Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared & 2 days until VSG Surgery (12/22)

I am a little apprehensive "is this the right thing to do?"... I am a little scared "will I wake up?.. and will everything be okay?" "Will I be able to handle what it is like post-op?"

I guess this is where faith comes into play - at least for me. So those of you that pray - would you please say a special little prayer for me? Thank you and God bless you!

This is absolutely the right thing to do! What a wonderful gift you are giving yourself for Christmas! Your New Year will mean the beginning of a new you, slimmer, healthier, more confident and remember, more handsome! This is relatively minor surgery on the outside, and after a few days you will be so surprised how good you will feel. Your new tummy will take getting used to but we are here to help if you need it.

Enjoy the process, savour the rewards and put your mind at ease!

Be sure to let us know how it went and of your progress, and welcome in advance to the loser's bench!

I think everyone has the normal and very rational concerns with surgery. You will be able to handle the post-op, I promise. It's a learning process, and we're all here to help you as much as we can.

I'll say a prayer for you that God gives you strength, peace, and grace. You are giving yourself a wonderful gift.

Well, Kermit, you are in for quite the Christmas too, aren't you? Kudos for taking the big step! You will not regret it, so easy to maintain and it is surprising how normal one feels in a relatively short time. Not the old normal of stuffing yourself constantly but normal as to food choices and fitting in again. What we all notice post-op is surprise at how much everyone else eats!

Do keep us informed about your progress and surgery and all!

Best wishes for tomorrow!

Edited by stoongal
left out a word

Well, Kermit, you are in for quite the Christmas too, aren't you? Kudos for taking the big step! You will not regret it, so easy to maintain and it is surprising how normal one feels in a relatively short time. Not the old normal of stuffing yourself constantly but normal as to food choices and fitting in again. What we all notice post-op is surprise at how much everyone else eats!

Do keep us informed about your progress and surgery and all!

Best wishes for tomorrow!

Thank you! And yes, this will be a great Christmas. However, I'm sure my family is a little irritated that I'm doing this so close to the holidays. But with my work schedule, this was the only good time to take off. Oh well, they'll get over it, I'm sure. And if they don't, who really cares, right?? lol

I'm just ready for tomorrow to be here and over with. Luckily, I only had to do a two-day pre-op liquid diet. But I'm hungry, irritated, and feeling very overly emotional. Is that normal??

Olivia, I am right there with you! I had a 5 day 1000 calorie diet followed by 3 days of clears... I'm at the end of day two and I'm exhausted and irritated and emotional. I too am scared of the surgery but am at the point where I trust my medical team and know that I have the strength, and I'm sure that you guys do too! Its nice to have 3 of us on here getting sleeved in the same couples of days and dealing with the stresses of family and the holidays! Best wishes to both of you!!!

Frankman, I'm sure what you are feeling is normal and probably should be expected. I will pray for God to give you a peace about everything. Keep us posted as to how you are doing.

Barb

Good luck to all three of you that are getting vsg. what a christmas present. one that is going to keep giving every year and not stuffed in the back of a closet!! i had those same thoughts the day of surgery. was i doing the right thing, would i wake up and how would i make it through all the post op eating. everryday it gets easier. i will say prayers for you guys over the next few days. lol

I just got sleeved on saturday and honestly, I think the surgery was easier than the pre-op diet! LOL... I also did this over the holidays (obviously) and I am actually not spending Christmas with them in order for me to have this surgery. Trust me, your family understands. they may not like it, but they understand. Sometimes we have to be a little selfish so that we can take care of ourselves. When we take care of ourselves, it puts us in a better position to help our family.

Good luck!

Hello FrankMan,

I read the title of this thread and when I did it took me back in time right before my surgery. If you read all of my postings, you will see that the closer I got to my surgery date the more nervous, anxious or whatever feelings it was, was really messing up my previous sanity. I said I felt like I was on an emotional rollercoaster ride!! I think because of all the risks that we are told that the surgerys have, we tend to get really scared about not making it through the surgery. I have had several major surgeries including a total knee replacement last year and this surgery still made me somewhat fearful of maybe dying on the operating table or dying from complications after surgery. I was so unhealthy before my surgery on Dec.2 and I was hoping and praying that God and My surgeon would help me get through it ok. I had alot of people on here supporting and praying for me. Now that I have had the surgery I cannot believe how well I came through it without hardly any pain. The only pain I had after surgery was some gas pain and some nausea. I only had one small incision about 2 inches long. It healed up in 2 weeks, and now I have the ok to go back to swim exercise classes. I feel so much better than I did before surgery. I know I still have a long way to go, but it was nothing that I expected. But I did go into it knowing what could be the worst to expect and HOPING for the best. I cannot tell you how your surgery will go, because we are all different and we all go by different but similar diets. I can ONLY tell you what my experience was and hope that you and others will also have a good recovery. Just don't back out, hang in there and hope for BIG changes to happen real soon. The most important thing is try to take good care of yourself and if you mess up as most of us do, just get right back on track and go ahead with a positive attitude to do better. Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Frank, You will do just fine. I am only 5 weeks out and it has not been bad. I think the Pre op was worse than these 5 weeks. I was never scared of the surgery only not being able to do the surgery for strange reasons but the Lord allowed everything to go smoothly. I can tell you I have lost 25 pounds in 5 weeks and have been on a stall for two weeks now but... I feel better than I have in years. My pressure is down so low that I am scared to take my medicine. You will feel much better and will never second guess your decision. Promise!!