Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am beginning my journey into the possibility of having WLS and I am trying to decide which one to have. I know that I don't want the RNY - for sure! I am torn between the band and the sleeve. I like the idea of having the band incase something goes wrong and I can have it "reversed", but am not excited about all of the trips to have the injections, etc. What scares me about the sleeve is that is it "un-reversable", and wonder if something happens. (I'm a 'what if' kinda girl)

Can someone please helpo me with comparisions of the two, i.e. pre-op diet, follow-up appts., etc.

Thanks in advance for your help! :smile1:

I really think this is an important post to read Tweets, I read it today for the first time-http://verticalsleevetalk.com/tell-your-story/4-why-i-chose-sleeve-better-late-than-never.html#post52

Please don't misunderstand--me--I am not here to bash anyones preference. After a bit of research I was very sure that I didn't want the band, (and I knew of a couple of people who had weight loss success with it). After a bit more research I felt the conviction to set my goal for the VSG, (Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy). My surgery for the sleeve is September 15th.

I have a friend that I chat with in the lap band chat room that is so bummed out after losing 100 lbs with the band, it slipped. She has to have her band unfilled and leave it unfilled and now wishes she had gotten the sleeve. She is so unhappy. A slipped band is very painful. She spent a long time in a lot of pain in the emergency room before she was able to get her band unfilled. I feel really bad for her.

I just found out that my insurance will not pay for the sleeve, only the band or the bypass. Now I'm undecided whether to have the band done or just wait and see if my insurance will cover it "one day". Ugh!

I just found out that my insurance will not pay for the sleeve, only the band or the bypass. Now I'm undecided whether to have the band done or just wait and see if my insurance will cover it "one day". Ugh!

I do believe that your surgeon can make an appeal to the insurance company. I have heard that in some instances the insurance company will approve the request second time around. As for myself, I had discussed the possibility of the sleeve procedure being denied by my insurance company, and my surgeon told me that he would appeal and work hard to get it approved. Since I am unable to self-pay, if my insurance had not approved the appeal for the sleeve, then I would want the GB over the band. I really gave this alot of thought, knowing that with the bypass it would be critical that I take the right nutritionals. If I were you I would use the appeal process and see if your insurance company will come around. The other option is to self pay for the sleeve if you can. If I were able to I would have because there are doctors in Mexico with excellent track records for the VGS. I do hope you get what you want.

I will try the appeal for sure! I just figured if they won't pay, they won't pay; didn't know that I had that option. I have Tricare and as you all know, that's the 'Government", so who knows if we will be able to change their minds/policy. I know that I do not want the bypass; a friend of my had that and she has had really bad nutritional problems even with the Vitamins and supplements that she was taking. She has ended up having it reversed completely. (She travels often for work and was out of town and was found of the floor of her hotel room completely unresponsive due to complications from her bypass.) That scares me to death!!

I'm just not sure if I am ready for the complications from the band either, so I am trying to decide whether to just forget the whole thing until my insurance company updates it's policy. I am in NO condition to be a cash pay patient.

My prayers are that we can appeal and I can get the sleeve as I have decided. Just frustrated and disappointed now!

That's too bad. It's really annoying my surgeon here that most ins. will not pay for

the sleeve. He said it's been frustrating for him.

I hope you can win on appeal because

the band is misery.

Speak with your surgeon and let him know how you feel and he may be able to justify to Tri Care the importance of the sleeve gastrectomy procedure for YOU in particular. Although we did not need to appeal, My surgeon was prepared to argue the necessity of the sleeve as being the safest procedure for me. If you have a good repore with your surgeon perhaps he can really make a case for you too. I hope so.

Don't give up...patience grasshopper:001_smile: I think in the next few months there will be more research/feedback regarding the sleeve and it will eventually take the place of the lapband.

In speaking with my doctor, she felt right off the bat that the sleeve was the better surgery...what ever you don't, don't loose hope and give up...it may take some research...try and find a doctor tht does both and see if he can help with finding research. My doctor does both and felt it was the better...it was the same price as the lapband so....

I got you in my prayers....believe;-):)

I will try the appeal for sure! I just figured if they won't pay, they won't pay; didn't know that I had that option. I have Tricare and as you all know, that's the 'Government", so who knows if we will be able to change their minds/policy. I know that I do not want the bypass; a friend of my had that and she has had really bad nutritional problems even with the Vitamins and supplements that she was taking. She has ended up having it reversed completely. (She travels often for work and was out of town and was found of the floor of her hotel room completely unresponsive due to complications from her bypass.) That scares me to death!!

I'm just not sure if I am ready for the complications from the band either, so I am trying to decide whether to just forget the whole thing until my insurance company updates it's policy. I am in NO condition to be a cash pay patient.

My prayers are that we can appeal and I can get the sleeve as I have decided. Just frustrated and disappointed now!

Tricare is about to start approving the sleeve, and my revision from band to sleeve was covered 100% by Tricare.

Our MTF/Hospital here is doing sleeves all the time and they are covered by Tricare as long as you meet the eligibility requirements. BMI, co-morbidities, and so forth. There are several MTF/Military Hospitals across the nation that are performing the sleeve and they are being approved and covered.

Don't give up ! ! !

A lot of plans will consider the sleeve if it's proposed as a "first step" for an eventual, possible, DS or bypass. This is in the case of the super-sizers, like me. I am scheduled for the sleeve on 8/26 and I hope to make it do the job without going back for any additional messing around my insides.

A lot of plans will consider the sleeve if it's proposed as a "first step" for an eventual, possible, DS or bypass. This is in the case of the super-sizers, like me. I am scheduled for the sleeve on 8/26 and I hope to make it do the job without going back for any additional messing around my insides.

Congratulations! Only 2 days now. How are you doing? My sleeve surgery is scheduled for 9/15. I'm sort of stressed. From what I've seen so far the sleeve may do the job for you. Here's wishing you a very smooth and speedy recovery- keep us posted, we're here for you. God bless.

L-

I have tricare west prime. My surgery is being done at a military facility. Are you eligible for tricare prime? Where is the closest military facility to you? What is your status? (active, retired) Sorry so many questions. I believe we can work around this and get you the sleeve!!! Lots of us Military girls around.

Oh and which region tricare do you have?

Oh, ADNK, I am sure the sleeve will be the right tool for you. It is very doable and the results are amazing. Only 2 more days to go. You are almost there. Good luck with your surgery and wt loss.