Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crazy "what if" question related to travel....

...okay, the year is closing in on me, and I've found out today that my surgery (Dr. Nick here in Dallas) has submitted approval paperwork to my insurance provider for a tenative date of December 7. Now, I know that much can change on that date depending on the insurance outcome-I haven't even had my one-on-one consult yet. (I just know based on the UHC that the caseworker has the claim and it's pending approval).

But, here's the thing. I have a trip to Walt Disney World scheduled for Christmas--leaving on December 18. What are the chances I would even remotely feel like flying and/or visiting the "happiest place on Earth" so soon after surgery?

We go to Disney often, so I know virtually everything there is to know about rides, food, etc. I just don't know if I will be in the right place post op to consider such a trip. We can't really reschedule Disney because of the air fare issue and the fact that the first quarter of the year is busy for my husband and may include a trip overseas.

If I wait until January as I would prefer, I need my stupid insurance company to decide to post what our benefits are going to be (meaning I need to be assured without any doubt that my coverage stays the same). I would prefer mid-January as my husband is having shoulder surgery on December 28 (and I can't imagine trying to do the pre-op diet while at Walt Disney World anyway) and squeezing it in the last week of December seems unlikely.

What to do.....should I just calm down and let things progress as they should? Or, should I consider the possibility of an early December surgery with the Disney trip only weeks later?

Many thanks for any and all candid advise!!

I would not have had any trouble going to disney that soon after surgery. I felt great within 48 hours of surgery. I could not even tell I had surgery. If you think you can follow the post op diet while out of town, go for it!

Thanks for the info. I would prefer to rearrange and go over Thanksgiving on one hand as I could clear my mind and be ready for whatever comes. That said, Disney would be a great place to "recover" and enjoy the blessing of the holiday after such an amazing journey begins.

I was still having some post surgical diarrhea spells at that time, and was tiring easily, taking naps. I would have been miserable myself, at Disney that soon. And mad that I could not do all the things I wanted to do there because of needing bathroom and rest breaks. Just me. it was hard to get in all the fluids, and walking around at Disney would have meant I would need even more fluids...nope, could not have done it comfortably.

I could not have done Disney either. I am almost a month out, my energy levelis not back to normal yet. I still take naps. I am gaining strength every day and am working out at the gym (bike) but to go to Disney and all the walking and rides etc? don't think so. I would be back at the hotel a lot and feeling bad because my husband would be "curtailed". That in mind, know yourself. Do you recover quickly? the post diet is really easy to follow. It is Soup, Protein and Water. You can do that anywhere. I hope you get the surgery in before Thanksgiving, then you will have more recovery time before Disney. Do what is best for you and your healthy recovery. Good luck!

I think the reason I was not the least bit tired after surgery was because I was able to get in tons of Protein. I didn't have the issues of not liking my Protein drinks, so I got over and above the required amount of Protein. The same goes for Water. I had no trouble drinking the way some people do, so I had over and above the amount I was supposed to have.

My problem was drinking slowly. I was only supposed to have 2 oz every 20 min. and I had to watch the clock so I didn't have 8 oz in one minute.

I would go to Disney tomorrow if I had the opportunity and if I wasn't waiting on knee surgery. I am 10 days out and not having any problems with energy or bathroom issues. I get the Protein in by drinking 2 RTD 51 Protein Shakes a day that I get at Vitamine SHoppe or at 23 hour fitness. I drink sips of Water, crystal light or various other liquids all day long. I am using Soups as my two meals. Really--I am doing excellent and would love the opportunity for celebrating my new body at Disneyland.

Thanks! I just got back from my first support group meeting. AWESOME! There were two sleeve folks there, and both said they could have went as well. One was three weeks out and the other 10. I suppose it just depends on the individual.

I've already sampled several Protein drinks and found that the Jay Robb is one I really like. I'm gonna try to keep with that one after surgery.

I'm ready for my journey!

go Norma!

Twobluecats, I hope you still like the Jay Robb after surgery. So many people have said that their taste changed after surgery. Mine did not. I like everything exactly the same as I did before surgery.

Good luck! I hope everything goes well for you!

Thanks! I just got back from my first support group meeting. AWESOME! There were two sleeve folks there, and both said they could have went as well. One was three weeks out and the other 10. I suppose it just depends on the individual.

I've already sampled several Protein Drinks and found that the Jay Robb is one I really like. I'm gonna try to keep with that one after surgery.

I'm ready for my journey!

I love theJay Robb chocolate, and I mix it in 8 oz lactaid milk. I also add a splash of banana extract. Tastes great. 33 gms Protein per shake!