Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone sorry they had the VSG surgery?

I think I'm @ that nervous stage..my surgery is coming up...I just want to make sure there is no one out there is is absolutely sorry they had the surgery..I know this is a terrible question to ask but I just want honest answers...I'm getting butterflies b/cause of the life change.

Nope, I'm not sorry. I wish this had been an option 20 years ago, in fact.

I think I'm @ that nervous stage..my surgery is coming up...I just want to make sure there is no one out there is is absolutely sorry they had the surgery..I know this is a terrible question to ask but I just want honest answers...I'm getting butterflies b/cause of the life change.

I know that feeling. But we must hang in there. I am scheduled for mine in September and ever since I have scheduled the date my emotions have been "on a roller coaster ride". But hey, I figure I have to DO Something. So when I think of it like that "I get excited".

So we must continue to encourage one another. P.S. I notice that you are in my area, which surgeon are you using?

I had it done a just over a month ago and I don't regret it. I am excited that I am getting my life back. Already I can walk much better and my snoring has stopped. I am hopeful that I may live the enjoy grandchildren even.

Keep your chin up :thumbup1:

I am not sorry, but it is a big change. You can only eat a few bites of hard Protein and it's got to be chewed up very well in itty bitty pieces. It can be difficut to move to solids after liquids and mushies, but we must learn to eat slower, take tiny bites and chew chew and chew somemore. If I do that, it's easy.

Yes, I am terribly sorry I had the surgery. I have no appetite; most food doesn't appeal to me. I miss the conviviality of dining and socializing with friends. If I want a drink - not an alcoholic drink, just Water, then there's no eating. I bought over $100 worth of Celebrate Vitamins which I liked prior to surgery, now I can't stomach the taste. I've resorted to the 'gummy' Vitamins for adults from TARGET.

My surgery was done at Kaiser Permanent/So. SF on March 2nd and pronounced a success; dropping 53 pounds post-op (and 87 pounds prior to surgery). I find myself crying a lot and looking back from my mirror is a face and body I don't know teeming with lots of extra skin. I look older and more 'wrinkled'.:thumbup1:

I've been in a warm Water pool regime for two years. I arrive at 5:30 AM and spend at least an hour moving in the pool. I am also recovering from another major surgery performed on May 4th - a total hip replacement. Hence my body is in stress. I really only had the VSG, so I could get the weight off quicker to have the much-needed hip surgery.

weight.png

Edited by Lainerz

Dear Lainerz,

I am so sorry you are feeling so low. Have you been to the doctors to check if you are suffering from clinical depression. I ask this because I have had this on and off and maybe the change plus the surgery has tipped you into it. It would be worth checking out as life is too short to spend feeling so bad.

Hugs,

Jane

Thanks, Jane. I did speak with a psychiatrist who took me off of PROZAC and put me on WELLBUTRIN. However, I think we need to discuss more options.

While I understand the feeling of loss is in correlation to the weight loss, I've been fairly disabled for nearly 30 months - the last 8 months being the worst. I'm lethargic and sleep deprived - even the Ambien doesn't help.

I'm off to a three week holiday in New England in two weeks - weddings, reunions, rehearsal dinner, etc. LOTS of food, drink, family and 'stuff'....I want to look forward to it. I want to sleep. I want to feel better and that this surgery was 'a good thing', but I'm incredibly depressed....

Lainerz

weight.png

Hi Lainerz,

Sounds like maybe you should scale back the plans as you are not well enough at the moment. There is no point forcing yourself through this and making yourself worse. Play the 'I've recently had surgery' card and dip out early and only attend the very necessary parts. People will understand. Don't say you are dpressed though, say your hip hurts or something physical like that. Many people do not understand depression and think it means feeling a bit miserable! I wish!

I wish you all the best and I am sure you will get through this and one day look back on it in a much happier frame of mind.

Hugs,

Jane

Yes, I am terribly sorry I had the surgery. I have no appetite; most food doesn't appeal to me. I miss the conviviality of dining and socializing with friends. If I want a drink - not an alcoholic drink, just Water, then there's no eating. I bought over $100 worth of Celebrate Vitamins which I liked prior to surgery, now I can't stomach the taste. I've resorted to the 'gummy' Vitamins for adults from TARGET.

My surgery was done at Kaiser Permanent/So. SF on March 2nd and pronounced a success; dropping 53 pounds post-op (and 87 pounds prior to surgery). I find myself crying a lot and looking back from my mirror is a face and body I don't know teeming with lots of extra skin. I look older and more 'wrinkled'.:thumbup1:

I've been in a warm Water pool regime for two years. I arrive at 5:30 AM and spend at least an hour moving in the pool. I am also recovering from another major surgery performed on May 4th - a total hip replacement. Hence my body is in stress. I really only had the VSG, so I could get the weight off quicker to have the much-needed hip surgery.

weight.png

It is common to have these feelings after surgery. Our whole world revolves around food. Social settings, family settings, we deal with emotional issues with food, etc. When the license to eat is taken away it is very hard and I think most of us go through what you are.

The hip surgery is just adding to the emotional and physical stress on your body.

Extra skin... yep, I have that, too. But you know, I'd rather have excess skin than excess fat. I can move better, I can run, I can fit into chairs, I can do all kinds of things that I could not do before.

If you only had the surgery so you could have your hip surgery then this makes sense. People have to really want weight loss. Maybe you weren't in that place yet?

Celebrate vitamins... GAG! OMG, those are horrible. I can't GIVE mine away. I have the Calcium chewables, cocoa flavored. They are disgusting. Nobody who has ever tried them is willing to take them, not even for free. I finally threw them away.

Hang in there, just realizing how much our worlds focused on food is a huge head thing. It happens with time, just give yourself some space. At least with surgery you can live longer and healthier, now that you have had your hip surgery you can live in less pain as well. Maybe focus on the upsides?

Good luck to you!

WASaBubbleButt is 100% right. At least you have this forum and you can share with others who recognise what you are feeling.

I am acutely aware that all our social events revolve around eating. I never really noticed before. Think I will get a season ticket to the cinema or theatre and persuade everone to not make eating part of the night out.

I like the Gummy Vitamins that are designed for ages 3+. A little life treat they are!

Take care.

Yes, I am terribly sorry I had the surgery. I have no appetite; most food doesn't appeal to me. I miss the conviviality of dining and socializing with friends
I sort of miss having big meals with my friends and family. But I still go out and socialize with them. It's nice not to have to stuff myself to do that.

I either share a meal, or order something from the appetizer menu. I have a card that says I had weight loss surgery, which allows me to order off the senior menu or the children's menu. I usually bring food home, but that's a good thing. I don't like to cook so I always have something left over in the fridge from eating out.

Anit depressants are known to cause insomnia. That's one of the reasons I got off of them. Maybe there is a different one that you could take that won't cause that as much.

Give yourself time. You just barely had surgery. You will enjoy buying smaller clothes, and all the other different things that come along with weight loss. Have you talked to your surgeon about not being able to eat if you drink Water? That does not sound right to me.

In time your new stomach should stretch a little so you can eat a little bit more.

Edited by Oregondaisy

Even with all my complications, the leak, I have absolutely zero regrets about revising to the Sleeve. The Band was horrible for me, and I didn't regret having it done, but my life was miserable with it.

I know I am just a 1.5 week out, and my recovery is still on-going. I'm not even on Clear liquids yet. I have a central line with a TPN for another week before I can even move onto anything by mouth. I'll admit this is not fun, it's exhausting, but I have no pain like I did with the band everyday, I'm not sure how I'll feel in a month, 6 months, or a year. I know that if I would not of gone through with the revision, I would of ended up regretting the band and having even more adhesions and scar tissue from my band.

This is a great question. I have my surgery scheduled for 6:30 am on Wednesday June 17...yes this Wednesday. I'm excited but having the scared moments too.

I'll keep you posted on my progress!

This is a great question. I have my surgery scheduled for 6:30 am on Wednesday June 17...yes this Wednesday. I'm excited but having the scared moments too.

I'll keep you posted on my progress!

Best of luck on your surgery! I have no regrets and wish I would have done the VSG as my first weight loss surgery. Unfortunately, when I got the band (over 3 years ago) I did not know about VSG. now that the band is gone, I'm losing weight and have a very much improved quality of life.