Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weightloss surgery study @ Johns Hopkins

Hey!

I got into this cool study on the metabolic changes of weightloss surgery. They are in desperate need of sleevers so if you are going to have the surgery (you need to start pre-op) So if you are getting the sleeve and live near enough to Johns Hopkins to go 22 times in 2 years, you get paid per visit, for a total of $2500.

Here is the ad from their website:

A study is being performed to evaluate changes in blood glucose and heart function before and after weight loss following bariatric surgery. Men and women, ages 21 to 65, are needed to participate.The study involves 22 outpatient visits over the course of two years. Participants will be eligible for compensation up to $2,500.

For more information, please call 410-550-9278.

Principal Investigator: Dariush Elahi, Ph.D.

Protocol Number: NA_00004876

Hey!

I got into this cool study on the metabolic changes of weightloss surgery. They are in desperate need of sleevers so if you are going to have the surgery (you need to start pre-op) So if you are getting the sleeve and live near enough to Johns Hopkins to go 22 times in 2 years, you get paid per visit, for a total of $2500.

Here is the ad from their website:

A study is being performed to evaluate changes in blood glucose and heart function before and after weight loss following bariatric surgery. Men and women, ages 21 to 65, are needed to participate.The study involves 22 outpatient visits over the course of two years. Participants will be eligible for compensation up to $2,500.

For more information, please call 410-550-9278.

Principal Investigator: Dariush Elahi, Ph.D.

Protocol Number: NA_00004876

I am going to make this a sticky for a bit if that is okay with you. If you prefer I not do that let me know and I'll remove it.

Would you mind cross posting this in the "research" section as well?

Here is the link:

http://verticalsleevetalk.com/research-statistics/

Thanks!

Edited by WASaBubbleButt

I think that would be great if you made it a sticky.

And I will head over and put it in the research section now. I am happy to discuss my experiences as they go as well.

They are in real need for sleevers for their study. And they were very supportive of my going to Mexico to see Dr. Aceves for my surgery as well, so don't let that keep you away.

I'm hoping to help the sleeve become accepted and viable for insurance!

I think that would be great if you made it a sticky.

And I will head over and put it in the research section now. I am happy to discuss my experiences as they go as well.

They are in real need for sleevers for their study. And they were very supportive of my going to Mexico to see Dr. Aceves for my surgery as well, so don't let that keep you away.

I'm hoping to help the sleeve become accepted and viable for insurance!

That's what I was thinking as well. If we can get enough studies and documentation out there maybe ins co's will be better about covering the sleeve.

Thanks for posting this.

Yes, Hopkins are still looking for VSG candidates. I called last week, and they emailed me the packet. Give them a call, and good luck.

Lol- no such luck on them doing the surgery.

I have been twice now, to the pre-op round of tests and my 1 month post op round.

I like it. The people are nice, the stuff you are asked to do isn't that bad, I need the money at the moment, and I like helping science. My Dr. is also very happy I am participating because they are closely monitoring stuff that wouldn't be done normally.

One of the really cool things is the dexa scan that measures your body composition, so you can see how much fat/lean mass you have lost.

It is kinda fun to find out all the stuff about yourself.

I will be going for my first couple of studies the week of October 19. Looking forward to the extra testing and the $$ will be a help too!

Hugs,

JoAnne

I decided against participating in this study. The time committment was not something I could work with - 9.5 hour days under observation plus travel time - I'd have to take leave and hire sitters, and I don't let anyone drive my kids but me, let alone transferring the car seats and all that!! The extra radiation and muscle biopsies kinda bugged me, too - it is an extremely comprehensive study. (Altho I understand you may be able to opt out of the muscle biopsies...)

THANK YOU - everyone who does choose to participate - the results will be extremely interesting and beneficial to all!!

Sheri