're having a difficult time, but honestly at 3 weeks I was still on full liquids so I didn't experience this issue.

I was 6 weeks out before I started soft solids, and still had to rely on mushies a lot of the time to get in calories because my body just wasn't ready for food.

Hello! I'm two days ahead of your surgery date, and I was to start mushies last week, moving to soft foods this week. Maybe I'm the exception, but I've been really lucky not to get sick with any new introductions. Now, I definitely know it when I start the first bite of anything as in my tummy growls and grumbles, and I burp quite a bit. I just have to take my time to get 1/3 to 1/2 a cup down. These are the things I've tolerated:

refried Beans

corned beef hash

chili (pureed)

scrambled egg

crabmeat

and today for lunch I tried Foster turkey meatballs with some marina sauce. I did fine, but held quite a bit less than with the true mushy stuff. I am following the instructions of my doctor and nutritionist. Although I admit to feeling as though maybe I'm moving fast compared to what I read that others are doing or have done, I swear I'm following my docs instructions (I have reviewed the paperwork from them and the nutritionist about 7000 times!). I worry that maybe the progression to food so soon is why I'm not dropping crazy weight like some do. Then again, as long as I lose, I feel good about getting my nutrition from food when I can. Such a headgame! (trust the process, trust the process...that is for you, Anna!)

My advise: just take it slowly with new foods. I think we have a learning curve to figure out how our body will be telling us to stop. And, everyday seems to different right now!

Edited by twobluecats

J- Just take your time and make sure things are REALLY moist to watery in consistency. I haven't tried anything more real than Soups or runny mashed potatoes at this point. If you do run into a problem when eating, remember the retching will cause your stomach to swell again, so you might want to go back to liquids to give it a chance to go back down.

Thanks Theresa for the mention! I had refried Beans for lunch today and I swear they were the best thing I've eaten in years!!! LOL Thanks for being a week ahead of me, too. It has been so easy just to follow right behind you!

Hi Anna! I got sleeved the same day you did, and am supposed to start mushies tomorrow. I cheated and am trying to slowly eat some tuna fish right now as I am having a hard time with Protein drinks... its definitely a learning proces

My nutritionist/surgeon cleared me for mushy/soft food at about 2.5 weeks out. From what I remember (and it's a little fuzzy) I started with cream Soups with meat and then progressed to purred meats with sauce. I was eating 3-4 baby spoonfuls at a time (this also meant I ate more than the three meals a day that my surgeon recommends). Since you cannot feel your full signal yet until it's too late and that seems to be what causes a negative reaction and not the food, maybe cut your portions in half for now. It definitely was a learning process at this point for me. Good luck!

I'm almost 4 weeks and solid food makes me nauseated just thinking about eating it! The scrambled egg just slid right back up my throat and out it came--no vomiting it just wasn't gonna stay down! So I'm sticking with my oatmeal, Soups and on occasion I'll mush up some form of meat. Last night I tried a slice of deli turkey and it was okay. I'm extremely afraid of any milk products--not sure why--I think it is a mental block. Figure if it doesn't sound good I'm not drinking or eating it yet.

I suggest progressing at your own speed, my doctor insist I should be eating flaky white fish, soft veggies and soft fruit--told him I could eat all that but it would take me 6 meals. If I eat too many times a day then I don't have enough time to get in my liquids! I'm thinking everything will calm down around weeks 6 thru 8---at least I'm hoping.

My doc has me on full liquids for 6 weeks. Today is only 1 week out. Although I have not been hungry, the smells and looks of good food from our kitchen or TV is getting to me. I feel fine but am struggling to drink 70g of Protein a day. It's been more like 50g. The Protein shakes are okay but not that great.

I tried some pureed minestrone Soup. But by the time it was all liquified it looked so disgusting I really could not eat it. I feel like I will very soon be ready for very soft mushies and able to gently progress as long as I'm careful. But that is not the strict orders of my doctor. Of course, I want to follow his orders as he believes 6 weeks of liquids is needed to protect the integrity of the sleeve.

I will be asking about this today when my drain is removed. I'm sure he will stand by his demand for 6 weeks liquids. Just not sure I can go another 5 weeks like this. Even just mildy chunky Soup (chicken noodle) or anything would be nice.

On the bright side, the weight seems to be dropping fast. And with the drain coming out today I feel great!

Interesting to read what others are eating a few weeks out. Thanks.

Hi longhorn, well i'm out 7 days today and still on Clear Liquids, I'm like getting so weird now. . .my head feels spinny all the time, like as if i'm on codeine or something. . . but everything still makes sense. . .I even dream about food now. . .I woke up this morning laughing because i had dreamt that i was in india and me and this little boy were cooking up dahl puree, rice, and curry ( I love indian food-major staple of mine, or was) and there was this random man who wanted my plate of food, what like no way, i fought him with all i had and escaped down a tunnel, plate in hand! My Goodness! If I can't eat it in real, might as well dream about it huh??????

Bored, you are doing so good, down 40lbs since surgery in 4 weeks!!! I'm only down 25lbs. Way to go. The introduction of solids for me has been a slow process and I always put some liquid/sauce to mush it up, for everything. Doesn't always look appetizing but have to or pay for it later.

"the bigger they are the harder they fall" --I have more to loose, it comes off fast for me to start, but from experience I know I plateau at 278, then again around 230...I think those are weights from Jr high and High school that I stayed at for long periods of time, so my body likes those weights! Your current weight is my GOAL! lol...