Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stretching your sleeve

Thank goodness! You will be so happy to have mushy food! I never thought I could appreciate refried Beans so much. But, us Texas girls need our Tex-Mex one way or another! ;-)

I am counting the days until I can have them! LOLOL!

Oh yeah. I lived on refried Beans with melted 2% Chedder, a dallop of ff sour cream and a little bit of salsa - a burrito in a bowl. Gotta love the TexMex.

You are definitely not alone! I struggle with the fear of failing on an hourly basis. I still don't know when I'm full, and I haven't experienced the pain in the sternal area nor the vomiting. I'm struggling to get my Protein because I am very picky and can't find anything that tastes good enough to have daily. I struggle to drink because I feel so bloated like I have to wait to burp before I can take another bite. Everyone keeps telling me it's trial and error, but errors make me feel miserable and I know longer want to trial.

Please know that you're not alone, and when/if you figure out how to get past your fears, I'd love to hear how you overcame them!

1Linda,

That refried Beans with cheddar and sour cream sounds so good, should go down easy also! rcarter, when I was on liquids things went down so easy and was surprised how much I could eat, but with soft solids is a whole different story. 4 bites of meat is it, no vegetables or fruit, no room! I think when you get to more solid food you will have restriction and don't forget you will be eating so much less than before and can't help but lose weight. You will be fine!

I remember wanting a "planned" food program so I would not screw up. I was very afraid of hurting my new sleeve. All I can say is~~~~R E L A X all you newbies. Honestly, your sleeve is working. You are not screwing up (or you would be vomiting) You have another 3 to 4 weeks before you will finally get it. You will loose weight and be so amazed. Like, you did not even try your best or anything and bam the scale is just going down on it s own. That is the sleeve working. You are eating the right amount. I promise your sleeve size does not matter. Whatever the size, it will work for you. Have faith and patience. Try not to be so totally consumed with this. Go for your walks. Sip Water and get your Protein, honest you are doing it right.

Clean out your closets in preparation for all new stuff in just a few weeks time. Seriously. I am only 2 1/2 months post and have cleaned out my closet 3 times. I need to do it again. The clothes I thought would be "fine" feel like clown clothes or pajamas. It has been so long since anything was too big on me I did not relaize how fast I would need clothes. This is a good problem to have.

Breathe. Plan. Watch a funny (belly laugh) movie.

grins and giggles

Same fears here. Just had one piece of chicken ( think a small nugget about the size of your thumb) and that was my dinner. I am starting to convert to mushies and chewed the heck out of the chicken. Not sure I am even supposed to be able to eat that but it went down fine. I had that one piece and had a Soup waiting for me but was too full.

I sometimes think that those of us that are having an "easier" time of it are feeling guilty that it is going so easy and are second guessing our every move. I know my body pretty well and took about 30 mins to eat that one piece. Took it slow and listened to my body.

I sometimes get concerned that I am moving too fast, but man, it just feels right...

Any feedback appreciated.

Same fears here. Just had one piece of chicken ( think a small nugget about the size of your thumb) and that was my dinner. I am starting to convert to mushies and chewed the heck out of the chicken. Not sure I am even supposed to be able to eat that but it went down fine. I had that one piece and had a Soup waiting for me but was too full.

I sometimes think that those of us that are having an "easier" time of it are feeling guilty that it is going so easy and are second guessing our every move. I know my body pretty well and took about 30 mins to eat that one piece. Took it slow and listened to my body.

I sometimes get concerned that I am moving too fast, but man, it just feels right...

Any feedback appreciated.

You can have super mushed up or pureed chicken on mushies. So, chewing the heck out of it, probably did the trick. Just use caution adding foods, I remember trying to add foods in, and it sent me back to mushies pretty quickly.

Everything feeling "right" is good, but don't get discouraged if you have a bad day. I still have an "off" day at 7 months out. I can, and do eat anything I want, but some days, things just don't work.

Like italian dressing worked really great for a long time, then a couple weeks ago at the Christmas part, it made me gag. I don't know if it's the brand or what, but I wasn't happy about it.

Your staple line is still technically healing, your tummy is still super swollen, and you just have to give it time to heal.

I really appreciate everyone sharing. The newbies understanding, the encouragement from the veterans. I really am glad we have this site, or else i am not sure what I would do.

I am down another pound today! I am also going to start heading back to the gym consistently today, (it's had bad hours and been closed for the holidays).

So I think adding walking and more Water like everyone has said will help. I noticed yesterday when I added more Water intentionally that I felt SUPER full and couldn't have even tried to eat.

I think I am just scared since I haven't gotten sick, vomited, or had any issues internally. I also moved to soft foods (doc doesn't believe in mushies, wanted to "train" me to chew everything up on my own), and so moving directly from liquids to soft foods, and not feeling entirely full is scary. But people around me remind me I am not eating nearly what I used to. I need to keep the faith and keep going.

I guess I am also scared since my sleeve is still healing and I am only 4 weeks tomorrow, that adding something or eating too much will cause a leak and I am just hoping to get to the point where I know I am all ok inside and keep on keepin on.

Also, what caloric intake is everyone on? My doc didn't give me anything but guidelines for 80 g Protein and 64 oz water per day, and each day differs. I am toggling between 600 and sometimes 1200 per day.

Thanks again everyone and Happy New Year!

I am 32 days out. I have never had any problems with vomiting, and glad of it. That means I'm doing things right. I have however had some pain just a couple of times with meats not going down well. You learn as you go as to how much of what to eat.

Meats are though for me. But I can eat tuna salad, chicken salad, spaghetti sauce with meat in it (no pasta) & chili with Beans. Things with meat that have more liquid in them go down much better. I can eat more of soft foods, like yogurt, pudding, etc.

It's like pouring Water in an odd shaped container, Liquid can go in every crevice, but you can't push solids in like that. Plus solids stay with you tummy longer because they are harder to digest. I can tolerate Protein Bars much better than Protein Shakes so I opt for those. I have 2-3 a day with 20 grams of Protein each and then eat sensibly the rest of the day. I drink 60 oz of water a day, and walk 1 1/2 miles to 2 miles a day. This is not hard...it's common sense. Like the other sleever said. RELAX... if your not hurting or vomiting your doing it right !!!!!!!

My Doctor also said (after my direct question) the part of your stomach that is taken away is the part that stretches, the thicker harder muscle part is what is left. And it is very hard to stretch it. He said it will only stretch about 2 extra oz's. and that's it.

But as Dee Dee said, if you constantly over eat, it will make that small stretch, an it will not help you at all. So don't do it!!!! It's that simple. But from what I've read your all doing great....just keep up the good work, and do the BIG THREE ( PROTEIN, WATER, WALK) and you'll be fine. I'm not a veterian yet, but I'm getting there slowly.

Hello everyone! And Happy New Year. I just wanted to ask a few questions.

I am almost to week 4 and have read lots of postings about eating a cookie here and there and treats around the holidays. Since I have moved to soft foods (off liquids - yay!), I have been concerned with the fact that I am able to eat more than most people seem to say they can eat on here.

I am reminded by my family and friends I am barely eating compared to pre-surgery, but I get nervous. I don't want to stretch my stomach or ruin the effects of going through this surgery.

Is it possible to stretch your stomach just 3 weeks out? How does it stretch, what foods stretch it and will it ever shrink again if you do stretch it?

I guess I just have been feeling like this is too good to be true, and getting scared that I may not continue to lose weight or be successful.

Has anyone else had these fears? Has everyone been perfectly strict since surgery or has anyone had "bad" days and then continued to lose?

I try to wake each day with a Protein shake, since I know it is hard to get enough with my solid foods until I get in a routine. But I am doubting my diet and education, and don't want to screw this up.

Anyone else going through this or feeling this way?

I am eating the foods on the allowed list, I guess I just feel like I eat too much. I think I am rambling, but I hope you all get the picture.

Share your experiences, successes, failures and thoughts please!

Thanks,

Rachel

Hello Rachel,

I have wondered the same things. I have been able to eat more than a few bites. I am 5

weeks out and now I can have regular foods. I still chew, chew and chew because I am afraid that I am eating things that will be too hard on my stomach. I try not to drink anything with the meals, but I have been keeping a glass with some 1 % milk and a piece of ice in it so that it will stay cold through my meal. If I feel the need to take a drink, I try to just take a little sip. Sometimes I start to feel nauseous or either the food feels like it is getting stuck in my throat, so that is when I take a little sip. I found out real quick that if I drink too much liquid then I don't have much room for the food, so I finally stopped drinking alot of Fluid with the meal. I am still having a problem with trying to wait 30-60 minutes after eating to drink fluids. Maybe it will get easier as time goes along, I hope!!

Dense foods like meat will definitely fill you up more than mushy soft foods. While you are on the mushy/soft food stage, don't worry that you are stretching your sleeve. You will definitely feel the difference when you get to regular foods. When you eat too much, you will be so uncomfortable, you will feel like you are going to explode. It's a horrible feeling and you will not want to do it again.

Dense foods like meat will definitely fill you up more than mushy soft foods. While you are on the mushy/soft food stage, don't worry that you are stretching your sleeve. You will definitely feel the difference when you get to regular foods. When you eat too much, you will be so uncomfortable, you will feel like you are going to explode. It's a horrible feeling and you will not want to do it again.

i just had surgery tuesday! and already i feel like i am consuming too much....the first few days i was SO sick, nausea and intense pain....but today i was able to drink about 1 1/2 cups of broth, two s/f Jello cups, and probably 30oz of Water.

i guess it doesn't sound like too much when i write it all out. but i am still thinking a lot about food....do the mushies get better? or is it the real food? i am vegetarian, so i'm worried about a higher carb intake. do any of you have a higher carb count and still lose? i can get by cutting out rice, Pasta and bread etc....but yogurt, bocca burgers, eggs, cheese etc still have carbs! is this okay?

i know i'm covering a lot of old ground. i jsut feel so afraid of failing!

ALSO! the head hunger....i guess that's what it is. I feel SO hungry, and it feels real...because i haven't eaten anything since monday! but i just want that full feeling in my tummy and i can't stop thinking about food! the Clear Liquids pass through SOOOOOOOO fast!!! that's normal right?!?!?!? does this get better?

i read about some of you having "no desire" for food! and i can't imagine, it all sounds, smells, and looks good to me right now. does it get easier?

jeeze! i'm so glad i have this forum to ease my mind! someone pipe up please!

All that vegetarian food is fine. I would watch the carb count on yogurt though. eggs and cheese don't have carbs! Do you eat fish? fish is a great protein!

Honestly, this is all so simple, it could not get any easier. I know in the beginning, I had all the thoughts that all of you are having.

Once I moved to solid food, it was difficult to eat. I had a hard time figuring out how much to eat and ate too much and it was painful. It does take your brain the 20 min. to tell your stomach it's full. I had to go by

looking at the size of portion. I ate a lot of those tiny cans of already made chicken salad in a can that is right next to the tuna in the store, when I was on the mushy/soft stage. Then, on solids, I would look at the food, and imagine if it would fit in that can.

Head hunger is another story completely. It does get better for most people. There are still people who struggle with head hunger all the time, because they are used to being able to eat anything they want, whenever they want.

I was hungry on the liquid stage. My stomach growled and I could not wait to get to the next stage, but I was too worried about that staple line to move to the next stage before I was supposed to. I just drank liquid whenever my stomach growled.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you need to. We love helping. I don't know that I consider myself a veteran, because there are people who have had their sleeves for a couple of years now. All I know is now, I don't worry about anything and I eat because I am supposed to. There are times that I eat because I know I haven't eaten anything in a long time, not because I am hungry.

Honestly, I am tired of buying new clothes. I am tired of liking something and the next time I try it on, it's too big. I know it's a good thing, but I am glad I am at goal now and I try to stay out of the stores.

I hope this helps someone!

anyone that wants to ask me anything, send me a private message and I will be happy to answer if I can! I lost 100 lbs and it was easy!:biggrin0::laugh0:

Megan -

I was hungry early out also. Liquids just didn't do it for me. I'm sure it was head hunger (still have it) but it definitely gets better. Mushies were much easier for me. I got full quickly on just a few bites and it seemed to stay with me a lot longer. On solids foods, it's even better. Remember that liquids just go straight thru your sleeve as they would normally. Let your new little tummy heal because it gets so much better.

Now, for head hunger, I'm still battling that one. I do great all day long until just about bedtime and then I get the munchies. I have tried to control it and deny myself without much luck. So now, I just work with it. I only eat about 600-650 calories during the day and save an extra 150 calories for my "bedtime snack" and then I eat a BariWise Peanut Butter bar or caramel crunch bar (like a Protein candy bar - they are yummy). I am usually not even hungry, but I mentally have to have it. I know I shouldn't eat just before bed, but I am struggling to win this battle so I have just worked it in to my plan.

Hang in there, it really gets so much easier. :001_tongue: