Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So instead of lurking around the forum, I thought I should introduce myself and get to know all of you better.

My name is Marci and I'm 29. I have a 2-year-old very handsome baby boy. I am married to the most supportive, caring and sweetest husband ever. (Maybe a little over exaggeration but you get the point )

I have been overweight my WHOLE life. I remember going to the doctor when I was in middle school to get a physical for sports and they told me I weighed 200lbs. I thought, "Oh wow! The scale cannot be right." I remember that day my mom talking to the doctor about my weight and him telling my mom that it runs in my genes. I also remember when I was 16 my uncle telling my mom that I would never get married or have kids because I was "fat". (I hate that word!) I still hear those words everyday and that's been 14 years ago.

My Aunt and her daughter both have had the gastric bypass done. I was leaning toward the bypass but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I see how many supplements they have to take and how they can't eat ice cream (oh no!!) and many other foods. I didn't want to go through that. I was also signed up to do the Lapband last year at this time but backed out. I had a friend that did the Lapband and she said she hated it. Thank goodness I didn't go through with it.

My husband came home one day from work and told me one of his co-workers had the gastric sleeve done. Of course I knew nothing about this procedure but obsessively started researching it. Fell in love!! A week later my husband walked in the door from work and I said, "I'm having the gastric sleeve done." If you all could have seen his face, priceless. He said why? I explained to him that I'm not doing this for you. I'm doing this for me. I also told him that I'm not asking for his permission, I'm just letting him know in case he wants to come with me to surgery. From that day forward he has been SUPER supportive and I could not ask for a better husband right now to help with this. The day before I went to my preop appointment, I decided to tell my parents. I told them the same thing, I'm not doing this for yall but for me. My mom is very excited for me but my dad is just worried and doesn't want me to have it done. (Too bad!)

My husband I want another kid. I kept going back and forth, should I wait another 2 years or should I do it now before we have a kid? Tons a questions. I went to the doctor and asked him about what he thought. He said go for it but just remember that you could reverse this once you have a baby. So of course, I was going to wait again but something clicked. I woke up the next morning and decided NO, I'm doing it! I keep thinking, "What if". What if I don't do this and then get pregnant, I'll never know if that was the right decision?

Wow....long story I know. So I'm scheduled on January 21st for my surgery and of course I'm still having a lot of what if's but I know I'm doing the right thing. I cannot wait for this day. I know it's going to be a journey but I'm up for the adventure.

Thanks for listening and I can't wait to start talking with all of you when I'm on the "loser bench".

Marci

Hi Marci,

Welcome to VST! I'm not on the losers bench yet but wanted to say hello. When I started researching WLS in October, I knew I didn't want the RNY so I figured it was LapBand for me. Once I started reading about the Band I knew that I really didn't want it and felt sunk. Then one day I read about someone having the Sleeve and I immediately knew I wanted one. They're fairly new at my medical facility but my doctor said that I wasn't suited for the RNY and that the Band doesn't have good long term results so it was Sleeve all the way! I'm scheduled sometime in February or March. Not sure yet.

Good luck on January 21st! You'll find that everyone here is incredibly supportive and friendly!

Hey, we have the same ticker.... obviously the same great taste. :biggrin0:

Welcome Marci!

Your going to find this forum alot of fun , great folks and tons of advice! I have just been sleeved 6 days ago and other then the normal sores and ouchies I feel great. . . as long as you follow doctors orders and don't feel sorry for yourself, your going to do great! the biggest rule to follow is walk, walk, walk, and after your back home, remember to follow the rules and you'll be fine! Good luck to you and keep posting. . .

Welcome to the board. I am pre-Op still waiting on my date as I just finished my mandatory 5 months classes for my Kaiser Options program. And much like you my hubby is right on track and is the one who thought I should do it since I flip easy.

I cant wait for you or me!

Just wanted to say hi and welcome! Sounds like the sleeve is the perfect decision for you! I also thought the sleeve would be my best option. It seems like we have alot in common! I am also 29 with a 1 yr old, and I also decided to wait to have more children...I figure if I am in better shape and healthier it would be better for me and my growing family. Hope you enjoy this forum, I have gotten alot of good and helpful information, as well as support from people that understand! Keep us posted on your journey, we're all here for ya!

Hi Marci -

Welcome to VST! Go for it Girl!!!

This surgery has been the best thing I have ever done for myself. Initially it was all about "doing it for me" - I thought I was being selfish but did not care. I was TIRED of being fat. In reality however, it has been wonderful for my entire family. I am so much happier (even though I never thought of myself as unhappy), healthier and more energetic. My boys can hug me and wrap their arms all the way around (something my 8 year old pointed out - I love that). And of coarse, my husband loves it. Congratulations of your surgery date. We're here to support you every step of the way.

Marci- My mom and sis both had gastric bypass, and that is the reason I didn't get it. I actually had the lap band first (for 3 years) and after the battle with that, and a regain of over 30 pounds, I had it removed and the sleeve done. Haven't regretted a minute since. I've lost 31 pounds in 35 days...I know you will be successful if you put your mind to it! Feel free to private message me if you have any other questions! I'm only a little over a month out, but will answer any questions you might have! Good Luck and keep us posted!

Thank you all for the words of encouragment. I cannot wait for this whole process to start. Only 18 more days to go. (Wow, it's weird to say 18 days to a new me!!) I am so ready!!

Hey Marci, I don't know how I missed this thread, but welcome ! ! !

A big driving force of me having WLS was the desire to have a baby with my husband plus the other 100+ reasons why I needed to have it done. My surgeon told me that once I reach goal (just did it yay), if I can maintain my loss for 3-5 months that we can start trying for baby.

We're all here for you, and your date will be here before you know it ! ! !

Welcome Marci and congratulations for choosing to do this "for you" and noone else! The time will fly til your surgery date!

Hi Marci, my sleeve surgery is for Jan 21st too. I am having my surgery in Mexico. I am 35 and have two little boys. My oldest is 21 months and my newest one is just 2 months old. We are a lot alike. I have been overweight since I hit puberty. I was in a size 24 when I graduated Highschool. I was over 300 pounds when I was 27. I discovered the Atkins diet and lost some weight. Then I discoved I had galstones. After that surgery I lost a hundred pounds. I kept it off I think because I kept trying to loose the rest of my weight but couldn't get under 207. I tried for 4 years to loose it. Then life happened I started gaining it back. I met my husband gained some more. I got pregnant and miscarried and gained some more. Moved a couple of time gained some more. Before I new it I was pregnant and 300 pounds again. So after I had my first one I tried really hard to loose it. I had told myself I would never be that weight again. For 7 months I tried to loose the weight. I tried Weight Watchers, Atkins, Metabolic Research Center, and Biggest Looser. Then I found out I was pregnant with my second. I didn't want to be 300 and pregnant again. I was so misserable the first time. Now I have decided to get some help. I'm tired of starving and not seeing anything come off and then giving up and trying again. I think the sleeve is what I need to help me with the other knowledge I have about loosing weight.

My husband is so supportive. My sis is helping me pay for it. She is going with me. My mom is supportive because she struggles too. I've seen her sit at 200 for over 5 years while she gains and looses the same 10 pounds. My dad doesn't want to know anything about it until its over. He's scared about the surgery.

Anyway. I have a few more pounds to lose than you do but I would love to be -sleeve buddies. I'm starting a pre-op diet tomorrow. It's gonna be hard but I need to detox from the holidays!

Gwyn