Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

don't make this mistake

Lol, Helen, we'd better not tell em what the rest of the world says about American food! Or the coffee over there.

Actually my MIL is English and she cant cook at all. Bland, starchy and yuck. However, I suspect its more her than the fact that she's English, she's rather bland, starchy and yuck herself (ooh, miaow, dont let DH read that). She drives me freaking nuts with her whining about whatever I cook when they come here, too spicy, its got bones, upsets her stomach, blah blah blah.

Granola is muesli here. But said m-yoosli, not moosli, that drives me crazy!

Biscuits are Cookies - jsut little ones that you'd buy in a packet in the supermarket. Cookies are bigger, same thing but more often speciality or deli items. What you guys call a biscuit, we'd probably call a scone, although there's no exact equivalent. but you dont have crumpets. mmmmmmmm, crumpets with butter and honey.

A sausage is something in a casing, of decent quality, that you'd cook on the barbecue, not little bits of Breakfast meat. Lamb and rosemary sausages for example. Bangers and mash!

Edited by Jachut

MacMadame - how can you say that UK food is fatty and starchy when we are most famous for fish and chips??? lol, lol and more lol!!!!

Hehehe! just got back from Panama where there is a strong USA influence. I *need* bread that is not sugar coated. Everything is too sweet in the USA for my UK tastebuds.

Helen, you forgot the other *national* dish, chicken Tikka Massala. That's just chokka with fats but not so bland as fish in batter and soggy chips:tongue_smilie:

food wars!!! :tongue_smilie:

Lol, Helen, we'd better not tell em what the rest of the world says about American food! Or the coffee over there.

Actually my MIL is English and she cant cook at all. Bland, starchy and yuck. However, I suspect its more her than the fact that she's English, she's rather bland, starchy and yuck herself (ooh, miaow, dont let DH read that). She drives me freaking nuts with her whining about whatever I cook when they come here, too spicy, its got bones, upsets her stomach, blah blah blah.

Granola is muesli here. But said m-yoosli, not moosli, that drives me crazy!

Biscuits are Cookies - jsut little ones that you'd buy in a packet in the supermarket. Cookies are bigger, same thing but more often speciality or deli items. What you guys call a biscuit, we'd probably call a scone, although there's no exact equivalent. but you dont have crumpets. mmmmmmmm, crumpets with butter and honey.

A sausage is something in a casing, of decent quality, that you'd cook on the barbecue, not little bits of Breakfast meat. Lamb and rosemary sausages for example. Bangers and mash!

Hi Jachut,

Is your MIL one of those Brits who starts cooking the veg when she puts the meat in the oven for a Sunday roast? I must say she sounds a like a royal pain in the bum. Is that why you live on the opposite side of the planet from her?

I was talking to someone the other day about British food being bland...can't remember all the conversation now, but I suppose it was years ago when it was all meat and two veg. It's only in the last twenty years or so that we have become a bit more adventurous. I cannot pass comment on food from anywhere other than Europe as that's all I have sampled, apart from Chinese/Indian/Thai takeaways and McDonalds etc. lol! I'm not into all that muesli/granola type Cereal stuff though - it's more useful in birdcages!

If you think British food is bland, you should try the food in New Zealand. I thought English, Irish, and Scottish food was bland, but the kiwis give new meaning to the word!

Beautiful, beautiful scenery, though.

Hi Jachut,

Is your MIL one of those Brits who starts cooking the veg when she puts the meat in the oven for a Sunday roast? I must say she sounds a like a royal pain in the bum. Is that why you live on the opposite side of the planet from her?

Yup, she's one of those. But she lives only a few suburbs away.

Grits are mushed up hominy and usually eaten like a hot cereal similar to how oatmeal or cream of wheat is eaten. I think grits are quite disgusting.

I've never heard anything negative about food from the UK.

My husband loves grits. I am from the north although I have lived in Florida the majority of my life so I think the yankee in me doesn't like them as much as the rebel in him does. Grits are not eaten like cereal they are cooked to a fairly thick consistantcy and served with butter/magarine added. Some people put a fried egg on them and eat them together.

I love oatmeal and do eat it like cereal (sweetened, butter, milk). I do not like cream of wheat which I think is a northern food but I guess my Mother never introduced me to it as a child. I think it may not have been readily available here in Florida when I was a child.

Anyone else want to clarify "grits"....lol?????

I LOVE grits! But I am a Southern gal. :lol0: I eat mine with a little butter & salt. I don't like them sweet. They go great with some turkey bacon & scrambled eggs. :mad:

I LOVE grits! But I am a Southern gal. :lol0: I eat mine with a little butter & salt. I don't like them sweet. They go great with some turkey bacon & scrambled eggs. :mad:

Sure Jenn, if you say so. I've tried them a few times and have just never been able to develop a taste for them; no matter how they are fixed.

Sure Jenn, if you say so. I've tried them a few times and have just never been able to develop a taste for them; no matter how they are fixed.

Me either. I've had them prepared several different ways, and none of them were pleasant.

Hum....I"m a southerner, Deep South U.S. Grits are a staple in my neck of the woods. Grits are sort of like oatmeal, but made of ground hominy or corn. You cook them in Water until smooth and cream like "cream of wheat". You add butter, salt and pepper to taste. They are more gritty than oatmeal or cream of wheat, hence "GRITS". You eat them with scambled eggs, bisquits, or by the bowl. I love them. You can also put cheese in them. Unlike oatmeal or cream of wheat they are not meant to be sweetened. But flavored like a baked potato. Hope that explains GRITS to you.

On Easter we have a tradition at one of my brothers', he cooks grits and griades for brunch...(not sure how to spell that), but it's buttered grits covered with rich strips of very tender liver or venison or other wild game meat, in a hearty, dark brown gravy. It is delicious and totally not on a VSG diet I am sure.