Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay, I'm almost off mushies and I have NO appetite, especially for yet another shake or bowl of Soup. Just the thought makes me nauseated.

So my Protein and liquid intake is WAY down.

I'm forcing myself to drink Water but not nearly enough. It's been this way for a few days.

Any suggestions??

I'm off mushies on Thursday. I can't even think of what sounds good except maybe a few bites of normal food.< /p>

Refried Beans made me really sick, just stuck in my throat. Same with eggs. Cottage cheese tasted really weird to me for some reason.

I'm living off yogurt but it's really hard to eat enough. I can tolerate about two small bites of chicken salad.

I tried eggs for Breakfast, very soft - and it was awful. :crying:

That's so funny that you should write that - I just found a can of cream of chicken Soup in my pantry and thought "well, i could try this tonight." and then i read your post!

cream of chicken...it's what's for dinner.

i go to "normal" food in a few days. i can't imagine being able to get anything down. anyone out there willing to lend your experience on the transition time from mushies to normal food? ?

Things may taste weird for a while. Your sense of smell may be heightened too. The combination of being in ketosis and having a stronger sense of smell can make a lot food seem off or unappetizing.

But this will pass. In the meantime, just keep changing things up and forcing yourself to eat.

Thanks, MacMadame. You always have good advice. How was it for you when you made the transition off mushies? Any tips? I know there are a few of us about to make that shift in the next week.

Sorry... Don't know what happened to my post.. Well from memory...

I know exactly how you feel!! I had my surgery on 7/8/09 and I'm so sick of Protein Shakes and soup!!!!! I find it very hard to eat 4-6 times a day... One meal that I found myself liking was a mixture of can chicken, cream of broccoli cheddar, or cream of chicken, with sour cream. I'm currently on soft foods and I?m so bored with the selections of food that I can eat... but one thing I do look forward to; is as time passes every few weeks I'll be able to incorporate a new food back into my life.... Good luck with your journey and remember I'm going through the same thing.

I don't really eat solids all that often. I stayed on mushies longer just because it was very difficult for me to get used to eating solids.

I made taco meat with ground turkey with sour cream and light salsa and ate a little bit of that every day at first. I also ate a little bit of egg salad at first.

I am 3 months out and still sometimes have no appetite. It will come back. Just eat what sounds good to you, and be prepared to only be able to eat a few bites. It's normal.

I also eat half a Protein bar sometimes when nothing else sounds good.

Are you taking any medicine...... I know that after I take my Vitamins or my other medicines..... I DO NOT FEEL LIKE EATING ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or drinking...... it can last about 2-3 hours. I get naucious occasionally too!

So I learned to take it when I get the most into thinking of snacking (at night after the kids go to bed!) about an hour before I go....... then it quit messing up my not wanting to eat / drink!

I wish I could be of help; however what works for me one day, doesn't seem to work for me the next -- I'm still struggling to get in my Protein and fluids and I'm 6 weeks out ... I keep thinking every morning when I get up that today is going to be the day that I quit having problems...and then I find out it's not ... it's quite frustrating and I wonder how much longer this is going to last.

VA, It's hard for me to remember that you are only 6 weeks out. I keep thinking you got sleeved about the same time I did. I guess in sleeve world, 6 weeks is a lot longer. In the long run, we will consider that we were sleeved right about the same time. I hope that things start getting easier for you soon.

I started on regular food at 7 weeks out. My surgeon had me wait longer than normal because of some things going on with me. (Hiatal hernia repair slowed down my recovery a bit.)

I thought eating regular food was going to be great but that was the beginning of my pissy period. I was eating "regular" food but the amounts were TINY. It was really frustrating. Also, I went to Las Vegas the day after I started regular food and spent the weekend with a bunch of RnYers who were all around a year or longer and they all could eat SO MUCH food compared to me. So that just made it worse.

Oh and I also had some episodes of the foamies because I was eating too fast and, occasionally, too much.

But at about 12 weeks, I could eat more and that was good and I got over my pissiness. I think the problem is that I thought regular food == regular life, but, in the beginning, you just don't have a regular life when it comes to food. That takes time and healing.

Now, you may not have my exact experience, but just be prepared for it not to be the most wonderful thing ever.... that comes later.

Oh and I also had some episodes of the foamies because I was eating too fast and, occasionally, too much.

I've heard about the foamies - but what is that exactly??

It's when your body produces too much saliva in a vain attempt to get the too much food you ate to digest faster. The saliva tends to foam up. There isn't room for it in the sleeve either so it just makes everything worse.

Some people call it the slimies instead. In Brazil, they call it "alien spit." :mad0:

independence- I just wanted to say that I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I go to regular foods Friday & while it sounds wonderful, I can't think of anything I want to eat that I think will go down. I'm still living on pudding & yogurt mostly. I still do a Protein shake in the morning & try to get another one in at night, but sometimes I just can't stomach it.

I tried eggs again today b/c I'm getting frustrated with my food choices & I only did 2 teeny tiny bites & I couldn't do anymore...I wanted to puke. Fortunately it didn't feel stuck this time, but I honestly just wanted to puke! For some reason, it tasted horrible!

I can do refried Beans if I thin them out with taco sauce & sour cream, but I'm all out at the moment. :mad0: I know my Protein intake is lower than it's supposed to be, but I just can't do it right now. I can't drink the nectar protein anymore b/c it makes me gag...

Keep me posted on how you do going to "normal" foods.