Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

total knee surgery-in hospital

Norma

Hey everyone!

I am in St Joeseph hospital in Kansas City for the next 3 days. Surgery was this morning. they did a nerve block and general anesthia through an IV. Surgery went well except that the plastic piece that resembles cartilage did not snap on and so the doctor had to order another knee and wait for 45 min for persom to deliver it. I was in surgery from 10am to 2pm. I am doing well, still have morphine pump tonight. I will have to get up tomorrow and walk on it. I'm in room 548.

After just having the sleeve surgery I can't believe you had your knee surgery so soon, but your a courageous woman Norma. I sure hope you have a speedy recovery and what pain you do have will be tolerable.

wow- when I had my replacement...... I didn't want to talk or be around anyone!!

Sounds like you'r doing good!!

Wishing you a speedy recovery!!

wow- when I had my replacement...... I didn't want to talk or be around anyone!!

Sounds like you'r doing good!!

Wishing you a speedy recovery!!

She must be getting the good drugs. Get well soon Norma.

Bill

Well, I am home from having knee replacement surgery and am progressing albeit not as fast as I recovered from sleeve surgery. Knee surgery is painful-hugely. Physical therapy is intense pain because you are breaking down the adhesions that are trying to form so that you can bend and straighten the leg. Then the Luveniox makes me feel cold. Of course, the 15 degree weather and snow we are having could have a part to play in that too. I am probably going to have to miss about 12 weeks of work. That is rough because I like my job and like to be in control since I am used to being the boss.

But, Christmas was great and I got some new clothes and was surprised that I now wear a size 18/20 in tops!!!!!!! I am doing pretty well with the diet except that I really can't eat much and am having to use hydrocodone elixir for pain meds because pills are too tough on the tummy every 4 hours. I am going to have to drink Protein Drinks to get all my Protein in. Anyway, just wanted to check in and update you all on my status.

To all you newbies and those researching the sleeve, it will be the best surgery and best tool you will ever chose to get for yourself. I am so happy that I had mine done. Knee replacement surgery--well, let me get a few more weeks past this before I make any recommendations. lol

I'm glad to hear you are home and recovering. I know how painful PT can be just with my 2 knee surgeriers it was torture.

Keep on trucking Norma, and keep us posted.

I hate to be one to say I told you so............. but it is a TUFF surgery!!!! I have a high tolerance to pain... and i was hurting really bad... ND WITH MY WEIGHT and physical therapy........... I was a mess. "But it does get better!!!"

Hang in there........... it will be well worth it in the end!!!

Well, I am home from having knee replacement surgery and am progressing albeit not as fast as I recovered from sleeve surgery. Knee surgery is painful-hugely. Physical therapy is intense pain because you are breaking down the adhesions that are trying to form so that you can bend and straighten the leg. Then the Luveniox makes me feel cold. Of course, the 15 degree weather and snow we are having could have a part to play in that too. I am probably going to have to miss about 12 weeks of work. That is rough because I like my job and like to be in control since I am used to being the boss.

But, Christmas was great and I got some new clothes and was surprised that I now wear a size 18/20 in tops!!!!!!! I am doing pretty well with the diet except that I really can't eat much and am having to use hydrocodone elixir for pain meds because pills are too tough on the tummy every 4 hours. I am going to have to drink Protein drinks to get all my Protein in. Anyway, just wanted to check in and update you all on my status.

To all you newbies and those researching the sleeve, it will be the best surgery and best tool you will ever chose to get for yourself. I am so happy that I had mine done. Knee replacement surgery--well, let me get a few more weeks past this before I make any recommendations. lol

Norma I'm happy you are home and managing. I just can't believe how healthy your attitude is considering all you have to contend with. I myself can't get excited aout anything anymore but that's another story. Contratulations on your new clothing size. I am so happy you are happy to have had the sleeve surgery. Take good care now of that knee and as for the rest you know what to do. Much love and gratitude -Lis

Norma,

Glad to hear you are home and recovering. I hear you on the PT. I had knee surgery on the 16th and am doing it daily. It stinks. Fortunately for me, my surgery was not nearly as invasive as yours so I totally feel for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

I am trying to adjust to the pain level and the need to constantly keep in motion. I am progressing well according to the physical therapist but it is annoying that as I get my quads contracting then my knee gets stiff and then I have to really work to bend it and vice versa. Can't seem to sleep for more than 2 hours at a time as the knee stiffens and start shooting pain. Of course, I can only take the pain meds every four hours. I did see my range of motion improve some-I have 110 degrees of flexion but am still struggling to extend my leg straight -5 degrees. Feels like I am working out all the time but not able to really do any cardio so weight loss is slow. However, I am only needing about 10 units of Novolog daily now and BP is getting better. Wearing smaller sizes too so will have to go through the closet and purge of too big clothes. It will all balance out eventually.

Norma,

I have always hear how painful the recovery is from TK surgery, but also hear how wonderful it is afterwards to have brand new knees that work awesomely. So I'm sure in a couple of months you'll be out dancing and smiling from ear to ear...the new you from head to toe!!! Congrats!

Your "need to control" will serve to help you stick with the program and do a great job in Physical Therapy.

Norma -

All I can say is pain sucks! It really does. BUT, for you it is a means to an end. Take what you can to control it, if it isn't working, let you doctor know, there is always something else.

I was visiting with a lady yesterday at PT that also had a TK but was much further along than you. She said the pain was horrible initially but now the pain has subsided and she has "new knees". She can do things she couldn't do before and without pain. So there really is a "light at the end of your tunnel". Keep working hard in PT and you will reach that light, with new knees and a skinnier you. Imagine the possibilities.

Edited by i1Linda

Cajun -

All I can say is pain sucks! It really does. BUT, for you it is a means to an end. Take what you can to control it, if it isn't working, let you doctor know, there is always something else.

I was visiting with a lady yesterday at PT that also had a TK but was much further along than you. She said the pain was horrible initially but now the pain has subsided and she has "new knees". She can do things she couldn't do before and without pain. So there really is a "light at the end of your tunnel". Keep working hard in PT and you will reach that light, with new knees and a skinnier you. Imagine the possibilities.

My post was a reply to Norma...she had the knee surgery. :scared0::laugh0::laugh0: