Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I doubt that "runny" grits would get caught in the staple line. Things that are problematic are things like strawberry seeds, apple peel, tiny bits of meats....things that are slow to break down and difficult to chew to "goo".

Try some purreed Bean with Bacon Soup if you're in that stage.....it's flavorful and warm, soothing and filling. pureed cottage cheese topped with pureed peaches would make a nice two layer "dessert". I think it's important not to get bored with the stage you're in, you have to season things, and alternate tastes of naturally sweet, tart, salty, creamy etc.

Tracy

You didn't mention if you are taking Nexium, Prilosec, or some type of acid blocker medication. If you are not, I believe stomach acid reflux might be causing you some discomfort. I did not have much pain from my sleeve surgery; however, I have a very high tolerance to pain and have been in intense pain from my right knee (bone grating on bone because I don't have any cartilage left). Hope you start feeling better soon.

Thanks Tracy and Norma!

I was prescribed Zegarin and have not taken it since I couldn't keep down meds (the taste and texture made me sick). But have since been able to start my Vitamins since I am a week out now and feeling much more "normal". I will start my antacid meds prescribed today!

And as for the grits, and other meal ideas those are SO helpful. I really want to stay put with my liquids but need the variety.

Thanks girls!

Rachel

I too am 6 days post op. only spent one night in hospital. was on Clear Liquids until today and went to full liquids then in 3 days mush foods also. i have a little catch under my left breast area on my abdomen and it is uncomfortable to sit or lie down right now.

I have some questions. I am so excited i made it through the surgery, but I am wondering if anyone else shares the experiences I am having. The pain is pretty bad. I am doing the walking, but the gas doesn't want to come out (either end), I know it sounds gross, but it feels like knives in my chest, shoulders and tummy. I use a heating pad as well, but it still hurts. I may be acting like a big baby too, but the soreness is pretty intense as well.

How long after surgery did everyone feel better? How many days until I feel like I can stand straight up instead of favoring my tummy and leaning over while walking?

I am on liquid Lortab and it helps with the soreness, but not the gas.

I constantly feel as if I need to hiccup, and it hurts.

Any suggestions, thoughts or shared experiences would be great.

I also wanted to share that I am not super hungry, but don't feel satisfied with just the Protein shakes and popsicles etc, too sweet. I am going to try some Soup and see if that helps. I am worried that I am still going to be hungry and this isn't going to work for me like all of you. Am I just overthinking everything and did anyone else have this sleeve paranoia afterwards?

I lost 14 lbs pre-op and I am waiting to weigh in for another week since they told me to due to all the liquids etc in the IV, that I may not go down for a while and don't want it to discourage me.

I only had the nausea and gas pains after surgery, no pain from the incision. It lasted a week and I am almost 2 weeks out and I still have small bouts of light pain from the gas. I have been taking since the night before surgery an acid reducer called Zanitidine 150 mg from Wal-Mart generic for Zantac I Think or whatever the brand name ones are beside the EQATE WAL-MART Brand. I take 1 in the morning and 1 at night. Dr. Husted prescribed me some pills for after surgery that I take 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening and they are

METOCLOPRAM 10 MG WHICH IS GENERIC FOR REGLAN 10 mg. They must be helping or either the pains gradually decrease after a week. I hope this helps if you are not taking anything for it, or maybe you can talk to your doctor about getting some for yourself instead of what you might be taking now if they are not helping. Have a good day!!

Thanks Tracy and Norma!

I was prescribed Zegarin and have not taken it since I couldn't keep down meds (the taste and texture made me sick). But have since been able to start my Vitamins since I am a week out now and feeling much more "normal". I will start my antacid meds prescribed today!

And as for the grits, and other meal ideas those are SO helpful. I really want to stay put with my liquids but need the variety.

Thanks girls!

Rachel

Hello,

I found out after about a week that I was getting so tired of trying to swallow pills with Water and getting so full that I did not want to eat much of anything afterwards because of the bad taste of some of my pills that I had to do something different. So I decided to do it like I had to do working with the handicap people. We had to put there pills in a spoonful of pudding or applesauce. Well I decided to make one of my Protein chocolate or strawberry milkshakes and put my pill in a spoonful of the shake. And I have been doing it that way ever since, because I take 8 pills each morning that are not chewable. It helps so much, especially to take the bad taste out of my mouth much quicker. Water only makes a bad tasting pill taste worst. I hope this will help anyone that has not tried it. Have a great day!!

RCarter,

Please allow your body and your new stomach time to heal. You've had MAJOR surgery where they removed approx 75% of your stomach. There is a LONG incision line with staples on the inside that has to heal completely. It WILL NOT heal if you start adding foods too fast and get something stuck in the staple line. The doctor prescribed diet is necessary....not just a suggestion. While some people break all the rules and may not see complications, it's definitely not the recommended course of action. If you aren't feeling satisfied with your portions, please contact your surgeon or his nurse for advice...don't just start adding in solid foods because someone else did. Protein powders, liquids etc will help you feel fuller and more satisfied. GasX helps many people with the gas pains.

Most of all, allow your body the time it needs to heal and pamper this new "restriction tool" that has been formed out of your own stomach.

Advice is good here....but don't take the advice on any forum OVER the advice of your own doctor's orders without seriously understanding the risks!

You're gonna do great!!!!

Tracy

Great sound advice! Thanks for you response.

RCarter,

Please allow your body and your new stomach time to heal. You've had MAJOR surgery where they removed approx 75% of your stomach. There is a LONG incision line with staples on the inside that has to heal completely. It WILL NOT heal if you start adding foods too fast and get something stuck in the staple line. The doctor prescribed diet is necessary....not just a suggestion. While some people break all the rules and may not see complications, it's definitely not the recommended course of action. If you aren't feeling satisfied with your portions, please contact your surgeon or his nurse for advice...don't just start adding in solid foods because someone else did. Protein powders, liquids etc will help you feel fuller and more satisfied. GasX helps many people with the gas pains.

Most of all, allow your body the time it needs to heal and pamper this new "restriction tool" that has been formed out of your own stomach.

Advice is good here....but don't take the advice on any forum OVER the advice of your own doctor's orders without seriously understanding the risks!

You're gonna do great!!!!

Tracy

I agree with Tracy 200% :lol0: If you advance your diet too soon you can have serious, even life-threatening complications. Follow your surgeon's instructions exactly. Small sip, burp, small sip, burp, etc...that helps reduce the gas pains. If you don't let the burp come up, the next sip will HURT.

Walk Walk Walk. Try your best to get in all the recommended fluids so you don't get dehydrated...that's the most important thing the first week or two. You may not reach the goal at first, just try your best.

Don't expect to be eating a normal amount of food...you CANNOT fit it in your stomach and will hurt yourself if you try. Yes you may feel weak for a couple of weeks, but just think of this ....you are losing a lot of weight so it is worth it!

Be safe, stay positive, post your questions on this forum and we all will do our best to help you!