Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP!!!! Anyone post-op!!!

Okay so I need some help! I still can't take in much liquids (Renee has tried to get me to go in for IV Fluids but I don't think I am that far gone yet) I am on full fluids and can't seem to find anything really I can take! I need advice on what works best! I have tried Tomato Soup, different kinds of smoothies, stew and bean and bacon Soup blended up, Atkins shakes, and whey Protein Shakes. I can't take more then 3-4 sips and sometimes that makes me feel ill!!! The only thing I have been able to get down..about (2 oz or so) was the carnation instant mix I made for my kids and that is not really ideal... Please let me know if you found anything especially good that might help me get more into my body...the past few weeks have really sucked food and liquid wise! Thanks all!

Keep a medicine cup or a shot glass and a bottle of Water with you and try drinking one half ounce every 30 min for 2 hours and then gradually increase the amount. If your urine is dark yellow, you're getting dehydrated.

Okay so I need some help! I still can't take in much liquids (Renee has tried to get me to go in for IV Fluids but I don't think I am that far gone yet) I am on full fluids and can't seem to find anything really I can take! I need advice on what works best! I have tried Tomato Soup, different kinds of smoothies, stew and bean and bacon Soup blended up, Atkins shakes, and whey Protein shakes. I can't take more then 3-4 sips and sometimes that makes me feel ill!!! The only thing I have been able to get down..about (2 oz or so) was the carnation instant mix I made for my kids and that is not really ideal... Please let me know if you found anything especially good that might help me get more into my body...the past few weeks have really sucked food and liquid wise! Thanks all!

Go to eggfaces website and see if you can find an ice cream there you can tolerate -- some of them, in 1 C you get in like 56 gms of Protein.< /strong>

I had chicken, potatoe, brocoli and cheese soup for dinner - put it in the blender, pureed it, measured out 1/2 a cup and heated in the microwave ... it took me 30 minutes to eat it, but man was it good.

I don't know what else to tell you ... I'm still having spasms when I eat or drink too much too fast -- I'm so thirsty I want to gulp, but I can't - it just comes right back up ... so I'm not much help to you. Sorry

is it because nothing tastes good or because you feel too full on a couple of sips?

Elisabeth~I keep my Water bottle with me at all times and sip. I am dehydrated, at least moderately, but I am doing a bit better each day. My husband is constantly on me about it and wanting to know how much I have gotten down.

Susan~ I wish I could get a 1/2 cup down in 30 minutes...I take 3-4 bites, and I am full, anything more then that I feel so sick!

Daisy~I am full...I can't handle more then a few bites of a spoon 1/2 full. I still can't sip Water more then like every 2 minutes or so and only a small sip.

I guess I have to keep waiting for my tummy to get used to it. I was just hoping there was something really good that I could try because it seems the things I liked before have changed.

Eyfura, I saw your post and it really hit home. I had the exact same problem as you when I first got my sleeve. Nothing tasted good to me anymore, and drinking most things actually made me feel nauseous. As a result, I ended up in the hospital on IV's for severe dehydration three times during my first month of being sleeved. The thing I finally found that I actually liked and was able to tolerate was the new low calorie, fruit punch flavored gatorade. It got me through the rough period. Now that I am nearly three months out, I have found that I am able to tolerate most things much better now, and am able to get more than just a sip of Water down at a time.

Edited by *susan*

WELCOME *SUSAN* - I'd been wondering where you were :tongue_smilie:

Hope your suggestion works for Becki - she's really having a rough go of it.:sad0:

Believe me, I feel for her! The first month was quite rough for me. I hope she gets to feeling better. Dehydration can really make you feel awful.

I haven't been online much lately. We are in the process of moving, with the big day being Saturday. So, I spent the first two weeks of the month getting ready for a major moving sale as we are downsizing, and now I am packing like crazy.

Believe me, I feel for her! The first month was quite rough for me. I hope she gets to feeling better. Dehydration can really make you feel awful.

I haven't been online much lately. We are in the process of moving, with the big day being Saturday. So, I spent the first two weeks of the month getting ready for a major moving sale as we are downsizing, and now I am packing like crazy.

Well, we're glad you're here and I definitely don't envy you at all on the moving, packing, downsizing issue.

You can absorb a surprising amount of Water just keeping it in your mouth. So even of you can't swallow it down, try just keeping a bit in your mouth. You can do the same with food as well.

In a survival situation you can absorb Water that would be unsafe to drink via enema, but since you have internet access I don't think it will come to that!:lol0:

Susan, I am really glad to see you posting here. You have very valuable information and experience that you can share with new comers. I am glad to read things are going better for you.

I am glad to read that you're having an easier time eating and drinking. I know the first couple of months were rough, but I am really glad to hear it's better.

Now I have to go back and see if you posted your story.

Again, I am glad to see you here!

I found I had to mix things up constantly. Sometime warm liquids like tea would go down easier than cold, other times cold would work better. For a while it had to be plain Water. Then it had to have flavor.

Just keep trying different things until you find something that works. Then, when it stops working, go back to square one. :lol0:

Good lord! I really never imagined that it would be this difficult! Susan thanks for letting me know I am not the only one that has gone through this, it seems everyone else does so well! It is hard having family that is going to get it done and they look at me and get a bit freaked...I just keep telling them that I am not normal! I figured I was going into this about as healthy as you can be when you're heavy, and I drank tons of Water everyday, I thought I would hate the after diet, but it would be no big deal really. Now I just feel like I have to constantly monitor everything just to stay out of the hospital! Oh well...just give it time right?!? LOL Not like I have any other option! :lol0: Thanks everyone!

Susan, welcome!

Eyfura, you're still a fresh post-op and likely have a lot of post-op swelling. Keep drinking and try and get in some Protein. Maybe you could try some pudding and see if that goes down? Keep experimenting and stay hydrated.

I was really full today. I could hardly drink Water. I had my

little can of chicken salad for lunch that I have had before,

but for some reason today it just made me feel stuffed all

afternoon. I don't like that. I like being able to drink all the Water I need, easily.

I hope it gets easier for you soon, Eyfura!