Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

reflux in my sleep-help

Hi all, I'm 16 days out, and just yesterday I got a precription for Prilosec 20 ml. twice a day. Oddly enough I am having acid reflux in my sleep! I had to prop my pillows behind my back last night and sleep in a near sitting position. Does anyone have any suggestions? could this be from maybe eating a soft food like cottage cheese too soon? Why didn't the prilosec work? I don't sleep very well in a normal bed in a semi sitting position, that was easier to do with the hospital bed. Any advise is welcome.

Lan - give the prilosec time to work. Also do not EAT or DRINK ANYTHING for at least 3 hours before bedtime. I am sure it has nothing to do with eating the cottage cheese or any other soft mushies you are eating.

It also may be that the Prilosec may not work for you - I was taking Nexxium, which worked great; however my insurance no longer covers it and now I am on Prilosec - I find that it does not work nearly as well as the Nexxium and that I need to take Zantac (2 OTC) along with it most days to avoid acid reflux.

I agree with Vegas. Give the Prilosec time to work. Don't eat or drink before bed. If that doesn't work, you may need a different medication.

Lan2K

I had the same thing happen to me the first night home. It is no fun.

I received some advice right away from Dr Aceves' office, and it was helpful.

I was already taking nexium, and sleep on a wedge pillow but still woke up with a mouth full of Isopure (nasty stuff and that may have been the whole problem for me). I had taken some Isopure 2-3 hours before going to bed that first night I got home from Mexicali. Now I am very careful to avoid it, only take broth or sobe lifewater in the evening so my tummy is "happy" and wait 4 hours after drinking before Iie down. That seems to have stopped it...no more reflux.

Thanks for all the tips. I did drink warm chicken broth last night shortly before going to bed. I hope the prilosec works and I am going to stop drinking anything besides maybe sips of Water? a few hours before going to bed. I sure hope it doesn't happen again.

I take Protonix. It comes in generic so it's

pretty cheap, with my ins. It prevents acid from forming.

You know I remember you telling us this and I got a prescription for Protonix from my surgeon. I had a precription for prilosec too. My insurance co. wouldn't cover the Protonix and the pharmacist said I'd have to pay out of pocket approx $750.00!!!!!!!!! They did cover the generic prilosec tho..hmmmm somethings not right here. Why not approve the generic?? I'll have to check into this. thanks.

When I was prescribed Prilosec, it took about 10-14 days for it to kick in and truly work. During that time, for any break through acid issues, I took a Pepcid Complete. They are chewable, and worked great.

I took them together, and my surgeon also suggested I try some Tums if necessary. The Pepcid Complete worked so much better over the Tums.

Thanks for all the tips. I did drink warm chicken broth last night shortly before going to bed. I hope the prilosec works and I am going to stop drinking anything besides maybe sips of Water? a few hours before going to bed. I sure hope it doesn't happen again.

Even Water can come back up. Best to have an empty sleeve when horizontal!

I take protonix. It is covered by my insurance but it is a tier 2 copay ($35). Nexium is not covered. My doctor would not approve taking anything else in between the protonix doses as he said it was counter productive. I do still have serious bouts with reflux about every other night. Since I have a feeding tube that goes into my lower bowel I don't know what the substance is that comes up through my esophagus. All I know is it is nasty and burns like hell. I generally throw it up and it is brown in color. I have been off the feeding tube for 2 days so I'll see what happens and what comes up now.

P. S. I sleep in a recliner. I have found that it is worse on night that I recline all the way back versus semi upright.

Thank you for sharing your personal details. I am wondering why you had to have a feeding tube, was it due to the reflux? I sure hope things calm down for you.

It takes about a week for prilosec to work for me.

Different people respond differently to these drugs so sometimes you have to try different ones. I've been lucky with the prilosec, but it does take a while to kick in.