Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not to change the subject, but I bought some compression knee high stockings for the plane ride home (for my upcoming surgery 6/17). I bought the size that fits my ankle/calf measurment. I struggled to put them on and they feel really tight. Once I got them on, they feel pretty good (except where I bend my knees. Is this the way they are supposed to feel? Is this helping or cutting off cirrculation? Did anyone else buy these? I tend to swell up with fluids (when flying) and am worried the restriction will cause more swelling. Advice, please?

Edited by SIZE SEVEN

I would advice not using them. Compression knee highs are sold by calf size but don't take into account length from knee to toe and this can result in actually increasing leg edema. If you're driving, get out and do three laps around the car each hour. If you're flying, keep flexing your toes and legs... point them towards the seat in front of you and then flex them up towards your nose.

When I fly on long trips, I've taken to wearing support pantyhose. It gives me just enough help to lessen the swelling I normally get on long flights.

Thanks for your replies. Both are very helpful. I plan to get an isle seat on the plane

and walk around some. It's a three hour flight so I'm not too worried. I wore those compression stockings around the house for about three hours to try them out and they did make my legs feel better, but you should have seen me try to take them off! They are so tight I danced around the bedroom for 10 minutes trying to get just one of them off! I think I might skip wearing them as you have suggested. The instructions say they "help" prevent thrombosis, but I still don't see how.

I had to have surgery on my varicose veins and then had to wear a full, panty hose, style. You should try putting THAT on. I cried the first time I tried.

I found this for you:

Compression Stockings Offer Little Benefit After Stroke

May 27 (HealthDay News) -- Compression stockings don't reduce the risk of blood clots in stroke patients, according to a study that urges revision of guidelines on the use of the support hose.

The study included 2,518 immobile patients in Europe and Australia who were admitted to hospital within one week of experiencing an acute stroke. Some patients received routine care plus thigh-length graduated compression stockings, while other received routine care only.

Ultrasounds of the patients' legs were performed between seven and 10 days and at 25 to 30 days after they were enrolled in the study. The researchers were checking for deep vein thrombosis (DVT), a blood clot that can break up and get carried through the bloodstream to the heart and lungs, which is a potentially life-threatening problem.

DVT occurred in 10 percent of patients in the compression stockings group and in 10.5 percent of those in the routine care group. The study also found that skin breaks, ulcers, blisters, and skin tissue death occurred in 5 percent of the compression stockings patients and in 1 percent of patients who received routine care without compression stockings.

The study appears online May 27 and in an upcoming print issue of The Lancet.

"Compression stockings are used in the majority of stroke units. In this study, we have shown conclusively that compression stockings do not work for stroke patients. National guidelines need to be revised and we need further research to establish effective treatments in this important group of patients," study author Martin Dennis, of the University of Edinburgh in Scotland, said in a news release.

In the study, Dennis and his colleagues said that stopping use of "this ineffective and sometimes uncomfortable treatment will free up significant health resources -- both funding and nurse time -- which might be better used to help stroke patients."

SOURCE: The Lancet, news release, May 27, 2009

does anyone here take prevacid or zantac. my dr. has me on both. and i am not getting any relief. i asked him to change my meds and he just added the zantac. wants to do a stint.:confused1:

Elizabeth,

Thanks for this information and the time you took to look this up. I couldn't find a benifit for them (stockings) either. I think doing the walking and plane exercises will be enough. I'm not good at staying in bed. What did you do during the two days after surgery in the hospital? Was walking around hard after surgery? Does everyone get acid reflux? I don't usually get that so I'm wondering why so many people seem to have trouble with it. How long will that last after surgery? Sound like some people have it all the time.

Elizabeth,

Thanks for this information and the time you took to look this up. I couldn't find a benifit for them (stockings) either. I think doing the walking and plane exercises will be enough. I'm not good at staying in bed. What did you do during the two days after surgery in the hospital? Was walking around hard after surgery? Does everyone get acid reflux? I don't usually get that so I'm wondering why so many people seem to have trouble with it. How long will that last after surgery? Sound like some people have it all the time.

I had surgery in the early afternoon on a Wednesday (the second and last case of the day). The next AM, I was awake at 6 AM and showered, washed and dried my hair, dressed, and was ambulating in the hallway. I went outside the ER entrance and sat on the bench. Walking was NOT hard at all.

As for reflux, I had none. The ONLY time I had a little hint of heartburn was when I went to solids and took one bite too much after "full" had registered. I learned from that and don't experience it anymore. Dr. Aceves wants his patients to take Nexium 20 mg once a day for 3 months post-op.

does anyone here take prevacid or zantac. my dr. has me on both. and i am not getting any relief. i asked him to change my meds and he just added the zantac. wants to do a stint.:confused1:

A stent? Do you mean a cardiac or a biliary stent? I don't see how either would help heartburn. Have you had a cardiac cath?

Prevacid is a PPI but Zantac isn't. So Zantac only helps with acid after it's produced. Can you talk to your doc about increasing your prevacid dose or switching to a different PPI.

I use Zantac. Is your RX or OTC? I buy the OTC ... 2 = 1 RX ... if I've got bad reflux, I'll take 4 OTC which is equivcalent to 2 RX ... it helps me; however, priolsec works better for others.

Vegasangel, yes that would be great! Wasa I wasn't sure how often you went. But yes, Vegas if you want, PM me and send me your address so I can send you some $ or however we want to do this. (I have a paypal account too).

Hi ppl. Is *nexium a Vitamin supliment* for the first *month* after surgury??

No, it is a PPI, a proton pump inhibitor. Your stomach produces stomach acid, sometimes with a smaller stomach it is still producing enough acid for a whole stomach and we get a bit of reflux. A PPI prevents the over-production of acid. A lot of doctors keep their patients on it for 1-6 months following a sleeve.

There are several PPIs on the market. Nexium, Nexium mups (dissolves in water/juice), Protonix, Prilosec, and Previcid. Sleeve surgeons seem to favor Nexium.