Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello There,

I was sleeved a couple of days ago July 29th 2009... So far I am doing good. I am a bit tired and my stomach is very tender. I'm not sure if thats normal. My doctor had to do a couple of other incisions due to a massive HERNIA (sounds gross!) I dont know if I am drinking enough fluids. My back is hurting along with my left shoulder. I'm hoping that this all goes away soon so that I can get back to life. :thumbup:

Edited by Paloma
just because

Hi Paloma, and welcome to VST! What you are feeling is not at all unusual, you will be tender for several days. The shoulder pain is probably due to the gas. Walking is the best thing you can do for that. Make sure you are taking tiny sips of Water frequently, it is very important that you get all your needed fluids and avoid dehydration.

I had my surgery on the 28th the day before yours and my experience is similar. My doctor's nurse practitioner warned us about the pain in the left shoulder. Apparently the lung on the left side has more room for gas to rise around it than the right. This gas in not in your intestinal system but is residual gas from them injecting gas in your abdomen to make room for the surgeon to do his laparoscopic procedure and is common for any type of surgery like that. GasX and such have nothing to do with this type of Gas, only walking will help get this out of your system. I had a severe pain the second day in the hospital that I would have thought was a heart attack if I hadn't been warned. It went away but since getting home I have had some recurance but not so severe. I guess eventually all that excess gas will go away. I think as some of the swelling in my adomen has gone down probably there was some more gas escaping from somewhere and making it's way to my upper shoulder.

Edited by fencepost

Try putting a heating pad on your back in the shoulder area where the pain is and if necessary move it around to the front and lower abdomen area -- for some reason the heat helps dissipate the pain from the gas. I took my heating pad to the hospital and used it while I was there - by the time I was discharged, I had no issues with gas pains.

You are having normal post op discomfort considering you had a hernia repair too. Repairing hernias involves muscles we use to sit up and just about every other activity we do so you will feel sore for awhile. Getting up and walking is the very best remedy for post op discomfort. Keep us posted on your progress.

Welcome Paloma,

I hope that you feel better soon. Where did you have your surgery? Texas? Judy

Hi Paloma,

Did you have your hernia repaired at the same time or has that got to be done once you have lost weight? I had an absolutely huge hernia (I was always being told by strangers that I would have my hands full once the 'little'one arrived) and mine was restitched at the same time I had my VSG done which was just over 3 weeks ago. I still feel very sore. It takes a while to recover from major abdominal surgery and everyone is different. Take the advice already given here and I am sure you will be fine. Don't overdo it though!

Helenxxx

Welcome Paloma!!

Yep- quite natural what you're going thru- but it will soon be a blur and a bad memory!!!

I have not had any problems to really speak of. I do get bloated on and off. I am not sure with a liquid diet but I am. I have not lost a great amount of weight yet. I go back to the surgeon tomorrow will glad to step on their scale. I wish you all great luck. I wanted this sleeve so bad.. He started out doing a lapr. RNY but because of adhesions it was converted to a sleeve. Ya for me!

Hello way up NORTH.... I also live in WISCONSIN.... Just wondering what part you are from? I was wondering if we had any other sleevers on this chat line. :biggrin0:

I am from a small town Exeland. I am going for my 8 day post op today. I am so happy with the sleeve so far. I started out trying an RNY but too many adhesions. I drink 3 Unjury Protein Shakes daily and have been doing great along with 2 oz cream of wheat and 2 oz og creammed Soup. THen I have a SF pudding in the evening. Along with my Water of course during the day. Where in Wisconsin do you live?

Wondering why you had the sleeve so many have had the RNY or lapbanding. I knew from the beginnning after reading and searching this is what I wanted. He did have to try the RNY first but because of adhesions was unable to complete and I did not want the band. So he proceeded with the Sleeve and I was so happy.