Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay, so here I am 6 months post-op, and I am realizing that my tastebuds have changed yet again.

Good news though, they have gone back to how they were before surgery. I can tolerate Splenda, and flavored coffee Creamers. The only thing I can't stand is mustard. It is just beyond bitter, and far too twangy. Honey mustard is fine, or dijon mustard, but regular ole' yellow, hot dog mustard makes me want to hurl.

I love that things taste normal again. I'm actually happy about being able to have stuff that actually tastes good in my mouth. Eating is so much easier these last few weeks. I thought I would share just because I know immediately post-op, and especially the first 3-4 months nothing tasted good or even sounded appetizing. But, it's all good now. So, for those of you still in the post-op diet, or just getting into regular food, believe me, it gets better. I was really discouraged when nothing tasted like it used to, or tasted horrible. Just remember, it's just temporary, so don't get too discouraged.

Even though food tastes great again, I'm still not hungry, nor am I really having issues "following the rules". Protein is so much easier to get in from food sources. I am not using any protein drinks/mixes, and can save those calories for real food.

Okay, so here I am 6 months post-op, and I am realizing that my tastebuds have changed yet again.

Good news though, they have gone back to how they were before surgery. I can tolerate Splenda, and flavored coffee Creamers. The only thing I can't stand is mustard. It is just beyond bitter, and far too twangy. Honey mustard is fine, or dijon mustard, but regular ole' yellow, hot dog mustard makes me want to hurl.

I love that things taste normal again. I'm actually happy about being able to have stuff that actually tastes good in my mouth. Eating is so much easier these last few weeks. I thought I would share just because I know immediately post-op, and especially the first 3-4 months nothing tasted good or even sounded appetizing. But, it's all good now. So, for those of you still in the post-op diet, or just getting into regular food, believe me, it gets better. I was really discouraged when nothing tasted like it used to, or tasted horrible. Just remember, it's just temporary, so don't get too discouraged.

Even though food tastes great again, I'm still not hungry, nor am I really having issues "following the rules". Protein is so much easier to get in from food sources. I am not using any Protein drinks/mixes, and can save those calories for real food.

Oh thank you so much for this thread...I was hoping things would be normal after a while. You gave and have always given the best advice, about what we will actually go through. I can't wait for that stage.

I also see your only 10 lbs away from your goal weight. I'm so happy for you.....you deserve this so much.:w00t:

Good to know. So far, just a few days out, I can't say that I have noticed much in the way of a change of taste. But, I haven't tasted all that many things either! I'm glad that the "hunger" hasn't returned for you. I can already tell that my "affair" with food has forever changed. I find myself wondering if I will miss that insane gorging on pizza and stuff. I know I will still want certain foods, but I can tell that the "unnatural" mental high that I once got from the idea of pigging out just isn't there.

Some people have more trouble with others, having "head hunger"...longing for certain foods and feeling "hungry" for them...but after getting in some fluids often that feeling goes away. I have not had much of that, in fact, am still having some days when nothing tastes good but I eat because I have to get in the Protein. It's a slight nausea but not really...hard to describe. But it's so great to not have that old hungry all the time feeling that kept me obese. What a miracle, really.

I have to remind myself to get in the fluids and food...just get busy doing things and remember that I forgot to eat and drink.

well i know my taste buds have changed. i have been trying to drink coffee for the last week and half, been making it the same way i always have and it is so bitter to me. between different foods and my Protein Shakes i am getting between 70-85 grams of Protein per day. i am on the mushy stage and tonight we had meatballs and i just mushed then up real good, field peas and green Beans mushed up. i hope that i'm not messing up eating. i am three days from soft foods.

I gotta tell you that I'm struggleing right now... and I'm 10 months out.

I had "head hunger" realllyyyyyy bad at about 4 months out... that is gone. Now I might think of something to eat- I will make it... and guess what?? It's not at all what I want.

I don't have any hunger-and I with my work schedule- I have a hard time eating three meals a day. Sometimes I don't eat at all. And I KNOW thats the wrong thing to do- I just got out of the habit of "planning"

Example: Yesterday I had my coffee and Protein for Breakfast. (7 am ) Didn't get to go to lunch unt almost 3 pm- got a Wendy's small chile- ate 1/2 and then about 6pm ate the other 1/2.

That was it! No way is that what I should be doing.I know I need to plan better... and I think I got lazy- someone YELL AT ME!!!:):scared0::scared0:

And with the holidays here- yep- I do like the forbidden CHOCOLATE!!!

I also notice I don't like red meat. A steak does not even interrest me.

Just kinda rattling here...... but wanted to state that my taste buds have changed tooo.

So here I am 2 days out. I just finished taking 1 hour to finish a little under 1 cup of broth. Is this normal?

8oz per hour is normal. When I was first on Clear liquids, I was supposed to sip 2oz every 15 minutes.

You're doing good, just keep sipping. The more fluids you can get in the better. Some can handle more every 15 minutes, I struggled to get in 4oz every hour for the first week.

Keep up the good work.

Wis. Gal:Yup, perfectly normal. I got so frustrated having to re-heat everything. Just put a shot glass full of liquid in a cup and heat it and then you can finish it before it gets cold. Then repeat until you have your 1/4 cup done. Your new tummy is SMALL and healing from a major wound. Give it lots of time to adjust.

Enjoy this part. Lots of new stuff coming. Gotta enjoy each stage of your journey.

Chancie: Can you go back to basics: More Protein Drinks at a regular interval? Eat one meal a day, drink 2? I saw this recently: Breakfast like a Queen, (think Queen size) lunch like a Princess, and dinner like a Pauper. You did not talk about exercise. Come on Chancie, you are one of my hero's here. You and Tiffy are the only Long termers still posting regularly. Please do not let work take over your life. I loved the story about going shopping with your friend and her being bigger than you. NSV for sure. Look for thoes moments. You deserve them and many many more. Work that tool girl.

I gotta tell you that I'm struggleing right now... and I'm 10 months out.

I had "head hunger" realllyyyyyy bad at about 4 months out... that is gone. Now I might think of something to eat- I will make it... and guess what?? It's not at all what I want.

I don't have any hunger-and I with my work schedule- I have a hard time eating three meals a day. Sometimes I don't eat at all. And I KNOW thats the wrong thing to do- I just got out of the habit of "planning"

Example: Yesterday I had my coffee and Protein for breakfast. (7 am ) Didn't get to go to lunch unt almost 3 pm- got a Wendy's small chile- ate 1/2 and then about 6pm ate the other 1/2.

That was it! No way is that what I should be doing.I know I need to plan better... and I think I got lazy- someone YELL AT ME!!!:):scared0::scared0:

And with the holidays here- yep- I do like the forbidden CHOCOLATE!!!

I also notice I don't like red meat. A steak does not even interrest me.

Just kinda rattling here...... but wanted to state that my taste buds have changed tooo.

Chancie - You are not alone. There are days when I get in 2 meals per day, and that's it. No snacking, no grazing, nothing. I find that I have "cravings" for food, but once I eat it, it's not really satisfying. I'm not sure what is going on in my head. I'm still never hungry, yet I know I need to eat. I've quit eating breakfast again (bad bad habit), and I really need to get back to basics.

For me, I think it's because I know I need to maintain this weight for a bit, and what I've been doing is working and I don't want to start dropping weight fast again. I'm scared if I keep up the program, I'm going to lose too much, tooo fast, and not be able to maintain.

I've been craving Thai food for the last 2 weeks, and tomorrow I'm going out to lunch with a girlfriend. Heaven forbid it not taste good tomorrow. I don't even know if it's really a matter of the food not tasting good or is it that I just don't know what I really want to eat.

The psychological stuff that comes along with this surgery isn't an easy trip some days. I'm still trying to get my head to catch up with my body. I still miss some of my favorites, but it is getting to be more manageable.

I hope that makes sense.

ok - going off the subject slightly- but after losing nearly 28 pounds i actually for the first time tonight thought i looked slimmer in the mirror.

Chancie and tiff you are my mentors really helping with any problems i have. I just read some of your older posts. Ive never been slim in my life so i keep thinking im going to "fail" somehow- but to be honest i cant really fail as i dont feel like im dieting at all. food is not bothering me at all at the moment - i dont feel like im missing out on anything and that was my biggest fear.

And one last miracle i havent smoked a cigarette since the op not one. (yay) But apart from that i dont feel my tastebuds have changed much. Still getting used to my new stomach.

Dalite

ps happy christmas to everyone.

xx

hey Carolyn!!!

Thanks for the "pep" talk.......... I need it..

I'm not gaining..but not doing what I need to do, so not sure if I make goal by my year Surgerversary.

I'm hoping to get more focused after Christmas, not an excuse, just a fact... I put some things on hold, as long as I'm not gaining.

Tiff...

I still can't eat Breakfast, so thats why I still do the Protein drinks in the morning. I still vomit and feel bad when I eat early. If it's my day off, I can eat eggs etc. IF I am up several hours.

And yea...... the exerciseing SUXS right now. I gotta find SOMETHING I really like... and wish I had a workout partener.......

No support here on this end ( boo hoo ) lol.......... but PROMISE......... Dec.26th............ am back to basics and normal work schedule.

I'm ok since I'm not gaining........ but gotta get back into the groove!!

36 pounds!!!!

SO CLOSE YET SO FAR AWAY!!!!

Chancie: I am right there with you on the 26th. I know exactly what you mean. I believe in the sleeve as a tool, so, maybe it needs to work on its own for a couple of weeks. We can be work~out buddies, tell me when you go to the gym and I will go then too. we can compare routines. Bet you are so far ahead of me I will really have to sweat to catch up! Hang in there until the 26th!!!

Even though food tastes great again, I'm still not hungry, nor am I really having issues "following the rules". Protein is so much easier to get in from food sources. I am not using any Protein drinks/mixes, and can save those calories for real food.

I have been wondering about the taste thing. Sometimes my head tells me something is going to taste so good, just like it did pre-op, but then when I try it I can't believe how different it tastes. I use to love those hot fudge sundaes at McDonald's, and so one day I just had to buy one. I only ate part of it and I had a hard time getting that down. It was way too sweet. Sweets were one of my weaknesses. But now when I eat them I start to get nauseous and I can't eat very much. I hope that stays the same, but with other healthy foods, I hope it changes. I don't feel hungry, but I know that I need to eat, so I try to eat 3 meals and a snack. I can only eat 3-4 ounces in 30-45 minutes. So I usually eat 1/2 and save the other half for later. I have not been counting calories. I am having a hard time with the taste of Water, but I try to drink it anyway so that I don't get dehydrated. The Powerade 0 drinks were too sweet tasting to me. I am glad that you put this on here, now I am hoping my taste buds will change with time. Thank you for your comments.