Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone in and out same day?

My surgeon told me that if all goes well, I can be in and out the same day after having VSG. Anyone attempted this?

My husband is not supportive of my decision at all. He is telling me that I will have stolen joyful things from our marriage if I go through with it. Champagne, beer, cake and ice cream...I told him I thought I would be able to have an occasional glass of wine.

Anyone not able to tolerate wine?

I am new to this forum, but have been reading your posts all day! So informative. I have 108 lbs to lose. I am 34 and have a 6 year-old and a 4-month-old. Am I crazy for wanting to do this surgery? I want to be healthy and active with my kids.

Anyone's spouse bringing them down?

Robin34, husbands are so afraid for us. You will be able to have every thing you ate before the surgery. You just have to wait 2 or 3 months until after surgery to start introducing various foods. You will not be able to eat as much cake and ice cream. I had 3 bites of pumkin pie and was FULL. Drinking, I am not doing yet, but do look forward to it. My husband now sees the light, I eat way less and I am a cheap date now. hahahah It took him time to come around to the surgery idea. I hope yours will too. I am curious, when can you have this surgery? I notice you have a 4 month old.

I wouldn't be comfortable going home after major surgery. The risk for leaks is highest within the first week, and I had 3 leak tests.

I know some surgeons do this procedure on an outpatient basis, but I personally would not go home without at least 2 leak tests, and an overnight stay in the hospital.

My husband was extremely supportive on my decision to have this surgery. I'm a band to sleeve revision and he was supportive of both surgeries. Neither one of us are drinkers per se, and I haven't attempted to drink anything since my sleeve surgery. I was able to drink alcoholic beverages with my band.

I don't think you're crazy for wanting to live a longer, more healthy life for yourself. Tell your husband about all the joyful activities that you 2 can do after you lose the weight. Just from my personal experience, my marriage is more exciting, fun, and full of surprises due to me losing weight. We are more active in and out of the bedroom as well. There are going to be plenty of joyful things that you can share. Just get creative, and make him a list of all the great adventures you 2 can participate when you lose weight, gain more confidence, and more energy.

Best wishes, and keep us posted on your progress.

Hi Robin, welcome to the boards!

I haven't had my sleeve yet but I'm scheduled to have it in 2 days. Needless to say, my nerves are a bit frazzled right now. I'm not sure about the out patient VSG but I'd say staying at least over night just to be safe.

My husband was very set against me having this when we first talked about it. I've been overweight for 20 years. I used to be anti-WLS. Not for others, but for myself. I remember telling my husband probably 7-8 years ago when I would read about gastric bypass people, "Man! I would never do that. That's crazy".

Well about 3 years ago is when I started to consider it for myself. I only looked into the lapband. I knew for me, I couldn't do the bypass. Anyway, I told my husband and he was like, "No way. You can do it on your own". So I agreed I would give it a real effort to do it on my own and I did.

I lost 70 lbs in 2 years. Not the fastest loser or anything but I felt really good and thought I had this problem under control finally. But I was just kidding myself. I started to gain the weight back in the last 9 months and I've gained 50 lbs of it back. Just that fast!

So I told my husband 3 months ago I wanted to have the VSG. He tried to scare me out of it. Especially going to Mexico. He was not being supportive at all. In fact he was really making me upset with some of the things he was saying to me.

I finally sat him down and told him, "I'm doing this with or without your support. I love you and I need you to be by my side for this..." there was a bit more said, but you get the point. I basically told him the things he was saying to me were not nice and in fact I felt they were mean and if he loved me, he would want the best for me.

Since then he's completely changed, at least outwordly towards me. He's supportive. He holds me the few times I broke down and cried in fear and assured me that everything will be okay.

I think if you talk to your husband and tell him you are doing this for your health, maybe he will be more supportive. I mean, you can't eat cake and drink beer if you are dead from being obese. Ya know?

Whatever happens, good luck to you. Sorry this post is so long its just that I can completely relate and i'm sure many others can as well.

Thank you all for responding. Dr said I can have surgery tomorrow if I want (not really, since I have to do the pre-surgery diet). After I had my son, I lost all my baby weight plus 9 lbs. LOL! Then I gained 10 back!

My hasband is also overweight and I think he thinks we are fat and happy together. I have forced him to look at himself and that makes him mad.

I feel awful for my children...I spend my weekends in front of tv and taking naps when my husband offers to let me. I want to take my kids to the park and on trips. We do nothing now as far as outdoor activity. I don't want my daughter to grow up thinking this is ok.

Thanks again for the responses. I will keep you posted, but I am planning on scheduling my surgery for January 14th.

I had an overnight stay at the hospital and went home the next morning after the leak test. My surgeon said some surgeons were doing this outpatient, but he wasn't comfortable with that. As for alcohol, we were told that we should wait a year, but then we could have a little alcohol if we wanted. As for the other things, one of the best things about the sleeve is after the initial period of adjustment to your new stomach, there really isn't much you can't enjoy. You will just be eating a few bites instead of a lot of whatever it is you want. When I go out to eat, I order an appetizer or Soup, and can't finish all of that.