Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi. My journey began about 2 months ago when my PC physician told me that I had to lose weight or I would lose 12 to 15 years of my life. He scaired me. Since then I have been looking for information on the internet and from friends that have had bypasses. My beginning weight was 284 lbs.

I made another appointment with my doctor to discuss weight loss surgery options and he referred me to a weight management clinic to begin the process. I have already met with my new doctor and have met with a dietitian. At this point I still haven't decided for sure whether to have a bypass or VSG although I'm leaning towards the VSG, much less invasive. Next month I will follow up with my doctor and meet with a Psychologist. I guess the wheels are in motion. My surgery will probably be late January or February.

I am currently on a preparatory high-Protein diet to help me lose some weight before surgery. It's going pretty well, not that I've been perfect, but I am losing weight. I've lost about 10 lbs already according to my scale (The doctor's scale is always unkind).

I look forward to getting some "before" pictures and posting them to begin my journey.

I have read many threads from this website and have received a lot of helpful information. Thank you all.

Welcome Dan! Congratulations on your decision to become healthier, I'm excited to hear about your journey.

Dan S: Welcome to the loosers bench. soon-to-be-sleeve-buddy! I have confidence in your research deciding for VSG over bypass. Hope your Doctors agree. THe sleeve is such a great tool to have in the battle of the bulge. Keep us posted on your decisions and progress.

All I can tell you is that bypass

has a much higher incident of regain. When they cut the stomach on bypass they use a different part of the stomach. The sleeve stomach is made from a part of the

stomach that is not stretchy-it's muscular.

Besides that, you're looking being vigilant the rest of your life

with taking Vitamins and supplements because of the malabsorption issue you have to take into account with bypass.

Dan - welcome to VST and congratulations on the 10 lb lost - it's a start - and you're now on your way to a WLS and permanent weight loss - one lb at a time ... keep us posted on your decision and your progress.

Hi Dan-

Welcome to the forum! And congratulations on your decision to become healthy!

I'm really glad I made the decision to go with the sleeve. But it is a personal choice- so I hope you do your research and make the right decision for you.

Congrats on the 10 pounds too! Keep us posted on what you decide... and your progress!

Dan, welcome to VST, we are thrilled to have you join us. Whichever weight loss surgery you decide to go with, we look forward to hearing about your progress. Please keep us posted on how things are going.

Thank you all for your support and advice. Yesterday didn't go too well on the diet. Still, I didn't leave the Thanksgiving dinner in a food coma like I usually have in the past. I guess that's progress. I'm still hovering around 10 lbs but I hope to be around 20 when I go see the doctor on the 27th of December. Wish me luck.

I have pretty much decided to go with the VSG. The life after surgery with the Gastric Bypass just seems so miserable. I want a little more flexibility in choosing what I can eat with out having to worry about dumping syndrome. The VSG seems to be just what the doctor ordered for me.

Welcome Dan! Good luck on your journey. Sounds like you are off to a great start already. I just had the sleeve a week ago and if I can help in any way, let me know.

All I can tell you is that bypass

has a much higher incident of regain. When they cut the stomach on bypass they use a different part of the stomach. The sleeve stomach is made from a part of the

stomach that is not stretchy-it's muscular.

Besides that, you're looking being vigilant the rest of your life

with taking Vitamins and supplements because of the malabsorption issue you have to take into account with bypass.

I never knew this before? does this suppose to mean that weight regain suppose to be less common with the sleeve?

Yes! isn't that great!

Dan, I think you made the right decision. I am really happy with the sleeve. I just lost another 5 lbs without even trying. Maintaining weight loss with the sleeve has been effortless for me.

Well, here I am again. Tha Thanksgiving weekend was rough. We had three Thanksgiving dinners to include everyone in the family. One Thursday, one Friday, and one Saturday. Ugh! Still I managed to get away with a 3 pound loss. That brings the total to 13 pounds. Yay me! It's still hard to do, but I have received support and motivation to see this thing through and make a life change. My wife is great. She is the one that got me started. It always helps to have a cheering section. Thanks to you all.

weight.png

Welcome Dan!

I hope that whatever your choice is whether it's GB or VSG that you utilize the support systems out there, they have been a live savor. I am 2 weeks out VSG and feel SOOOOOO good already. I can put a ring on that I couldn't wear and can see a big difference in my belly. Every day I wake up with hope and restored desires for what I can achieve in life. I hope you find your way and live a great life! :thumbup:

~Chandra

WTG Dan!!

Thats awsesome that you were stil able to lose 3 pounds!! And to have a supportive wife who is behind you - I'm sure that really helps too!

I think men have a different mind set than women- just my opinion.... and once they make up their mind with the wieght issues- just go forward.

Congrats and G'luck!!

Hey Dan, and welcome to VST. Way to go with your pre-op loss thus far, the sleeve will make some of the decision-making process with food so much easier. I look forward to keeping up with your progress.