Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yesterday, I had not one but TWO meals out. I was a little nervous because the first meal out was with a good friend from work who did not know I had weight loss surgery (WLS) and the second was dinner with family members.

I had a very early MD appointment and skipped Breakfast as my friend wanted to meet for brunch. She chose the international house of pancakes. The last time I ate breakfast out was literally years ago and I have not been to IHOP in well over ten years. There were 3 of us and 2 had the usual breakfast. I searched the menu and selected what I found to be the best bet; a spinach salad with apples, diced chicken cutlet and about 2 tablespoons of finely shredded cheese. I had them hold the hard boiled egg (hate them) and serve the balsamic vinegrette on the side.

I started with a few bites of the chicken, ate one wedge of the apple, a few fork fulls of the spinach leaves, and was stuffed. I had a huge portion left so I offered some to the 2 other ladies saying I was full. They each shared it and only a few spinach leaves remained. Nobody questioned why I was eating so little and the conversation flowed. One down, one to go.

Dinner out was to Celebrate my brother's birthday and his oldest daughter's graduation with her Master's degree. It was me and 6 family members and they decided on a diner. I had brunch at 10:45 AM and dinner was 7:00 PM and I ate nothing in between. They wanted to go to a diner. I ordered an appetizer of baked clams (4) and a turkey sandwich with mayo on the side. I gave away one of the clams, ate 3, and could not eat anymore stating I was full. Everyone was eating and talking and sharing food and nobody cared what I was or was not eating. It helped that my petite niece ordered stuffed mushroom appetizer as her meal (no wonder she's a size 1). The waiter wrapped my sandwich up and I took it home. I'll use the turkey on a salad... several salads. LOL.

Clearly, the get together is far more important than what someone is eating or not eating. I had no reason to worry and my secret was safe. Since childhood I have always been on one diet or another so me eating light was natural and not questioned by family or friends.

My advice... don't worry about social gatherings involving food. Just go and enjoy the occasion and the people. Nobody cares what you do or do not eat.

Yesterday, I had not one but TWO meals out. I was a little nervous because the first meal out was with a good friend from work who did not know I had weight loss surgery (WLS) and the second was dinner with family members.

I had a very early MD appointment and skipped breakfast as my friend wanted to meet for brunch. She chose the international house of pancakes. The last time I ate breakfast out was literally years ago and I have not been to IHOP in well over ten years. There were 3 of us and 2 had the usual breakfast. I searched the menu and selected what I found to be the best bet; a spinach salad with apples, diced chicken cutlet and about 2 tablespoons of finely shredded cheese. I had them hold the hard boiled egg (hate them) and serve the balsamic vinegrette on the side.

I started with a few bites of the chicken, ate one wedge of the apple, a few fork fulls of the spinach leaves, and was stuffed. I had a huge portion left so I offered some to the 2 other ladies saying I was full. They each shared it and only a few spinach leaves remained. Nobody questioned why I was eating so little and the conversation flowed. One down, one to go.

Dinner out was to Celebrate my brother's birthday and his oldest daughter's graduation with her Master's degree. It was me and 6 family members and they decided on a diner. I had brunch at 10:45 AM and dinner was 7:00 PM and I ate nothing in between. They wanted to go to a diner. I ordered an appetizer of baked clams (4) and a turkey sandwich with mayo on the side. I gave away one of the clams, ate 3, and could not eat anymore stating I was full. Everyone was eating and talking and sharing food and nobody cared what I was or was not eating. It helped that my petite niece ordered stuffed mushroom appetizer as her meal (no wonder she's a size 1). The waiter wrapped my sandwich up and I took it home. I'll use the turkey on a salad... several salads. LOL.

Clearly, the get together is far more important than what someone is eating or not eating. I had no reason to worry and my secret was safe. Since childhood I have always been on one diet or another so me eating light was natural and not questioned by family or friends.

My advice... don't worry about social gatherings involving food. Just go and enjoy the occasion and the people. Nobody cares what you do or do not eat.

I think we are farrrr more aware of the quantity of food we are eating than others. People really don't pay much attention. I do, now I do.... I'm shocked at the amount of food people stuff themselves with. But before WLS I never paid attention to what folks were eating.

We do get pretty wrapped up with what others think and in reality, everyone is always on a diet. If you don't eat much and someone notices, "I'm cutting back on calories a bit" is totally doable.

I find it amusing to watch the other people eat. I watch them eat and wonder where they are putting it.

When I very first had the band, my son and I would share a plate. I was only questioned once, and I pulled the little Lapband card out of my wallet, and said " do you need more of an explanation? " The manager came over and apologized. We ordered an "adult" meal, and my kiddo ate most of it. I got the spare plate. We were just at a Logan's Steak house, and I never had any other problems with any other restaurants. My mom, brothers, and step-dad were the only ones who knew at Christmas time that I had lapband done. My evil step-sisters still don't know, and they won't know about the sleeve. No one noticed at Christmas that I ate tiny portions, and steered clear of all the Desserts.< /p>

When I very first had the band, my son and I would share a plate. I was only questioned once, and I pulled the little Lapband card out of my wallet, and said " do you need more of an explanation? " The manager came over and apologized. We ordered an "adult" meal, and my kiddo ate most of it. I got the spare plate. We were just at a Logan's Steak house, and I never had any other problems with any other restaurants. My mom, brothers, and step-dad were the only ones who knew at Christmas time that I had lapband done. My evil step-sisters still don't know, and they won't know about the sleeve. No one noticed at Christmas that I ate tiny portions, and steered clear of all the desserts.

Do they give those cards for the sleeve?

And your evil stepsisters were probably too busy stuffing their faces with desserts to even notice ... or were happy you weren't eating them, as it left more for them.

Do they give those cards for the sleeve?

And your evil stepsisters were probably too busy stuffing their faces with desserts to even notice ... or were happy you weren't eating them, as it left more for them.

No, I didn't get a card for getting the sleeve. I have to take those out of my wallet, update the DMV with my clotting time disorder, and the fact that I have a sleeve now.

The evil step-sisters are naturally thin. Well, T is a size 2 after 3 babies all under the age of 5. M is really evil, she's ballooned up because she was recreation taking Prozac when he husband left her. She's now remarried to a heavy guy, and once told my step-dad "I don't know how you can go from having mom (size 2, big huge fake boobies) to having Allison (my mom)." She was a size 20 at the time of their marriage. It's been hard being around them and my mom and step-dad have been married for 9 years this upcoming November. They always made horrible comments about my weight, and me as a person. M made comments this last Christmas such as " how did she ever land him?" (talking about my husband being so good looking). I'm hoping this year at Christmas, it's a different story, it's just so defeating. T and I have gotten so much closer, she's let it all go for the most part, and really has embraced the marriage between our parents. . .

I am glad I still have my card that I got when I got the band. I've rarely had to use it. If anything ever happened to it, I would get another one from my band dr. They don't know I had my band removed, and I have no reason to tell them. It just says I had WLS and it doesn't say anything about which kind.

I don't even like eating out anymore. I used to love going out to eat. Now I find it to be a waste of not only money but also a waste of time. I am not hungry and I really don't even want to eat. I love it!

I got to wear an outfit today that I don't think I would have ever fit into again if I still had my band.

No, I didn't get a card for getting the sleeve. I have to take those out of my wallet, update the DMV with my clotting time disorder, and the fact that I have a sleeve now.

The evil step-sisters are naturally thin. Well, T is a size 2 after 3 babies all under the age of 5. M is really evil, she's ballooned up because she was recreation taking Prozac when he husband left her. She's now remarried to a heavy guy, and once told my step-dad "I don't know how you can go from having mom (size 2, big huge fake boobies) to having Allison (my mom)." She was a size 20 at the time of their marriage. It's been hard being around them and my mom and step-dad have been married for 9 years this upcoming November. They always made horrible comments about my weight, and me as a person. M made comments this last Christmas such as " how did she ever land him?" (talking about my husband being so good looking). I'm hoping this year at Christmas, it's a different story, it's just so defeating. T and I have gotten so much closer, she's let it all go for the most part, and really has embraced the marriage between our parents. . .

Well as for the comment about landing him, I'm afraid I would have had to say "Maybe because I'm not a bitch like you are and maybe because he sees what a good person I am on the inside and isn't as shallow as you." and gone right on eating my dinner ...

Luckily, my dad married my stepmom when I was 4 ... my stepsister was also 4 (we're 3 weeks apart in age) ... there were 7 of us ... 1-1/2, 4, 4, 6, 9, 12 and 15. My dad had custody of all 4 of us as my mother abandoned us when I was 3. My mom had her 3 ... so we were about like the brady bunch +1 ... 4 boys, 3 girls. My parents have since divorced; however, my stepsister and I remain very close and my "mom" although not legally my mom will always be my mom...if that makes sense.

Glad you and T are working things out - maybe she's finally seeing what a great person you are and all you have to offer ... and maybe she's seeing that your mom makes your dad HAPPY

I got a card with my sleeve. It also has a picture of my surgery on it and info for the ER, if you have a complication, and my surgeon's contact info.

Restaurants don't have to honor them though so I never use it. I just get a to-go box.

But you can download your own card from the internet if you want. The card can sometimes make it easier to explain...

I got a card with my sleeve. It also has a picture of my surgery on it and info for the ER, if you have a complication, and my surgeon's contact info.

Restaurants don't have to honor them though so I never use it. I just get a to-go box.

But you can download your own card from the internet if you want. The card can sometimes make it easier to explain...

Cool - where can I do that? I'd like to have it to carry with me in case of an emergency. We don't eat out all that often, and if we do, we generally end up splitting it anyway, so no big deal on that.

I order a glass of Water every time, even though I won't drink it. It is just easier then saying no twenty times.