Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey Everyone! I know Cokes and anything that is carbonated we have been told that we can NEVER drink again right? I was thinking yeah, but maybe after I'm healed a little bit here or there wouldn't hurt right? I have read about other people that have had a little bit and didn't bother them.

Well, I am finally cured from all carbonated beverages. My mom was talking to a doctor friend of ours and he was wanting her to know how serious the decision I was making to have the sleeve was and how I need to follow all directions and take care of myself. He was telling her that he helped assist on a WLS, not sure which one this lady had and afterwards I'm not sure how long it was, but she drunk a COKE! :w00t: And... her stomach exploded and she died... :001_tt2:

So, for me and any of you that are tempted to have a soft drink from time to time we just need to remember this story. I'm sure I won't be tempted anymore... It's just NOT worth it! :svengo:

I've drank 2 sodas post-op. Grant it, it took me an entire 14 hours to drink it and I drank Water in between all day as well, but I had zero side effects from drinking it except a little belch here and there. I just sipped on it here and there, admitted it to my surgeon, and he told me that I just consumed empty calories, and to not make it a habit again. I also drank a soda here and there with my band, and had zero issues.

My friend had bypass 5 years ago, and drinks soda every day of her life. She has zero side effects as well, and she weighs a mere 108lbs.

I'm not sure exploding stomach could really happen unless that patient consumed a soda real fast too soon after surgery, and her body had not healed properly. I'm not discrediting what the surgeon is saying, but it just doesn't sound "right" in my mind.

I steer clear of soda just because it's wasted calories.

I've drank 2 sodas post-op. Grant it, it took me an entire 14 hours to drink it and I drank Water in between all day as well, but I had zero side effects from drinking it except a little belch here and there. I just sipped on it here and there, admitted it to my surgeon, and he told me that I just consumed empty calories, and to not make it a habit again. I also drank a soda here and there with my band, and had zero issues.

My friend had bypass 5 years ago, and drinks soda every day of her life. She has zero side effects as well, and she weighs a mere 108lbs.

I'm not sure exploding stomach could really happen unless that patient consumed a soda real fast too soon after surgery, and her body had not healed properly. I'm not discrediting what the surgeon is saying, but it just doesn't sound "right" in my mind.

I steer clear of soda just because it's wasted calories.

That could have been what happened. She might have drank it really quick and it could have been right after surgery. Not sure. Anyways I just know I don't need them and like you said they are just empty calories.

That could have been what happened. She might have drank it really quick and it could have been right after surgery. Not sure. Anyways I just know I don't need them and like you said they are just empty calories.

yeah, i think that was what might have happened. . . i know if I'm really thirsty and a coke is near by and i drink it all (I'm not sleeved) my belly gets really bloated and uncomfortable. . with hugh belches to follow. . . so if you have a tiny little tummy with staples I can imagine it "breaking" and spilling into the cavity causing a lot of horrid results. . ie death. . . :001_tt2: I don't think I'll be touching cokes after I'm sleeved. . . I hardly drink them now anyhow. . . it's going to be the rum and coke that I'll miss a lot:drool5:. . . but I guess that too shall pass. . . .

I drank a small amount of a flat diet coke the other day. Ugh. My stomach was not happy about all that acid and it tasted terrible.

That kinda sounds like an urban myth....

Alot of the reasons the doctors don't want us drinking anything crbonated is that it stretches the stomach..... and we don't want that do we??

I've posted before that I have an addictive personality, that I steer away from my "trigger" foods, It wasn't unusuall for me to drink a 12 pack of diet coke in 2 days...... havn't had one since Dec. and I don't miss it and don't think Ill go back. I've learned never to say never...... but thats my plan.

I have NIGHTMARES about drinking diet dr pepper...and that my stomach explodes. HAHA! I wake up all scared. Haven't tried a soda since surgery, but my Dr. said it would probably just be uncomfortable. I was talking to him specifically about beer, but I'm assuming that would apply to sodas too.

I drank champagne and forgot that it would be included in the no-nos, same as soda. Nothing bad happened, but I only had 4 oz. So, of course, knowing me, I had to push the envelope and have 1/2 a diet 7up yesterday. Well, it's not something I want to get back into, cause just like Chancie, I could drink a 6 pack of diet Pepsi before the surgery. And, it made my stomach uncomfortable anyway.

That kinda sounds like an urban myth....

Alot of the reasons the doctors don't want us drinking anything crbonated is that it stretches the stomach..... and we don't want that do we??

I've posted before that I have an addictive personality, that I steer away from my "trigger" foods, It wasn't unusuall for me to drink a 12 pack of diet coke in 2 days...... havn't had one since Dec. and I don't miss it and don't think Ill go back. I've learned never to say never...... but thats my plan.

Wow Chancie, you have come a very long way! I'm so proud of you and of all the other people here. . . that is a lot of coke! I had a weekend where I actually started doubting myself and would I actually be able to do this sleeve thingy. . would I just be wasting my money? What happened was that it was a boring weekend and when it's boring I eat, and eat, and eat. . .not the inbetween Snacks but the meals! I sit down for Breakfast and eat! then nothing again for a while til about 4pm, sit down and eat! I mean I don't just eat the meal, it goes on for ever. . . :lol0: get me started and I don't stop. . . not junk food neither (I'm not a junk food person), good old food! ham, eggs, cheese, Beans, meats, etc. . . same with drinking stuff. . . my hubbie always laughs and says "girl you don't need to breath when you drink stuff do you?" It's true, it can be a whole 60oz and if it's yummy I don't stop drinking it until it's all gone. . yup in one swig!:lol0: so this weekend was boring and it made me think too much. . . oh well. . . life goes on huh???? So embarrassing :sad0:, but I'm sure everyone has heard it before!

Thin - you will find that you don't want to eat and eat and eat -- as you lose weight, the way you feel gets better and better and you have more energy and you want to keep the weight loss going so you find healthy things to do - walking, bike riding, exercising, etc., when you're bored! Plus the fact that you aren't a junk food junkie and eat mostly healthy - just too much of it - will help alot as you can still eat those things, just not as much of it. In the past 9 years I was never a junk food junkie either - ate very healthy and didn't even eat that much - but couldn't lose the weight -- so having the sleeve isn't that difficult for me as I can still eat what I was eating before, just smaller quantities. Occassionally head hunger gets in the way, but I deal with it and move on - you'll do okay - QUIT doubting yourself!

Thin - you will find that you don't want to eat and eat and eat -- as you lose weight, the way you feel gets better and better and you have more energy and you want to keep the weight loss going so you find healthy things to do - walking, bike riding, exercising, etc., when you're bored! Plus the fact that you aren't a junk food junkie and eat mostly healthy - just too much of it - will help alot as you can still eat those things, just not as much of it. In the past 9 years I was never a junk food junkie either - ate very healthy and didn't even eat that much - but couldn't lose the weight -- so having the sleeve isn't that difficult for me as I can still eat what I was eating before, just smaller quantities. Occassionally head hunger gets in the way, but I deal with it and move on - you'll do okay - QUIT doubting yourself!

Thank you VA, hearing your side makes me feel better. . . I guess we all get those weirdo days. . .doubting myself is one habit I definately have to break and soon . . . it's a habit which has been installed in me for a very very long time and it's time to break away. . . I broke away from my deep depression, I can do this one too. . . Thank God for all of you! You are my internet "family" without ya'll it would be very hard. . . thanks again! ((()))) hugs:001_wub:

Thin-

When you wrote about drinking all in one swig....... THAT was me TOO! I could suck the bottom outta a beer in no time flat! A 2 liter of coke was nothing to be gone QUICKLY!

That was one of my biggest concerns prior to surgery..... can I "Sip"? Yes.......I CAN!! And I wasn't all too crazy about Water, but now, if I don't have one in my hands I feel like something is "missing" LOL I always make sure I have one when I drive, and I drink so much water ( with crystal light in it ) I usually pack 2.

You will get the hang of it, just like me and all the others have.

I don't know if you read my story at all, but I had doubts too, and researched for 3 years, not wanting to spend the money, but ended up being a self pay and now wish I had done it 10 years ago!

You'll do just fine!!!

He was telling her that he helped assist on a WLS, not sure which one this lady had and afterwards I'm not sure how long it was, but she drunk a COKE! :w00t: And... her stomach exploded and she died... :cursing:

I don't believe it.

Now, if she had a coke within the first two weeks, she might have developed a leak and people sometimes die from leaks, but there is no way her stomach exploded no matter what she drank, how fast she drank or how much she drank.

Thin-

When you wrote about drinking all in one swig....... THAT was me TOO! I could suck the bottom outta a beer in no time flat! A 2 liter of coke was nothing to be gone QUICKLY!

That was one of my biggest concerns prior to surgery..... can I "Sip"? Yes.......I CAN!! And I wasn't all too crazy about Water, but now, if I don't have one in my hands I feel like something is "missing" LOL I always make sure I have one when I drive, and I drink so much Water ( with crystal light in it ) I usually pack 2.

You will get the hang of it, just like me and all the others have.

I don't know if you read my story at all, but I had doubts too, and researched for 3 years, not wanting to spend the money, but ended up being a self pay and now wish I had done it 10 years ago!

You'll do just fine!!!

Thank you Chancie for your understanding. . I love to drink everything from water to cokes to juices. . . I'll "learn" to be a lady :drool5: