Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Love my VSG 15 months after!

I?ve struggled with maintaining a healthy weight since Iwas a teenager. I?ve probably lost (and regained!) 1,000 lbs. during my life. At 5?7? and my highest weight (282 lbs.), I had high blood pressure, asthma and frequent prolonged periods of excruciating osteoarthritis pain. I wasn?t able to hike or swim or do many of the recreational or social activities that I enjoy.

I knew I could lose 100 lbs again. I?d done it so many times before! BUT I WASN?T CONFIDENT I COULD KEEP IT OFF. As a former RN, I knew the health risks of being morbidly obese, but even that wasn?t enough to get me to maintain my goal weight. I did some research and discovered that extremely overweight patients who had surgery maintained a loss of 62-82.7% of their excess body weight even 10 years after surgery (depending on the type of procedure performed). Those who used diet and exercise alone averaged a loss of only 21.6% of their excess body weight. In some studies, non-surgical patients got up to 0.6% heavier during the study period. Despite the huge amount of money people spend on diets and diet books each year, few morbidly obese people manage to lose significant amounts of weight AND KEEP OFF. AND THIS IS THE CRITICAL DIFFERENCE!

I cannot recommend Dr. Alberto Aceves, his staff at the Mexicali Bariatric Center and the staff at Hospital Almater highly enough. I've been a US healthcare professional for 25 years and feel I'm a credible source for speaking about their competence and professionalism. I tell everyone you cannot buy the kind of care I received there for any amount of money in the US.

In July of 2008, I had weight loss surgery. I weighed 243.5 lbs and wore a size 22-24. One year after my weight was 155 lbs and I wore a size 8-10. After a year, I was still losing at the rate of 1 to 1-1/2 lbs. per week.

On October 1, 2009, I was 10 lbs. from goal. I'm using an Ardyss Body Magic and Angel Bra to give me a smooth, sleek figure and lift my breasts until I have plastic surgery. I've tried other body shapers, but they were either terribly uncomfortable or a total waste of money.

People ask me if I would do it again. My answer is, "I wouldn't hesitate a half second before saying ABSOLUTELY YES!"

Jane, welcome to VST. Thank you for sharing your success with our members. We don't have many longer term sleevers on here, so your input is invaluable to us. I look forward to getting to know you better and reading more on your experiences with the sleeve.

Welcome to VST.com!

Congrats on your weight loss, I know you feel awesome! I would just like to add that the body magic Ardyss is a GOD SEND to anyone who wants to make their shape looks smoother, waist smaller! I cannot say that enough, it makes me look like 2 sizes smaller! I wore a "little black dress" last weekend and it looked great (with the body magic on, of course)!

Im only about 6 weeks out and I cannot wait to be at my goal!

Keep us posted, us newbies like to hear from veterans!

When can I start wearing the Ardyss body shaper? I am 12 days post op now and still have stiches scabs. Should I wait until 6 weeks post op? That is when they say I can start exercising. I beleive in body wraps/shapers. I know for a fact it works for me.

When can I start wearing the Ardyss body shaper? I am 12 days post op now and still have stiches scabs. Should I wait until 6 weeks post op? That is when they say I can start exercising. I beleive in body wraps/shapers. I know for a fact it works for me.

Hi Carolyn,

Yes, I would wait a while- at least until you are totally pain free and at least a month out. I was about a month out when my incisions were no longer "tender". lol I didnt get clearance from my doctor to wear it, I mean its not any tighter than that abdominal binder they sent me home with. lol

But gosh, I tell you that Ardyss Body Magic does WONDERS! It makes my stomach look flat and it improves your posture, its almost unreal, I hear it was invented by a chiropractor or something like that! I am thinking about selling it one day, I am convinced that much by this! Its a great thing to wear in the interim (I eventually want a tummy tuck).

Jane welcome to VST and it's so great to have someone who has had the sleeve more than a year - I think Mac is the only other one on her to have reached her 1 year surgiversary. We will look forward to reading your stories and listening to your advice. Thanks for sharing!

I am another "oldster" with the sleeve.

I had my surgery 6/27/08. I have lost around 135 lbs and have kept if off easily for the past 4 months.

I was 52 when I had my surgery and was 263 prior to the pre-op diet. I have had no problems post op and have no problems tolerating any foods. I am eating "normally" for the first time in decades.

I am healthier than I have ever been and generally walk 6-10 miles per day (training to walk half marathon in Jan).

I don't know anything about body shapers but I am happy to share my sleeve success.

I love these posts. They keep me up when I feel like I am not losing fast enough or just generally being a screw up.

Thanks so much for sharing.

It is inspiring, because I am an older woman too, and I am so looking forward to looking that cute in my senior years. Congrats to all of you.

Welcome to VST.com!

Congrats on your weight loss, I know you feel awesome! I would just like to add that the body magic Ardyss is a GOD SEND to anyone who wants to make their shape looks smoother, waist smaller! I cannot say that enough, it makes me look like 2 sizes smaller! I wore a "little black dress" last weekend and it looked great (with the body magic on, of course)!

Im only about 6 weeks out and I cannot wait to be at my goal!

Keep us posted, us newbies like to hear from veterans!

shanda, isn't that body thingy very hot? Sounds very uncomfortable for now. . how are you doing? are you feeling better?

Awesome to read these succes story's from people who have had the surgery over a year ago. Thanks!

I will wait until a least a month out. No one wrapped me when I left. I was driving not flying. my roomate got wrapped but she was flying back to canada. Another thing, what size to order? I am losing weight so fast now, I do not know what to do?

What do you eat now a year out. I can barely get 2/3 ounce of Protein at a month post-op and I don't see how I will ever get to the 3-5 ounces I need to get to before I can eliminate the Protein Drinks. It seems impossible that I will tolerate regular food with all the belching I'm doing on pureed. I'd love to hear your diet journey over the last year.