Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New and looking for help

Hi, everyone, I'm new here and I'm looking for help/advice. I've been research WLS for some time now and have been thinking the sleeve is right for me (the complicaitons of lap band and RNY scare me too much), but I didn't think my insurance would cover it, so I'd sort of given up on the idea. But I found out yesterday that they will cover it (with some hoops, of course), so now I am looking for more information. I'm in Southeastern NC, but the closest doc I can find is in Charlotte, 200 miles away. So if anyone know anyone any closer (I'd like to be a little closer for after care), I'd love to know about it.

Also, is anyone out there 5 years or more post-op? If so, what has your experience been like? Any complications? Tips/advice?

I too had some of the same concerns about the band and RNY as you did which is why I opted for the sleeve. I was self-pay so I could have chose any procedure and knew the sleeve was the best option for me.

I did not want any procedure with malabsorbtion. Although it works fine for many folks the friends I know that had problems related to malabsorbtion had major health problems despite doing everything "by the book". The risk was not worth it to me.

The band also had too many risks for me such as erosion, slippage, ports flipping and the "art not science" of finding the "perfect" fill amount to give enough but not too much restriction. Again I know many who have been hugely successful with the band but for me the risks did not outweigh the benefits.

I had the sleeve about 15 mos ago. I have had NO problems post op. Had surgery on Friday, out of the hospital on Sunday and back home on Monday. I needed no pain meds once I left the hospital. I have had no problems with reflux, lactose intolerance, GERD etc that many experience.

I have lost 135 lbs, went from size 28 to 6 petite and have been off all blood pressure meds and no longer need CPAP machine since about a month post op.

I can eat anything I choose albeit in normal portions. I get full faster and stay full longer which allows me to easily maintain my loss.

I do not have a diet mentality and do not feel deprived. I am heating like a normal person and making healthy choices.

Do I struggle sometimes , yes I do because the surgery makes is much easier to make good choices but the responsibility is still on me.

Good luck on this amazing journey

wow Phoenixrising, thank you for that answer. you have helped me make my own personal decision. For the lady in N.C. go the 200 miles. you will not need follow up care with the sleeve. find a nutritionist close to home. From all I have read, With the sleeve a good nutritionist is a God send. I am going to find one that has knowledge in the barriatrict field. Once you get the hang of eating right for your body, it should be simple.

wow Phoenixrising, thank you for that answer. you have helped me make my own personal decision. For the lady in N.C. go the 200 miles. you will not need follow up care with the sleeve. find a nutritionist close to home. From all I have read, With the sleeve a good nutritionist is a God send. I am going to find one that has knowledge in the barriatrict field. Once you get the hang of eating right for your body, it should be simple.

I hadn't really thought about not needing so much after care. There are just so many stories out there about problems/issues with the band and bypass!

Thanks, both of you for your input! And good luck, Carolyn!

I hadn't really thought about not needing so much after care. There are just so many stories out there about problems/issues with the band and bypass!

Thanks, both of you for your input! And good luck, Carolyn!

The only after care you really need is a barium swallow at 3 months and blood work - and your PCP can take care of that for you. I talked to my PCP before the sleeve (I had my done in Mexicali) and he agreed to continue any aftercare for me afterwards. 200 miles is not all that far to travel if the surgeon is experienced in sleeve surgeries.

Talk to your PCP about doing any aftercare needed. My PCP will be doing my labs in a few weeks. I had my surgery in MX...made sure before hand that my PCP would be supportive & take care of the labs post-op. Make sure you research your choice of surgeons & feel comfortable with him/her.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing your updates along your WLS journey! :biggrin0:

I just wanted to add that if your PCP is not supportive of your decision then find a new one that will be supportive. Your doctor's job is to take care of you as they find you, so if you are sleeved then they need to take care of you like a sleeve patient needs to be cared for. Labs and all.

I think the bypass is good for those that cannot resist sugar/refined carbs, because you cannot absorb them and they go right through you. But, over time, the body can adapt, and then you can't depend on dumping to get rid of the calories. As for the band, I am totally against that after reading too many stories of slippage, damage to the stomach, and that they really aren't reversible as advertised. So, that leaves the VG. I am happy with it, even though I still have *head* hunger at times. I really think it is the way to go.

I just wanted to add that if your PCP is not supportive of your decision then find a new one that will be supportive. Your doctor's job is to take care of you as they find you, so if you are sleeved then they need to take care of you like a sleeve patient needs to be cared for. Labs and all.

Funny you should say that. When I fist went to my PCP to talk about WLS in general, she didn't say anything about it at all. He nurse was very encouraging, but the doctor just said, "oh, you'll be needing a letter for your insurance then." And that was it. She is usually very, well, pushy about things, so I didn't even ask her if she had any opinion, figuring she'd never held back before, so if she had something to say, she'd have said it. Anyway, I think I'll be shopping for a new PCP!

I think the bypass is good for those that cannot resist sugar/refined carbs, because you cannot absorb them and they go right through you. But, over time, the body can adapt, and then you can't depend on dumping to get rid of the calories.

I think you're probably right, but with any surgery, you have to learn to eat right and manage the head hunger or it can fail, whether or not you have malabsorption. My father had something like the duodenal switch and he's about 100 pounds overweight now because he never changed his eating habits - bread, cake, liquor...nothing's off limits and the portion sizes are out of control.

Funny you should say that. When I fist went to my PCP to talk about WLS in general, she didn't say anything about it at all. He nurse was very encouraging, but the doctor just said, "oh, you'll be needing a letter for your insurance then." And that was it. She is usually very, well, pushy about things, so I didn't even ask her if she had any opinion, figuring she'd never held back before, so if she had something to say, she'd have said it. Anyway, I think I'll be shopping for a new PCP!

Yeah I would say you need a new PCP. Let me tell ya a story:

I had this feeling my PCP did not want any fat patients. I watched and I was the only one that was weighed at every appointment. When she would come in she would start talking about my weight before even knowing what my problem was. I understand my weight was causing problems but come on and at least give me treatment options for my knees hurting not just tell me to lose weight. Soon every answer was lose weight.

I went on the hunt for a new PCP. My husband had been assigned one through the Navy so I gave her a try. At the end of the first appointment she scooted close to me and knee to knee she said "I don't want to offend you but have you ever thought of having bariatric surgery". I said "No I didn't think I qualified" She said "Oh you qualify, do you want a referral?" I said "Yup" Thus started my journey. If I would not have found that wonderful doctor I would still be struggling to lose weight and hating myself.

You deserve a doctor who is excited about taking you as a patient because you want to be healthy! Maybe you can do a search for bariatric friendly doctors or when you call the doctors office ask the receptionist if they have patients that have had bariatric surgery and you might be a new patient. Her reaction should be a good judge of how the doctor feels about WLS.