Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My experience for you newbies

Reading stories on here helped me soooo much I thought I would do so on return. Had surgery THurs., Aug. 13th.

My doctor required a 10-14 day liquied diet, if you have the option go for 10, why torture yourself an extra 4 days if you don't have to. I did great with the pre-op until about the 11th or 12th day then I was afraid to cheat because it might mess up the surgery. It was horrible!

The night before surgery I was told to drink a bottle of mag citrate to "clean everything out". Nothing really happened that night which I didn't think much about because after all, I'd been on all liquids for 2 weeks. The next morning on the way to the hospital though, it decided to kick in. Ugh!

I had bought of (sorry) explosive diarrhea. Luckily that didn't take long.

Next they took me back, did vitals, changed into the gown, brought me socks (what a great thing, PACK THICK SOCKS!) and rolled me into the holding area. Talked with all the nurses, anesthesia personel and the doctor for any last min. questions. They said the catheter and intubation would take place after being put to sleep. The next thing I remeber was waking up in the recovery area, freezing and hurting! A shot of moraphine and then the next thing I remeber was being rolled into a room with my husband. The nurse handed me the moraphine pump and life was good.

Four hours later the nurse woke me up and said "time to walk". I just knew I was dreaming. Rolling out of that bed, OUCH! The walk to the door was like running a marathon. At that point I started thinking "what have I done?"

Day 2 Still very groggy and now itchy, ALL OVER! I apparantley dreamed that I told the nurse because no one remebered me telling them. My husband either. By 8 am it was time to walk again. THe second hardest time I've ever had trying to get out of a bed. Made it half way down the hall. Heeved many times from horrible nausea. (that felt great on the ole' stomach) The doctor came by an hour later and decided still nothing by mouth for one more day, just to be safe. My mouth was SOOO dry. THank goodness, I had packed the chap stick. Decided the best way to heal was rest so everytime I even felt conscience that night I hit the pain pump.

Day 3 What a difference a day makes! Nause gone. Walked all the way down the hall like 5 times. Finally got something by mouth. Now I know what everyone meant about things tasting too sweet. I've always loved "sweet" tasting. The crystal light was gagging me. Then came the crushed pills in the mushed up popsicle. Oh, MY! yuck:crying: Whose bright idea was that???

I finally actually told them about the itching and so the moraphine stopped that morning. I think I only took pain meds twice that day.

Day 4 Feeling like a new woman, waiting for the on-call doc to show up and release me, as it is Sunday. So to kill the time I walked, rested, walked somemore. Still very sore. Then the gas pains kicked in. WOW! It felt like somebody was stabbing me with a knife. Finally went home late Sunday afternoon. Personally I thought the gas-x strips and the heating pad helped the best.

Day 5 (today) Kind of a rough night sleeping. Couldn't get comfortable lying on my back so sat up on my couch and "slept". The worst of the pain is from this drain. The rest of my inscisions are just sore. Anybody else have issues with the drain? Thank goodness, it comes out Thurs. Love the broth and very diluted Crystal light. My husband was having fajitas today, I have to say, I've thought many times today "what have i done? Am I going to regret this? Was being fat really THAT bad?" Hard to believe I would even consider that notion, huh???

As I had prayed about this decision so many times a passage of scripture came to mind, Jesus said "If your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better to enter heaven mamed than into hell physically whole" PARAPHRASED. food had become like my golden calf. It was what I turned to in times of happiness, lonliness, sadness....everything. It took the place of my holy perfect God. So, I literally "plucked it out".

Will keep you all posted in the days to come.

Sorry this was so long. Hope it helps someone else the way others stories have helped me. God bless you all wherever you are in your journey.

Nanna, Thank you for posting your story. It really touched my heart. You are right about the food coming before our perfect God. When I think of all the money and time that I have wasted on food it is terrible. Just think what I could have been doing instead to help someone else. Hugs to you.

Thank you so much for sharing this! I agree, it is very helpful for people to have an idea of what to expect prior to and immediately following surgery. It helps to calm the nerves.

Wow, sorry to hear you had such a rough time of it.

I had none of those problems. I had left shoulder pain immediately after surgery. The next day I was walking all over Mexicali in my bathrobe because I was so bored in my hospital room. I never had any pain what so ever after the first night.

When I came home, I could have gone back to work that day if I had to. I honestly could not tell I had surgery.

I am only saying all this because everyone is different. I am sorry to hear it's been a rough recovery for you, but I don't want all new people to worry that they will their recovery will be rough also.

I hope every day you feel better and the pounds start melting off!

grat to hear other peoples stories....its definatly an experience!!!!

my surgury was 10 Aug and im finding that i fall asleep at very short notice. my body feels fine....really good....but totally drained of energy!!!!

Dange, once you are able to move on to mushies, you will find a significant increase in your energy level. I know I did.

grat to hear other peoples stories....its definatly an experience!!!!

my surgury was 10 Aug and im finding that i fall asleep at very short notice. my body feels fine....really good....but totally drained of energy!!!!

I was the same way -- I had much more energy once I was able to start eating better (dealing with the spasms) and even more when I started taking Vitamins - hang in there - it does get better!

Thank you for your story and your inspirational recovery thoughts. What wonderful things to come to mind when you are going through so much.,Each day will get better for you.

Well, it's day 7. I'm so amazed at how much better I feel each day. I cleaned house most all of yesterday, with a few naps in between. Dange, I see what you mean about the energy. I feel great now. THe drain site is still a bit tender but it comes out tomorrow. The diarrhea came yesterday too.

And, like most others I've read, finding it hard to get down all of my liquids and Protein. Still haven't gotten the ticker thing, but I was officially down 25 pounds today, since pre-op. :lol0: YEA!!!!!!! Thanks for all the encouragement! Have a great hump day.

Well, it's day 7. I'm so amazed at how much better I feel each day. I cleaned house most all of yesterday, with a few naps in between. Dange, I see what you mean about the energy. I feel great now. THe drain site is still a bit tender but it comes out tomorrow. The diarrhea came yesterday too.

And, like most others I've read, finding it hard to get down all of my liquids and Protein. Still haven't gotten the ticker thing, but I was officially down 25 pounds today, since pre-op. :lol0: YEA!!!!!!! Thanks for all the encouragement! Have a great hump day.

Sounds as though you're doing great Nanna - keep up the good work!

I am so glad to hear you're feeling so much better!

That's a great weight loss too. I am really happy for you!

Nanna- If I might ask, what was the drain for? My doc didn't mention anything about having a drain. I'm confused. Thanks for sharing! I loved your paraphrase of the WORD and I never thought of it that way. I'll definately look that one up and post it on my fridge! Bless you through your recovery period! I am scheduled 9/24 and still so nervous.

After surgery, some surgeons put in a drain to drain out excess fluids from your cavity area - I had one from Friday following surgery until Sunday morning. That was the only incision on me that hurt and it wasn't an unbearable pain, just a sort of "sore muscle" pain ... I was very happy to have it removed which didn't hurt at all, was a very strange feeling though.

Nanna, thank you so much for your honesty. I am struggling the last couple of days and have realized how important food was to me in dealing with things. I'm looking for scripture to help me and so appreciated reading your post today. Thank you

Great story, it's so important to share, so we all don't feel alone on this journey. Everything went great for me until I got home and had to bathe my dirty kitten and blow dry him (long haired persian) and our hot Water heater broke this morning. Besides that....life is good :-))) Keep up the good work!