Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coleslaw

I had to stay away from raw veggies until 5-6 wks post-op. I could eat cooked veggies at 4 weeks post-op except for a few things like asparagas (had to wait till 6 wks for that). Raw veggies are harder to digest I'm told. Not good for your healing new tummy.

I tried salad at about 3.5 months post-op, and it didn't work well. My surgeon released me for raw veggies at 3 months.

One of the things about coleslaw/cabbage is that it seemed slow to digest, and move out of my stomach. I burped up cabbage for a couple of hours after I ate it, and then even several hours later I would still burped up a few tiny pieces. I had the same issue with pickles until just recently.

Agggghh Noooooo.....I love my pickles. Nutritionist told me I would be able to eat pickles and hot peppers again, she just never said when....LOL! I can live without the salad, but cabbage and pickles I need back someday...LOL!

Just wondering...anyone know about Midol? Doc told me today I could go ahead and take some, but not to make it an everyday occurance?? I suffered the holidays--major pain...said it had to be smaller than my pinky nail...

Anyone have input on that?

Which Midol? There are several forms out there with different analgesics (some of acetaminophen and others have ibuprofen). This early out I would steer clear from anything with ibuprofen in it. At 4.5 months post op I had knee surgery and had to beg my bariatric surgeon to let me take a little ibuprofen (Celebrex just isn't cutting it and the Hydrocodone makes me ITCH. He agreed but put me back on Protonix 40mg twice a day and told me to take the ibuprofen very sparingly. There is a real increased risk of ulcers from NSAIDs with the sleeve - just simple math, less surface area.

Agggghh Noooooo.....I love my pickles. Nutritionist told me I would be able to eat pickles and hot peppers again, she just never said when....LOL! I can live without the salad, but cabbage and pickles I need back someday...LOL!

I can eat all of it now without any issue.

I'm actually making cabbage rolls on New Year's day. I eat the inside of spring and egg rolls all the time. Coleslaw is a favorite, and I love pickles now. It was a temporary thing, and I definitely eat hot peppers now. Jalepeno poppers (you know those little fried thingies with cheddar cheese and jalepeno pieces), yeppers, I chow down on those. I also love, love banana peppers, and those pepperocino peppers at italian places.

So, really once you get a couple of months under your belt, and you start incorporating regular foods, you can truly have anything desire. I just had to introduce things slowly, and only tried something new a couple times a week.

Thanks for the bright spot to look forward to! Lord knows I am sick and tired of milk and yogurt...LOL! I keep telling my kids and family that I WILL be back to my old cooking habits and I will be able to enjoy the holidays with them next year...just in MUCH smaller portions! Can't wait to show people that I can eat the good stuff in moderation. I am hoping to show by example what they should be doing...LOL!