Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Introduction and Concerns

I am in Oregon which is not far from Northern CA and I flew to San Diego where Ernesto picked me up at the Comfort Inn. I had no trouble what so ever flying home and driving the two hours from

the airport to my home, when I was released from the hospital. I am really glad I chose Dr. Aceves. The entire experience was wonderful, and I had so much confidence in him.

I got the lapband Sept 2004. Around December 2005 I started having pain issues in my body and by May 2006, I was a total mess. I've spent the last few years in severe daily chronic pain and taking oxycontin and still not having relief. I had a team of 6 doctors and lots of loving friends and family and no one could figure out what was wrong with me.

9 months ago I figured it out. My body rejected the lapband.. not slippage, erosion, or psychological intolerance.. true full-on rejection which is pretty rare.

I'm being revised to VSG on Friday and I cannot wait for my new life to begin. Yes, what happened to me is rare, but all the other problems are WAY TOO COMMON.

You're the only one who can make the decision for you. Do your research and make the best choice for yourself, but please remember my story in case you need to know it later. *hugs*

I m starting to freak out. I have 2 weeks till surgery and I am afraid I haven't done well with my pre-op diet! Does anyone have any last minute advice? I am worried my liver didn't shrink enough to make the surgery go smoothly.....

I m starting to freak out. I have 2 weeks till surgery and I am afraid I haven't done well with my pre-op diet! Does anyone have any last minute advice? I am worried my liver didn't shrink enough to make the surgery go smoothly.....

You've got 2 weeks - get on it and STAY on it -- my doc had me do the pre-op for 2 weeks so you have enough time to make a difference -- the choice is up to you -- how important is this surgery to you? Enough to stick with the pre-op for the next 2 weeks to ensure your liver isn't too fatty? Your choice. You control what you put in your mouth! Two weeks is long enough to make a difference.

I remember the OR Nurse wrapping gauze around my legs when I got to the OR, but guess I was asleep when they put the alternating pressure leggings on...I don't remember any of that, or any of the time in recovery room. When I woke up, I was in my room. Basically in la la land for a while...

I think that I did walk some that first evening...can't remember for sure.

I liked that Dr Aceves orders toradol most of the time for pain control. Druggy drugs make me feel like my brain is not attached to my body...really wierd and I don't like that feeling. I think they gave me Clonidine at least one time, and I was in a "brain fog". Ernesto came into my room to say he would be picking me up at 7 AM the next day for the drive to the airport and I said "and who are you?". I can laugh at it now, but it is really a wierd feeling. It still makes me wonder how drug addicts can think it feels so good.

The bottom line is, I received really good pain control which makes recovery so much easier.

I loved my band till I was pregnant the second time with it. I just get to much morning sickness for it to be compatible with me.

I flew a lot with it.....never really had too many problems with it cause of flights. But I did have the " varying day thing" Some days really ltight others not. My sleve does that too......But no where near as finiky as the band..

But I will say....today I got to eat a salad!!!!!!!!!!! I never realized how much I missed them.....never could eat them with the band. (except the blue cheese pecan one from outback....so shredded....I used to call it prechewed!....would last me three days) But my sleve lets me eat a walnut craisin vinegrette one!!!!!!!!!!! It was amazing!