Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oprah backs out of lapband surgery

I recently saw an Oprah show and saw that she had put some weight back on. I think that would be wonderful if she had it done.

I also don't take EVERYTHING in the tabloids to be true... but there is some small truth to every blown up rumor.

I would not be surprised at all if there was some truth to it.

Thanks for posting this... I am curious to see how it unfolds.

As to the comment about who cares if they (stars) have surgery or not? I am very interested in ANY person that has had weightloss surgery. I like to see how people do... It is easier for me to watch a star than a person I might pass on the street one day and never see again that had the band.

I don't really watch her show, but I have seen how she's yoyo'd throughout the years, and if anyone has worked as hard as her to lose weight so many times, I can imagine how demoralizing it is to be at goal, then to be close to your high weight, back and forth back and forth. I can see how learning about the band might change her views on WLS if it can keep her from gaining again.

As for the tabloid, those stories start from somewhere, just like most rumors have a grain of truth to them.

For the record, I'm not a National Enquirer addict, I just flew from Florida to DC this weekend and picked up the rag as eye candy for the 2 hour plane ride.

I was really distrubed by the article due to Oprah's quoted stance on gastric banding or any WLS as an easy way out. Truth or not, I'm hurt by this statement because this is certainly NOT easy, and we as WLS patients are certainly not lazy. We have to do everything she has had to do time and time again with her yo-yo-ing throughout the years except we don't have her billions to keep trainers and chefs at our beck and call.

I've always been proud of her losses and sad for her gains, but I agree that if she wants to really help herself stop the insanity (no Susan Powter pun intended here) and help make this struggle more possible she should look to the band as we have.

Additionally, she should not criticize or ostracize her fellow human sisters and brothers who suffers from obesity as she has for doing something so positivie for themselves as getting banded and trying to grab the brass ring of health.

Shame on her if her "statements" (I say it loosely since it was the Enquirer) are factual and she really believes we are weak for choosing WLS and not "toughing it out". We are toughing it out, dieting, exercising, and all the thigns she's doing we're just taking the extra step of having the band as a tool for assistance.

How frustrating.

I don think she will either, and to be honest and i hope i dont hurt anyones feelings, we all we would thinner to if we had the money to have a personal trainer, and someone cooking our food that we are supposed to eat. Granted it takes dedication even then but it does make it easier

i know a lot of rich fat women. lol i don't think its money. she just likes her fried chicken!! :)

i think she should just shut up about it. personally i hate the holier than thou additude she takes on weight loss. she needs to cut the BS and just try to do something that will help her keep the wieght off.

I think we should have several of us write her and send in the letters together or simultaneously and get her to get some of us new and older banded and even de-banded people on her show to talk about the band. If she thinks WLS is the easy way out than she is wrong.

2 contributors to how I am losing weight

1. Eating right/drinking shakes/water/portion control/nutritional supplements

2. Exercising

Those 2 things require ALOT of mental and physical work. She should be corrected. She is such a modern icon and anything she says is almost Godly word to many people (blanket statement here). I mean, Oprah is the biggest, most richest, baddest Talk show host ever, in the history of tv. She has the power to influence many many millions and to hear you guys witness her, I'd say...... lack of knowledge about the band and preach it is wrong and tells society that it's wrong to take this band route.

I mean, I hear people in the waiting rooms of wherever I am.. say something to the effect of, "Well if Oprah says it then..." I also get that alot when people talk about Dr. Phil. People of power have the power to change the mentality about WLS.

Im adding something to this thread so I can keep up with it. basically, just being nosey.

Yeah, I dont think you can believe anything you read. I mean, Demi Moore has been pregnant in her mid 40's for about 30 months now, Tom is actually the father of Katies baby and Britney is kicking out Kevin!

LOLOLOLOL - thanks, I needed a good laugh right about now!

Saying the lap band is taking the easy way out, is like saying taking medication for type 2 diabetes, or high pressure medication, etc. is the easy way out. Gee, we could all diet and exercise our way to health, unfortunately few of us have the stoicism to succeed. I see being overweight and constantly feeling hungry as being as serious as my depression; I take medication for my depression and I have the band to help me control my hunger. These last four weeks since getting banded have been the first time in nine years that I haven't battled hunger pangs and felt like a loser because I always ended up overeating. I appologize to no one for using something which is relatively safe and has already helped me lose 25 pounds. I feel great and I love my band.:)

Can it be possible that the 'grain of truth' in the National Enquirer story is that Oprah is researching the procedure for a segment on her show or an article in her magazine? Hmmmmmmm.

I'm more likely to believe this than that Oprah actually backed out of anything once she decided to do it. lol

I think that after all of Oprah's public disapproval of WLS, for her to now HAVE WLS would damage her credibility. UNLESS she researched it A LOT and PUBLICLY first. Have a public change of heart, dip her toe into the public pool, see how the Water lies, then surgery.

Having made all that conjecture, I think that, at best, there will be a segment on her show about WLS. At worst, it will focus on all the negative aspects of it.

Well: here's what I think........

1) She should have it done LIVE on the internet and charge a nominal fee for viewing that will go to charity.

2) Show it again on her show with her surgeon narrating and have the entire audience consist of successful bandsters. (During ratings week, of course.)

3) Have Dr. Phil on to compliment her and tell her how brave and wonderful she is.

4) At the end of the show, everyone in the audience gets a gift certificate for plastic surgery.

:):(:) :) :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

She needs to have it done because the Yo-Yo dieting is unhealthly for her life and her self-esteem. I'm not saying that a persons self esteem should be based on weight but each time a person fails at a diet I think it's very hurtful on an emotional level.

I choice this surgery becasue I wanted to be healthy and I was sick and tired of "failing" at a very hard honest effort to lose weight. So many people think overweight people are liars since they don't loose on normal diets like weight watchers.... I've discovered that weight watchers is just too many calories for me to lose on... had I not had the band I would have never realized that.

I used to use Oprah as my "cope out" excuse. When I would fail I'd say "Hell if Oprah can't do it and keep it off with all her money, personal chiefs, diet coaches, personal trainers then how can a regular person like me do it"

And for you people who say "Who Cares...." and act all holier then thou that you're better because you don't look at tabloids; the thing is some of us do care. For me I'm interested because it shows me how hard it is without surgery and justifies my decision.

you know, i actually like the idea of all of us sending oprah a bunch of letters. I think that if she gets enough of them, nicely written, and well thought out explaining the ups and downs of the lapband it could really get her to stop and think. maybe she would do a show on it at least. and i think that if we had people write about all the different stages, from bandsters that are at different stages that she can see it is different than RNY. Turtles, rabbits, newly banded, veterans, eroded and slipped and everything in between. Write your story and write it well. (be sure to use spell checker. LOL) If enough of us sent letters with LBT written on the envelope in big red letters they would see that a lot of us are responding to her and want her to see some things from the other side.

so is there enough dedication in this group to do this? I know that we all have enough typing time to write it out. Thanks Telly for the idea. I think itis a great one. And it is a lot better than all of us just sitting here tossing conjecture around and whining about what she thinks of Lapband. LOL

I hate how people rag on WLS. At least I care about my health enough to do something. It's like people bad mouth fat people, but then diss us for taking charge of our weight and our health. I swear.