Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Total Newbie! Surgery date set & SCARED to death!

Just wanted to say hi! I've been reading posts on this site for a couple weeks now and although I am new to forums, I wanted to register as the support on here seems out of this world!

I am from Canada & after much research & review, have set a surgery date for January 2010 in Nevada. I am excited, nervous, happy, anxious & starting to get a little scared! I know I'm making the right decision for myself, and up until now have not been nervous or scared, but I'm sure this is a normal reaction & I keep telling myself the long term benefits will outweigh my cold feet!

I start my 2wk liquid diet this Friday & part of me thinks it sounds worse than the surgery itself! haha I think one of my biggest fears is wondering how I will know what to do/eat/drink following the surgery... so I am excited to read through many other posts on here for assistance.

I look forward to talking to many of you, hearing your success stories & learning from your experiences! Any and all info/suggestions are totally appreciated.

Carla

Edited by Choose2Lose

Welcome Carla! I'm very happy you decided to register and am excited to follow along with your journey. Your feelings are quite normal...at least that is how I felt as well. We will be here to answer your questions and offer support throughout your two week liquid diet and post-op diet, but I remember I was still nervous about those early out days, wondering if I was doing things right.

Hi Carla! Welcome to VST.

Dee Dee is right. What you are feeling is very normal. I was very nervous (there are always risks of surgery - I had the same nerves having knee surgery earlier this month). But, for me, this has been the BEST thing I could have ever done for myself. I am healthier, more energetic, happier - I really don't think of myself as unhappy before - I just didn't know what I was missing.

For me, the pre-op diet was the hardest part. But it was a short race to the finish line (surgery) and I can do anything for two weeks. Post-op, the hunger went away so it was much easier to stay on the post-op diet. The only difficulty for me was the worry that something would go "wrong". I am a worrier by nature and it wasn't until about 2 week post-op when I had a CT that showed my sleeve in perfect condition that I stopped worrying and started enjoying the weightloss.

Good Luck and again, Welcome!

Hey Carla, and welcome to VST.

Everything you're feeling is completely normal.

Good luck on the pre-op diet, and I'll be happy to hear about your progress.

This surgery is literally the best thing I could of ever done for myself. I'm happier, healthier, and more active than I have ever been in my life.

Best wishes and keep us posted.

Hi,

I was where you are 1 month ago and am now 2 weeks post-op. What you describe is the same for all of us who get close to the big day. The demons on the shoulder will always give you doubts and fears. Human nature means you will spend some time listening to these negatives but as you describe you KNOW the positives far outweigh these. Focus on the postives during you pre-op diet and very soon, like me and many others on the forum, you'll be writing supportive posts to pre-oppers!

Good luck and report back.

Craig

Hi Carla,

I too am new too all of this and scared to death:scared0:. I know I will be doing the right thing for myself and my family but it still is nerve wracking. Good luck to you and your journey. Stay positive and everything will work out.

Jessica

Yahoo IM: robertjesscox

Hey! You are having the surgery the day before mine! I start my pre-op diet tomorrow, on New Year's Eve!!! I am nervous about it as well.

Hi Carla, welcometo VST. When you get really scared, think of the positives. In fact if you would write them down and post them on your mirror it will help. You will be so much healthier. Happiness comes with health. Yes there are complications that can come with any surgery. Even our members that have experiences with these complications are still so happy to have been sleeved. I think my sleeve has added years to my life. Healthy active years. This is not vanity surgery. This is the same to me as getting my gall bladder out. Had to go to save me. I was scared to do it, but my fear was more about what if it does not work for me.HA! it works. Have to have patience. It works. You will be fine, think positive. Keep posting.

Thanks everyone for your posts & your warm/welcoming words. It's such a comfort to hear how positive everyone is on their decisions to be sleeved, really helps me stand behind my decision. I LOVE reading the tickers & weight loss...makes me anxious to start posting the same soon. I can't wait to talk to all of you and have you follow my on my journey as I continue reading about yours!!!

I've found over the last couple days though, that the thing I seem to be questioning most now is my decision to have the surgery in the US and not Mexico. There are soooooo many posts on here from 'more-than-satisfied' patients of Dr Aceves, that I find myself second guessing my surgeon & wondering if I too shouldn't be looking into doing the trek to Mexicali? Any insight? I've done plenty of research & chose a surgeon with tons of credentials from a recognized hospital, but as I'm now reading, his experience is nothing close to that of Dr Aceves... what to do, what to do... surgery is approaching quickly! I'd never really considered Mexico, because the thought of going there seemed horrific, although that may just be me being naive, as in fairness I haven't researched it. Maybe I'm just looking into this too much as another cold feet scare tactic? But your surgeon's experience, team, pre/post surgery care should mean a lot, should it not?!

I'm a newbie too who has just confirmed my surgery date & is also scared to death! lol Although I think I'm more scared of myself & wanting to succeed rather than the surgery. I also waivered between the US & Mexico & finally based my decision on all the positive feedback about the surgeon (Aceves) and his tactics, staff etc. I won't know if I've made the right decision until I'm there, but that's the case when going to a different country.

Good luck in your decision making, I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you.

And, this forum stuff doesn't seem too difficult after all for us newbies... as this is already my 4th post... types me with my husband sitting beside me for assistance!!!

I just noticed you're in Alberta as well! Nothing like having someone to chat with so close to home!

I fully understand what you are feeling. I am a nervous wreck and starving. My surgery is scheduled for Friday---2 days----- at least I am having surgery the same day as my best friend so we can walk the halls together and listen to each other complain about the liquid diet... YUCK... hunger and liquids don't go together. Good luck with your surgery!