Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

High Protein Vegan/Vegetarian Options for Us

I have a friend who is vegan, and I went to her because I am having trouble #1 getting in my Protein, #2 tolerating a lot of meat.

My body right now does not like cheese or eggs, so my options for protein from food sources has been cut in half practically.

Anyways, she shared with me a lot of options that are chalked full of protein. About 20 grams per 3-4 oz. She told me that this tempeh and seitan are both easily digested, and taste great. There are millions of recipes out there to add variety, and I'm excited to try some. She has been vegan for years, and has this stuff down to a science practically. She even converted her Army "meat/potato" husband to vegan by using these recipes.

I haven't personally tried any of these because I have to go to Whole Foods which is an hour away. I'm hoping to go tomorrow with my list of necessities for some of these recipes.

Beans, rinsed

1 cup broth

1 Tbsp olive oil

2 Tbsp soy sauce

2 garlic cloves, grated or finely minced

1 1/4 cups vital wheat gluten

1/4 cup nutritional yeast

2 tsp fennel seeds, crushed

1 tsp red pepper flakes

1 tsp dried oregano

a few dashes of black pepper

Before mixing ingredients get steaming apparatus ready and start bringing Water to boil.

Have four sheets of tinfoil ready.

In a large bowl, mash the beans until there are no whole pieces left. Throw the other ingredients together, in the order listed, and mix with a fork.

Divide the dough into 4 even parts.

Place one part of dough onto tin foil and mold into a 5 inch log.

Wrap the dough in the tin foil, like a Tootsie Roll (don't worry about it being shaped perfectly, it'll shape itself while steaming).

Placed wrapped sausages in steamer and steam for 40 minutes.

You can eat immediately, refrigerate, or freeze.

They can be sliced and sauteed or even grilled whole.

There are two variations of this:

Cherry Sage

add 1 tsp liquid smoke (easy to find at a regular grocery store)

instead of the spices listed above (from fennel to the pepper) use 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp dry rubbed sage, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp allspice, 1/8 tsp cloves, fresh pepper and 1/2 cup chopped dried cherries.

Chorizo

sub navy beans with pinto beans

add 2 Tbsp Tomato paste and 2 tsp lemon zest

instead of the spices listed above (from fennel to the pepper) use 1 Tbsp smoked paprika, 1 tsp crushed red pepper, 1 Tbsp dry rubbed sage, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)

The cooking directions are the same for all.

The nutrition information for the Italian Feast Sausage is for 1/2 a sausage:

Calories135.3download?mid=1%5f652174%5fAGazo0IAAQHYSpwLHwTw1XtwmX4&pid=2.2&fid=Sent&inline=1 Total Fat2.2 gdownload?mid=1%5f652174%5fAGazo0IAAQHYSpwLHwTw1XtwmX4&pid=2.3&fid=Sent&inline=1 Saturated Fat0.3 gdownload?mid=1%5f652174%5fAGazo0IAAQHYSpwLHwTw1XtwmX4&pid=2.4&fid=Sent&inline=1 Polyunsaturated Fat0.2 gdownload?mid=1%5f652174%5fAGazo0IAAQHYSpwLHwTw1XtwmX4&pid=2.5&fid=Sent&inline=1 Monounsaturated Fat1.4 gdownload?mid=1%5f652174%5fAGazo0IAAQHYSpwLHwTw1XtwmX4&pid=2.6&fid=Sent&inline=1 Cholesterol0.0 mgdownload?mid=1%5f652174%5fAGazo0IAAQHYSpwLHwTw1XtwmX4&pid=2.7&fid=Sent&inline=1 Sodium423.7 mgdownload?mid=1%5f652174%5fAGazo0IAAQHYSpwLHwTw1XtwmX4&pid=2.8&fid=Sent&inline=1 Potassium164.3 mgdownload?mid=1%5f652174%5fAGazo0IAAQHYSpwLHwTw1XtwmX4&pid=2.9&fid=Sent&inline=1 Total Carbohydrate11.9 gdownload?mid=1%5f652174%5fAGazo0IAAQHYSpwLHwTw1XtwmX4&pid=2.10&fid=Sent&inline=1 Dietary Fiber4.3 gdownload?mid=1%5f652174%5fAGazo0IAAQHYSpwLHwTw1XtwmX4&pid=2.11&fid=Sent&inline=1 Sugars0.3 gdownload?mid=1%5f652174%5fAGazo0IAAQHYSpwLHwTw1XtwmX4&pid=2.12&fid=Sent&inline=1 Protein19.9 g

A blog whose recipes I have made in the past posted this recipe the other day, that would easily use store-bought seitan: chicken style seitan to "veal" and "pork chops". Still, some recipes you may like: Breakfast sausages and canadian bacon.

I think you should look into tempeh too. The brand that I buy is about 20g of protein for 4oz. I know that is the max that you can eat, but you could always just have three ounces, and then something else for the extra ounce?

Anyway, something like this might work well: Maple Grilled Tempeh Recipe - 101 Cookbooks

thank you so much for posting this it is going to be so helpful when i am on solids. i am really picky on and off type person. i love something one day and sick of it the next plus i get bored easily.

This looks interesting. I will definitely take a look at it tonight after work.

Hey Tiffy, I know you posted this a long time ago, but after reading one of the other more recent posts where you mentioned seitan and tempeh, I had to search for this one again! Told the boy we're gonna give it a try. I'm looking forward to it & excited that I may have found another great Protein source for my arsenal. Thanks for the linkage! :blush:

Hey Tiffy, I know you posted this a long time ago, but after reading one of the other more recent posts where you mentioned seitan and tempeh, I had to search for this one again! Told the boy we're gonna give it a try. I'm looking forward to it & excited that I may have found another great Protein source for my arsenal. Thanks for the linkage! :thumbup:

You betcha. I preferred the seitan over tempeh, but that's probably just my personal tastes.

I really wish I could convert my meat and potato husband over. But, I feel a bit better with us eating more turkey, chicken, and some bison (when I can find it). I love steak, and we eat it a couple times a week, and I can't bring myself to give it up. But, this is a good option for those that can't tolerate dense meats or prefer to have some variety in their Protein sources.

Yeah, I don't see us ever converting over to vegetarian, but I like the options! Since I grew up in the midwest, I'm a HUGE pork fan. And I like the occasional no-meat meal, but I don't think I could go without chicken, pork, and venison forever. Not too big on steak, though.:001_tongue:

I saw this Kung Pao Tofu | Eating Well earlier today and it looks so good! Needless to say, growing up on a sheep farm, my family didn't have much use for tofu, tempeh, or seitan. :thumbup: Lol! Thanks for the variety, or I'm sure I never would have tried these! Getting myself & the fiance out of our food comfort-zone onto new things. :thumbup1:

The thing to keep in mind with Seitan and with Tofu is that it soaks up whatever is around it. So if you have a really tasty sauce or marinade, let your seitan/tofu marinade well in it and you'll have a yummy Protein source!

I tried quoran sp? chicken today and it was so yummy! I can't eat real chicken but that tasted delicious. And only a small amount was a pretty good Protein source.

I tried quoran sp? chicken today and it was so yummy! I can't eat real chicken but that tasted delicious. And only a small amount was a pretty good Protein source.

Mmm, I love Quorn products!!

I was looking for a vegetarian thread here and saw Tiffy's list. I got Alicia Silverstone's new book The Kind Diet and I want to try again to limit my meat and dairy. I know I will have to concentrate on the Protein and still have my whey Protein Shakes, (they really help control hunger for me), but needed to hear from other sleevers that are vegan. I switched to vegan last year and lost weight and felt great! I was not a full vegan but only had fish, soy milk instead of milk and cheeses. Publix had some good selections but know I will have to get more creative with recipes if I want to stay on it. I loved that the book had three different levels to try and didn't have to jump right in with the strict guidelines, like "flirting" to full vegan. My main reason is the method of killing our animals with no respect for them and expect that meat to nourish our bodies. Then there is the issue of hormones and antibiotics which we and our children do not need. It is a small thing I can do.

Thanks again Tiffy for the links.