Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9 Days Post OP-First Appt with Doc

WOW Kermit! That's incredible! Congratulations.

What about you? What are you tolerating or not tolerating? Are you feeling hunger? Have you started exercising yet? My first day at the gym was today, and I probably over did it considering I had nothing in my stomach but a bit of Water. I'll drink some Protein stuff tomorrow before I work out.

Thanks for all your info!! Those drinks look like a good idea. But I really struggle with choking that stuff down. I bought the unflavroed Protein at GNC. A scoop has 28 g. But it is a big scoop! :thumbup: And I have been adding it to anything I eat. Yesterday I did my first day of full liquids and had 1/4 c greek yogurt, 1/4 blenderized Soup, and 1/4 c sf pudding. And then Water throughout the day. I didn't have an actual protein shake :blushing: I might go get some of the EAS 17 g shakes. Do those taste like slimfast? I can drink the consistency of slimfast, but I can't do the chalky flavor. And now with sipping, it is even harder to tolerate. Pre op I would suck it through a straw really fast and chase it with juice!

I am hunger though, starving actually. I see or smell food and I want to eat something so bad. I really don't think it is head hunger. My stomach growls and I feel hunger everywhere. This is beyond frustrating and I worry my surgery isn't going to work. But yesterday was the first day I actually ate anything, so maybe it will help.

I have not worked out at all yet. Just walking. That feels good but I am very weak. What did you do at the gym? I hope to start a Jazzercise class at the end of January and then walk from home. Ironically, we just cancelled our Y membership last month!? I would really like to lift again soon, hoping that *might* prevent some arm sagging. :laugh0:

Take care and hope the gym is good to you today!!

Thanks for all your info!! Those drinks look like a good idea. But I really struggle with choking that stuff down. I bought the unflavroed Protein at GNC. A scoop has 28 g. But it is a big scoop! :thumbup: And I have been adding it to anything I eat. Yesterday I did my first day of full liquids and had 1/4 c greek yogurt, 1/4 blenderized Soup, and 1/4 c sf pudding. And then Water throughout the day. I didn't have an actual Protein shake :blushing: I might go get some of the EAS 17 g shakes. Do those taste like slimfast? I can drink the consistency of slimfast, but I can't do the chalky flavor. And now with sipping, it is even harder to tolerate. Pre op I would suck it through a straw really fast and chase it with juice!

I am hunger though, starving actually. I see or smell food and I want to eat something so bad. I really don't think it is head hunger. My stomach growls and I feel hunger everywhere. This is beyond frustrating and I worry my surgery isn't going to work. But yesterday was the first day I actually ate anything, so maybe it will help.

I have not worked out at all yet. Just walking. That feels good but I am very weak. What did you do at the gym? I hope to start a Jazzercise class at the end of January and then walk from home. Ironically, we just cancelled our Y membership last month!? I would really like to lift again soon, hoping that *might* prevent some arm sagging. :laugh0:

Take care and hope the gym is good to you today!!

Yeah, EAS might be the way to go. Even my very picky mother and sister tasted it and thought it was good. I've only really had the chocolate flavor. Just make sure you get the one that's low carbs...2 or 4, I think....and it has 17 g of protein.

Ok, I did have the hunger thing like you did, too. But for some reason, I'm easily satisfied when I drink/eat something after it. How much mushy food are you able to tolerate at once? And it very much got easier when I went to mushies yesterday. My mom was baking homemade flour tortillas the night before and I thought I might kill her over one.

I think everyone goes through this whole thing, "will it work? It's not working, etc" I wouldn't worry too much about that. I'm also craving stuff....like all of a sudden, cottage cheese sounded really really good last night. So I made myself a little bowl and after a few tiny bites, I was "done." And now the thought of cottage cheese doesn't appeal to me at all. I would def say up your protein in any way you can, and maybe that will help with the hunger.

I'm leaving for the gym in a bit. I also cannot wait for weights! My doctor is kind of weird though and acts like weight training should never be apart of my workout routine ever. Also, at his seminar, he want on and on about loose skin and there is nothing we can do it about it....there's no workout that can curb this, it's a fact of life, you're going to have loose skin, etc.

And, of course, in my suspicious mind, I'm thinking he must be saying this so that his patients will eventually need to have plastic surgery with the new doc they hired at the hospital who specializes in plastic surgery after wls.

Am I crazy?? lol

Oh...and so far, I'm onl.y doing the treadmill at the gym. I'm training for a half marathon in March, so I need to get my mile down to under a certain amount of time. Even tho the doc cleared me for any cardio workout, I think I would have overdone it with a class or the elliptical machine. Just doing the tread mill yesterday at a very reasonable pace, wiped me out. However, I think that had more to do with nothing in my system. So I've started drinking that watered down blue rasp crap before I leave. lol

Edited by kermit_ojp
Edit

I find it interesting that the post op plans by different surgeons are so different! I am only a day after you surgery wise, but I cannot do any exercise except walking (up to a mile by day 30) and I can't start mushies for another week. I'm feeling pretty good and ready to go, but patiently following my surgeons plan! Its awesome to hear that you've done so well! I've lost 19.8 pounds in 16 days (the 8 day preop and at my 8 day apt) LOVE the sleeve!

I find it interesting that the post op plans by different surgeons are so different! I am only a day after you surgery wise, but I cannot do any exercise except walking (up to a mile by day 30) and I can't start mushies for another week. I'm feeling pretty good and ready to go, but patiently following my surgeons plan! Its awesome to hear that you've done so well! I've lost 19.8 pounds in 16 days (the 8 day preop and at my 8 day apt) LOVE the sleeve!

Well, it was interesting. He didn't mention moving me to mushies until he asked if I was feeling hunger. When I told him yes, he seemed really surprised. That's when he said, ok, I think you're ready to move to mushy foods then...take it slow and try it out, etc, etc.

Maybe when you start feeling physical hunger, that's a sign to move to the next stage?? He also moved me to solids a week earlier than my original plan. He said I can start trying them out Monday the 11th.

Congrats on your weightloss as well!! Some move faster when they have more to lose, etc. But it looks like, eventually, most everyone reaches their goal weight or even beyond! :)

Yeah, EAS might be the way to go. Even my very picky mother and sister tasted it and thought it was good. I've only really had the chocolate flavor. Just make sure you get the one that's low carbs...2 or 4, I think....and it has 17 g of Protein.

Ok, I did have the hunger thing like you did, too. But for some reason, I'm easily satisfied when I drink/eat something after it. How much mushy food are you able to tolerate at once? And it very much got easier when I went to mushies yesterday. My mom was baking homemade flour tortillas the night before and I thought I might kill her over one.

I think everyone goes through this whole thing, "will it work? It's not working, etc" I wouldn't worry too much about that. I'm also craving stuff....like all of a sudden, cottage cheese sounded really really good last night. So I made myself a little bowl and after a few tiny bites, I was "done." And now the thought of cottage cheese doesn't appeal to me at all. I would def say up your Protein in any way you can, and maybe that will help with the hunger.

I'm leaving for the gym in a bit. I also cannot wait for weights! My doctor is kind of weird though and acts like weight training should never be apart of my workout routine ever. Also, at his seminar, he want on and on about loose skin and there is nothing we can do it about it....there's no workout that can curb this, it's a fact of life, you're going to have loose skin, etc.

And, of course, in my suspicious mind, I'm thinking he must be saying this so that his patients will eventually need to have plastic surgery with the new doc they hired at the hospital who specializes in plastic surgery after wls.

Am I crazy?? lol

Oh...and so far, I'm onl.y doing the treadmill at the gym. I'm training for a half marathon in March, so I need to get my mile down to under a certain amount of time. Even tho the doc cleared me for any cardio workout, I think I would have overdone it with a class or the elliptical machine. Just doing the tread mill yesterday at a very reasonable pace, wiped me out. However, I think that had more to do with nothing in my system. So I've started drinking that watered down blue rasp crap before I leave. lol

That is awesome that you are doing a half marathon in March!! Wow! Have done one before? That is so great. I have a neighborhood full of triathletes (sprint) and they are really trying to get me to do one in July. I am dragging my feet though... Scared of the swimming part.

What is the blue rasp crap? lol

Yeah, I work in health care and I don't think you are being suspicious at all, especially if they just hired a plastic surgeon specifically for WLS! lol I mean the chance for plastic surgery is high, but I figure why not give it a try! Weight lifting is good for me anyway! The main area I want to tone is my arms, because I don't like think I would ever have surgery there.

And I am not hungry anymore like I was! Thank goodness. Though I am completely sick of the three choices I have. I meet with my dietitian on Friday and am so incredibly ready to start trying anything new!

How are things going for you this week? :001_wub:

That is awesome that you are doing a half marathon in March!! Wow! Have done one before? That is so great. I have a neighborhood full of triathletes (sprint) and they are really trying to get me to do one in July. I am dragging my feet though... Scared of the swimming part.

What is the blue rasp crap? lol

Yeah, I work in health care and I don't think you are being suspicious at all, especially if they just hired a plastic surgeon specifically for WLS! lol I mean the chance for plastic surgery is high, but I figure why not give it a try! Weight lifting is good for me anyway! The main area I want to tone is my arms, because I don't like think I would ever have surgery there.

And I am not hungry anymore like I was! Thank goodness. Though I am completely sick of the three choices I have. I meet with my dietitian on Friday and am so incredibly ready to start trying anything new!

How are things going for you this week? :001_tongue:

I have never done a half marathon before. However, when I lost a ton of weight in my early 20's, I was jogging regularly, so I'll probably do a walk/jog routine, to keep it under the 4 hour time limit. And if I don't finish, at least I tried, right?? :thumbup: It will just make me want to do another one so I can complete it.

The blue raspberry crap is this Protein drink that packs 60 grams of Protein in 24 ounces. It's hard to take in. The amount of Water I need to cut down the crazy taste, turns it into about 70 ounces. Ugh.

So what stage are you in now for your nutrition? I was so excited to start mushies, but have barely been able to tolerate anything more than a tablespoon at a time. Even a few sips of Water is causing me so much gas in my throat and on my chest, it's making me nauseous (I'm physically unable to burp--long story--so there's no relief for it).

Anyway, the doc called me today to check in, so I told him about it. He freaked and said he was going to admit me to the hospital for dehydration and starvation since I'm not getting near enough liquids or foods in.

He called in two meds for me...I have one so far, and am waiting on insurance approval on the other, so keep your fingers crossed that it works! I have this posted in another thread, so I guess I need to update that as well.

I hope your appt goes well and you can move on to other foods. I'm barely feeling that hunger anymore, too. But it might be due to the fact that I'm constantly nauseated.

Congrats on the weight loss so far! How often are you going to weigh? I think I'm going to aim for once a week.

Good Job.. Amazing.. keep up the good spirits and work!! Come here when you are down in the dumps and need to feel like you are part of something where everyone understands!!

Congrats, Kermit!!! I was sleeved on the 30th. Yesterday was 7 days post op and am down 16 lbs. Very exciting!! You are doing wonderful!

It is weird how the docs differ on how to advance the diet!! So today I begin 2 weeks of full liquids, then advance to mushies!! They make a Carnation instant Breakfast that is already made it is rich milk chocolate sugar free --- tastes just like choc milk to me 13gms of Protein.

Keep up the great work!!

I have never done a half marathon before. However, when I lost a ton of weight in my early 20's, I was jogging regularly, so I'll probably do a walk/jog routine, to keep it under the 4 hour time limit. And if I don't finish, at least I tried, right?? :w00t: It will just make me want to do another one so I can complete it.

The blue raspberry crap is this Protein drink that packs 60 grams of Protein in 24 ounces. It's hard to take in. The amount of Water I need to cut down the crazy taste, turns it into about 70 ounces. Ugh.

So what stage are you in now for your nutrition? I was so excited to start mushies, but have barely been able to tolerate anything more than a tablespoon at a time. Even a few sips of Water is causing me so much gas in my throat and on my chest, it's making me nauseous (I'm physically unable to burp--long story--so there's no relief for it).

Anyway, the doc called me today to check in, so I told him about it. He freaked and said he was going to admit me to the hospital for dehydration and starvation since I'm not getting near enough liquids or foods in.

He called in two meds for me...I have one so far, and am waiting on insurance approval on the other, so keep your fingers crossed that it works! I have this posted in another thread, so I guess I need to update that as well.

I hope your appt goes well and you can move on to other foods. I'm barely feeling that hunger anymore, too. But it might be due to the fact that I'm constantly nauseated.

Congrats on the weight loss so far! How often are you going to weigh? I think I'm going to aim for once a week.

That sounds like me too, I lost weight in my early 20s and was jogging. I would so love to do it again. Or rather, I WILL do it again! :hurray:

I am still on full liquids. I am SO done with it. The only things on my list right now are: cream of wheat, yogurt, sf pudding, and blenderized Soup (and then Protein shakes and clear liquids). Tomorrow I meet with my nutritionist and am going to ask for cottage cheese and refried Beans, I don't really see the difference with those if I thin the Beans out and blend the cc. Today I had a rough patch, same problems with nausea. Nothing (that I am supposed to be taking in) sounds appealing. I went to the fridge during the day and I would dry heave at the thought of yogurt. I think I am pretty dehydrated too. I really want to get past this over the weekend. I called the doctor and she wants me to call back in the morning, or go to the ER if I can't get any fluids in. :blush:

I really want to weigh only once a week. I don't want to focus too much on the scale. I really don't feel a need to lose too fast, I really want to focus on healthy eating habits and following the program. I am thinking I will weigh in on Thursdays, since that was my surgery day.

I hope you are feeling better and getting that gas out. Are you tolerating any more mushies? What meds is the doctor want to try out? I am going to ask for Zofran if the nausea doesn't subside some. take care!

Hooray! Today was my first doctor appt and 9 days out! 20 lbs gone! Went to the doctor and then nutrition and exercise class. . .they gave us the go ahead to eat Protein food, only the puddings, refried Beans, yogurt, string cheese, cottage cheese, and Protein Drinks. . .so home i go and make myself what is on the menu for thursday. . refried beans 1/2 cup and 1 stik string cheese melted on top. . . wow in my early days that would have been a meal to kill for. . . well, this was an experience. . . i ate about 4 spoons and thought "this must be what they call full" a really pressure and feeling like i ate way too much. . . i had to stand up and go wash dishes, i had to throw away the rest. . . i'd never used to throw away food in the "old" days, now I'll just remember that when it says 1/2 cup just to use 1/4 cup and 1 stik cheese, use 1/2. . . until maybe i can tolerate better. . . the not drinking 15 minutes before and after is definately not a problem! tomorrow morning is Protein Shake and Vitamins. . . that sounds better. . .

Okay I'm a dork, I can't figure this ticker thing out!!!

Wow

You are doing great!! I was sleeved on the 30th and feel good finally. The weight is dropping off even more that I thought it would. You stated that all you can eat is a tablespoon? I can have about 4-5 bites, and then I'm done. I did push it once and could feel pain in my chest. Good sign that I did not need anymore!

Keep up the good work!

Bernadetteweight.png

Stacie--what did the doc say? Did they give you Zofran? Update if you can, would hate for you to have to go to the ER. Luckily I seemed to pull through and am putting more things down.

Thinoneday--Congrats!! This is kind of fun, huh?? Yeah, what an eye opener about Portion Control, huh? I'm still learning that I won't feel "left out" if I don't finish my portion...and that it will satisfy my hunger. It's a journey, alright.

FabBY--you were sleeved on Dec 30th? You are definitely doing better than I was a week out. I think if you save your ticker to your signature, then it should only show up once. But everytime you update it, make sure you delete the old one.

Okay I'm a dork, I can't figure this ticker thing out!!!

Wow

You are doing great!! I was sleeved on the 30th and feel good finally. The weight is dropping off even more that I thought it would. You stated that all you can eat is a tablespoon? I can have about 4-5 bites, and then I'm done. I did push it once and could feel pain in my chest. Good sign that I did not need anymore!

Keep up the good work!

Bernadetteweight.png

When you make your ticker for your signature, make sure you use a PIN number so you can update the same one.

You'll just find a post you made, click on the ticker. It will open a new window for you, and you'll enter your PIN #, and update your stats.

You should NOT have to come back to edit your signature. It will do an update on all the website you have the ticker set up on.

Kermit

Did you get the nausea under control? and are you able to get some food down? I still have a little trouble getting in enough Water, I just feel full! Other than that I feel great and the weight is falling off, I love my sleeve!

Bernadette